1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2500 0r 3500DW Dodge for towing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by riflegunbuilder, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I am in the market to upgrade my truck. I am struggling with going with a 2500 Cummins or 3500 DW.For now I am pulling a North Trail 28BRS they say GVWR= 6900. My plans are in the next year or so trade up to a 5th wheel, something along the lines of a Keystone Avalanche 340 Tg listed weight 11780.

The truck will have to function as a daily driver plus tow vehicle. I usually am towing 200-300 mile trips about two times a month March through October. What are your ideas?

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

3500 DW, nothing better than having 4 rear tires on the ground while towing a load.

3. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

I've been using a ford powerstroke crew cab dually since 96. Been pulling a 34ft 5th wheel most of that time. If I ever wear this thing out I will buy a 3/4 ton deisel. Preferably one of those cab and a half models. I really like having a full size bed for general p-up use. The dually usually has a lower rearend ratio than the non dually types giving you greater towing power but less fuel economy. Go to the mfgrs website and check out the specs as far as towing capacity. generally the 2500 series has nearly as much as the 3500 series within a couple of hundred lbs. Do your homework then make up your mind. The shorter wheelbase on the non crewcab models will give a somewhat rougher ride because of the shorter wheelbase.

Good luck
    Bob

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

I got a Ford 350 diesel dually with the tow package last year. I pull a 42' 5th wheel toy hauler.

You do not need something that big but I really like the idea of four rear tires in cause something happens.

Remember that pulling is the easy part. You need enough truck to stop the unit. I nearly creamed a guy that pulled out in front of us on a highway. The unit slowed without swerving at all.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.