1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

25 straights and older shooters.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Pa), May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Pa)

Barrelbulge(Pa) Well-Known Member

Are there any guys that have been shooting for more than say 5 years, and have not had at least one 25 straight? Mike.
  2. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I know of one guy at my club that has been shooting about that long and has never done it. Although he only shoots once every two weeks or so for fun.
  3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have been shooting trap about five years and was averaging 23 in the first six months and have never shot a straight in trap. But after six months our machine was replaced with a wobble trap that was set at the widest angles and highest to lowest angle and I'm still at 23 with lots of 24's. If it was just regular trap I feel I would have numerous straights but not so with wobble. I average in the mid to low 90's with all four gauges in skeet. No straight is not something you want to admit though. LOL Jackie B.
  4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Took me a year and a month to finally do it. The older guys at the club had told me once I did it once I would start having them routinely. Well it's not quite as routine as I'd like but they were right. I still get excited inside when I do it. I now have many 50's and several 75's. If I could just get my 100 I'd be tickled to death. Been close with several 99's and a slew of 98's. I've been shooting Registered since 2006 so I'm still wet behind the ears.
  5. WJN

WJN TS Member

I started shooting this year and had a 25 straight about a month and a half ago. I think it was a fluke and the stars were just aligned. I normally shoot between 20-23 per round with an occasional nightmare. I do remember the day I hit the 25 I felt like it didn't matter what I did every clay was going to break. Only time I ever felt that way. Now I seem to be set with a hand full of brain farts each round.

Jim
  6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I think I might of had a 25 straight years ago when the Braves were still here in Milwaukee?
    Steve Balistreri
  7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

You mean Boston, Steve lol
  8. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I started shooting when I was a teenager. I only shoot for fun, and never participated in the ATA events. My club dropped out of them years ago. I didn't shoot a straight until I was 59. But it sure was fun.

Chuck
  9. Barrelbulge(Pa)

Barrelbulge(Pa) Well-Known Member

Chuckie, congradulations you got it. Mike.
  10. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Had quite a few before I stopped shooting in the late 80's.

Started back in the mid 2000's.

Whatever I had , if anything, is gone or is on hold.

Approaching that big 70 doesn't help either.

Regards....Gerald
  11. schockstrap

schockstrap Member

I'm a firm believer that if you have the ability to hit 20/25 you have enough skill to hit 25/25. Those last 5 targets are all lost to the mental game inside your head. Everyone has their own way of getting over that hump -- some use a key phrase, some develop a series of steps to follow in order to keep their mind focused, and some people do things like visualization. I would recommend reading Lanny Bassham's book, "With Winning in Mind" to get a better understanding of the mental game -- it's cheap ($10-$15) and a quick read. There are other books/mental management systems out there if for some reason Lanny doesn't strike a chord, but honestly it's not about talent or physical ability once you start averaging above 20. The same holds true for 50's, 75's, 100's.

--Dan
  12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Active Member

25's and 50's are no big deal but 100's are getting much tougher. At age 64 I don't believe it's gonna get easier!!
  13. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

I had my first 25 after about a month and a half shooting trap, the guy who was helping me out got his first a week before me and he has been shooting 20+ yrs. I wanted so bad to break 50 and in an ATA event ran first 25 and was excited and missed the 28th bird I was so bummed that I ran the rest I was so excited to get a 99 that didn't realize I ran the second 50. 75 will be tough but this weekend I plan to get my 75, 100, and 200 at the buckeye shoot.

keeping possitive its all in the space between the ears. If you think it, it will come....
  14. Brady509

Brady509 Member

Dan,

If you can hit one bird you can hit them all.

Brady
  15. schockstrap

schockstrap Member

Brady,

I guess I agree with what you said, as long as you can _repeatedly_ hit one bird you can surely break them all. That's where I think the 20/25 comes in... if you're averaging 20 or better out of 25, you're not just hitting targets based on luck -- you've established some kind of repeatable system. From that point it's just "hit 1 target", repeat.

--Dan
  16. Ross

Ross Active Member

They're not getting any easier @ age 71, but once in a while. As to those 100s not yet, the closest I ever came was missing the 94th and having to settle for another 99 then two weeks later missed the 93rd for still another 99. Quit shooting for a couple years when my better half had cancer. (she is a survivor, 3 years now) Thinking about getting back into shooting a little more, so maybe. Ross Puls
  17. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

OLLIEDAWG I turn 78 this June. My yearly handicap average has gone down about 1 bird for the last 4 or 5 years. I am having trouble hitting the bottom lewis class any more. Wine may get better with age, shooting does not seem to.

Clyde
  18. ljutic73

ljutic73 Active Member

I've been shooting registered targets for 34 years and the last few have been a little scarce when it comes to 25 straights, but I ran a 50 straight in Calgary on the way to a 96 back in April...felt pretty good...been a while since I did that...
  19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Active Member

Clyde, I can only hope to reach 78 and still run a few straights. Congrats on hanging in there. To be 30 yo again and know what I know now with the money to prove it!!
  20. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

If you have been shooting for any appreciable length of time, you have seen and broken every angle that is thrown many times over. Juts keep telling yourself that and then go do it!.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.