1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

25 Gibbs info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jimborn, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

I have reloading dies, etc, which was given to me. The parts, which are strange to the eye, I believe were to produce the 25 Gibbs cartridge...not a clue, any ideas? Very strange pieces included, maybe sizing, necking, I do not know. All die looking material, in great shape but very strange configurations to fit the loader and very different shapes at the terminal ends. Just curious, and thank you for any help. Jim

2. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

There was a guy in the U.S. name of Rocky Gibbs. He built a lot of wildcat cartridges and rifles.

You may have some things rifle bugs love to collect! GAP

3. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Thanks for the info. The box includes many different "Die looking parts" with weird looking terminal applications, but nothing marked on the machined threaded parts, how is one to know what the heck are they?? I know that they were machined in the early to mid 1950's. The Gibbs, looks like it may have been a show stopper, very interesting to me, just wish the man that had them was still around, he could tell me in an instant, but that shooter is only in my fondest memories RIP. Thank you Jim

4. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

Yep, this is Rocky Gibb's .25. What you gonna do with these dies?

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The Gibbs round, as designed by Rocky Gibbs, is a much "improved" 30/06 case. The shoulder is moved forward a BUNCH, and the factory 25/06 round should not be fired in the Gibbs chamber.

When I had one with a 26" heavy barrel, I resized the 270 Win, creating a false shoulder, and then trimmed to 25/06 length to get an easily made case. Fire forming gave me a case that was the equal of a 257 WBY. This case, like the Ackley Improved rounds, does not stretch or need trimming.

Details escape me, but IIRC, 68 gr H4831 behind a 87 gr bullet gave an unreal muzzle velocity and an unreal muzzle flash. Bore life was very limited, but a feral dog, when harassing my cattle across a valley at about 400 yards could be torn up badly. If it was running, I could hold a little in front of the nose and almost cut it in half. Seems it was SEVEN HUNDRED FPS FASTER THAN THE 243 WINCHESTER!!!!

The best round in the Gibbs line is probably the 30 or 35 Gibbs. The smaller ones are barrel burners. The 30 Gibbs (According to the load data listed in Cartridges of the World, 10th edition, the 30 Gibbs has a 389 fps advantage over the 30-06 and a 139 fps advantage over the .300 Win mag) is a beast, and the 35 (250 gr @2750) will do well in Canada or Africa.

6. Butler

Butler TS Member

i would recommend just googling the cartridge or his name and u will find enough reading for a week, Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fireforming for 25 gibbs

shooterworld employeejim gibbs