1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.243 Loads for Coyotes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skg123hunt, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skg123hunt

skg123hunt TS Member

I have dusted off my old Remington 700 BDL .243 and plan to do some coyote hunting with it. Does anyone have a favorite coyote load that doesn't do too much pelt damage?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    This is like asking if anyone makes a smaller hand grenade.

3. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

Been shooting this load for 20+ years. Has good accuracy with my .243 and have taken many coyotes and deer. Speer 85 gr boat tail, with 36.2 gr of H335.

4. Timd3200

Timd3200 Member

Try the Hornady Moly coated 58 gr V max load. They should be devastating on coyotes .

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I suspect you'd have to use FMJ bullets if you don't want to do much pelt damage?

6. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I shoot the 75 Gr V Max in my 6MM does a good job not bad hole and slowing it down to 243 vel I would think it would be fine. I would be a bit concerned of the lighter bullets under 70grn your barrel may not shoot those well dependent on twist rate. My rifles realy like IMR 4350 it's old school but so are most my rifles.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

65 grain VMAX and 41.7 gr of Reloder 15.

Great shooting load.

HM

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

You may wish to consider Varget powder if you are shooting in areas with great temperature variation...like really cold or really hot.

9. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

When I could shoot lead bullets at coyotes the 75 gr V-Max bullets were my favorite. I reloaded them with 39.0 gr of IMR-4064 in my 243 Win ammo. I didn't get many exit holes but when I did, it wasn't pretty.

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

P.S. I stopped a big 'yote in his tracks with a 40 grain v-max out of a .222 carbine. Of course I was close to the 'yote, but no exit hole.

11. cal_1

cal_1 TS Member

Not what you were after but a while back I bought some federal ammunition and they used 70 grain SPEER TNT hollow points. They have worked great but don't have a load for you but work something up around this bullet. Box says velocity is 3400 ft per second. Let me know I am almost out and will have to reload myself they don't make it anymore.

12. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I shoot 70gr Nosler Ballistic tips moving at around 3690fps. devastating results, also it may vary from where I live to where you live but a $7-$10 coyote pelt I wouldnt worry much about tearing them up, shoot to kill!!!! Just ordered a new Savage 12VLP DBM in .243 today, I hope they have it in stock!!! Should be a tack driver!!

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I like the Ballistic tip 70gr also over a near max load of IMR4350...but when a lot of shooting is involved I load the 80gr Rem Core-lokt bulk bullet over H414..very accurate and economical and not real destructive when only driven at around 3200fps in my Savage

14. shrek

shrek Active Member

with the 243 there is no guarantee on fur friendly.

around here the pelts are not worth much either, too much stray dog in the gene pool, makes for coarse short pelts... some even about like a boar hogs bristles...

15. xtinman

xtinman TS Member

I use a 50 GR HP Varmint Grenade by Barnes. Makes a small hole going in and then explodes inside. Minimal hide damage.

16. Duckshoot

Duckshoot TS Member

I have probably shot a couple of pickup loads of coyotes for the fur market and after trying a lot of different loads i settled on using the sierra 70 hpbt match bullet as the best combination of killing powder and minamizing pelt damage, exit hole was around nickle to quarter size and with a few stiches with a thread and needle you were good to go.this was in a 6mm remington so your 243 will be about the same. i tried the 90 grain speer solids but they were poor killers and if there was any cover near by that is where the coyotes would head as soon as they were hit and you had to track them down.

17. ThomRogers

ThomRogers Member

Love my 243 for yotes tried all kinds of loads woodchuck 58grs to deer loads always came back to 100gr win. two reasons they shoot best in my gun, have to hit them at all yardages in order to carry them home, also deer season is at same time excellent deer round the heavy 100gr. most of the time punches right thew yotes leaving small exit. Also hunting in winter there is alot of wind and heavy bullet bucks the wind better at longer distances. In my case though I am chaseing them with dogs so if hit no problem I am not the one tracking them down, have fun with that 243 Thom.

18. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

Good advice from a lot of the aforementioned folks. The Sierra Matchkings don't do a lot of pelt damage neither do the 100 grn SP. Sierra' 70gn HP is a good bullet for knock down but it blows things up and the exit could be messy. It blows chucks to pieces to the point where it ain't pretty. problem with overly light bullets is they could wound and due to balistics don't hold there down range energy as well. A lot depends at what distances your shooting at. My 1965 243 BDL likes the 70gn with 40 gns of 4350 and the SPS likes the Matchking with just about the same load charge. Don't have the specific loads in front on me but the guns do like the old IMR powder.

19. darr

darr Well-Known Member

what Duckshoot said.Sierra BTHP works great.

Darr

20. lctrapshooter

lctrapshooter Active Member

43 Grns.IMR 4350 with 80 Gr. Remington Core-loct = DIME sized 5 Shot Groups

@ 100 Yds. from the bench.

Frank Fortyone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
243 75 grain vmax for coyote
243 coyote load

243 loads for coyotes