1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

24 Yard Advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goldenkc, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldenkc

goldenkc TS Member

I'm shooting in a handicap league, and my team shots good at 16 to 20yds.
    But when we get pushed back to the 24 or 25 yd our performance drops. Maybe
    it is mental, but I'm really struggling to figure out what the sight picture
    for breaking clays at 24yds. should look like. I use the same set up at 16 yds. for 24yds. I shoot a BT99 with a fixed rib, and no adj. comb. My team mates shotguns have fixed ribs, and no adj. comb also. I feel I maybe shooting over the targets, but not sure. Won't get a chance for a practice round til next week,and that same week I need to shoot a league round at 24yds. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Keith

2. Capt_ed

Capt_ed Member

Start a lower gun. It works for me.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

You may think you're shooting over them, but its more likely you're shooting under them. The shot takes longer to get out there from 24 than it does at 16. And in that time, the target has moved upwards.

If you are covering the bird on straight-aways at 16 yards, you'll need to be pointing over the bird when you shoot 24 yards.

Raising my comb helped me a lot with handicap targets.

Captain Ed's advice is good too.

4. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Don't be so concerned about the sight picture. Focus on the target and not your beads/gun bbl. Steve

5. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

You're shooting under them.......bt99's are very flat shooting shotguns right out of the factory.........get a comb cut when possible.....until then,adjust, and raise your point of aim to be above the bird.You'll know when its right by the way you break your birds.This just makes the game that much harder....
    Good Luck
    D.P.Reynolds

6. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Keith,

Everyone told me that I was shooting under them too. Conventional wisdom would only make sense that I was. But...I switched to my upper barrel that shoots flatter than my lower and all of the sudden I was picking up my scores.

Not every BT shoots flat. If yours is a high shooter, the longer the distance, the higher it will shoot. I once tried a 70's vintage BT that I had to hold 18" under the bird to hit it at 16 yards.

You would be well served to pattern your gun.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sounds like a POI problem but you need to determine that for yourself. The way to do that is get on a practice field by yourself and set the machine to throw straght away targets as viewed from post 3. Start shooting targets at post 3 from the 16 yard line and take note of how they were hit. Shoot five or so rounds and move back a yard. Continue this until you can see a trend of hitting the targets low or high (perhaps even off to the side).

If you are convinced your gun is shooting low then build up the comb where your cheek contacts with some moleskin. Try about 1/8" of the stuff for starters then go back and shoot the straight aways again and note the hits. If you are convinced you are centering the bird in the pattern (smoking it) then It looks like and adjustable comb is in your future.

When you do decide the adjustable comb is something you want, give Tron a call. He does great work at a fair price and he gets it done in a timely manner.

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The BT-99s with RR and RT first letters in serial umbers were higher shooting BT-99s.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

Are you getting lots of chips at the 16?

I doubt you will find you need a POI change of any magnitude to go from 16 to 27 yards. Maybe 1/32" or a 1/16" comb height - but I suspect 98% of us cannot point well enough to discern the difference.

Don Verna

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Install the full choke (if not in already) and use a load that's 50-100 fps faster and just shoot them the same. No difference at all. If anything lower your hold point a bit and shoot slightly slower than normal. "Relax" the target won't get away, and you'll do fine. Don't think and just shoot. Best of Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

11. goldenkc

goldenkc TS Member

I found this number(70D92821) on the barrel after I removed the forearm.
    Not sure if that is the serial #. But if it is, does that mean it may be
    a flat shooter.

Thanks, Keith

12. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

One way to find out is to put it on paper.

13. goldenkc

goldenkc TS Member

Thanks for the advice from everyone. Plan to pattern asap, and get to the
    range to practice, practice, practice.

Thanks, Keith

14. goldenkc

goldenkc TS Member

I patterned the BT-99 yesterday at 16 & 24, and it indeed is shooting very flat. When sighting down the rib, the beads are not stacked,but lined up. I
    will add some height to the comb to have them stacked, and see if that helps
    smoking clays at 24yds.

Thanks, Keith

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.