1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

231 Powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

While doing a little spring cleaning a came across a full 4# cannister of Winchester 231 powder. I'm certain I've had it for quite some time.

To remind myself what reloading recipe I would have used this for in one of the four skeet gauges of 12,20 28 and .410 I checked the Winchester powder reloading manual.

I'm pretty certain that it has no applicability for 28 ga. ( I think I used 540 ) or the .410 ( used 296 ) if memory serves me correctly. Also confident this powder wasn't for any 12 ga. reloading recipe. That leaves the 20 ga. - but I couldn't find any charted listing for the 20 ga. and 231 powder

I am almost certain I would not have used this powder for any rifle/pistol load - especially in sufficient quantity to warrant buying a 4# cannister.

I don't want to just pitch a whole 4 pounds of usable powder.

Anyone recall applicability for any of the shotgun gauges for Winchester 231 ?

Thanks in advance

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I've never seen a recipe for 231 in a shotgun shell. As far as I know it is primarily a pistol powder. I know many who use it for 45 acp.

3. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

It works very good in a lot of cast bullet pistol loads. I've used a bunch of it. Never seen a shotshell load for it.

Jim

4. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

The cast pistol bullet idea must be the answer. At one time I acquired a 40 gallon garbage can of used wheel weights and was making cast .45 caliber handgun ammo.

I liquidated the metallic cartridge reloading paraphanalia several years ago - must have neglected to sell the powder to the buyer of all the "stuff".

5. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

I have an old manual from 1976, it does not list anything for shotgun. An old burn rate chart puts it between Green Dot and IMRPB, it is listed for just about all pistol from .30 up to .45, Pressures are mostly on the lower side of other Wichester powders listed for Pistols, would think you could work up a load for 12 or 20g if you started low and just kept creeping it up. It,s one of those things that somebody worked out a load for that worked fine but never made it into the books. someone will chime in with some info

Argus

6. THE POSTMAN

THE POSTMAN TS Member

amboy49

zzt is correct 231 is strictly a pistol powder. I verified the
    info. as published in a 1981 and 1997 Winchester reloaders manual.

Recipes from the 30 Luger thru the 45 Colt.

Wilbur Poston

7. THE POSTMAN

THE POSTMAN TS Member

amboy49

zzt is correct 231 is strictly a pistol powder. I verified the
    info. as published in a 1981 and 1997 Winchester reloaders manual.

Recipes from the 30 Luger thru the 45 Colt.

Wilbur Poston

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Great powder for the .45 ACP. Used a lot of it when I shot IPSC.

Jim Skeel

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Good stuff for .45 ACP, but not as good as Bullseye.

John C. Saubak

10. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I might have a use for it before you toss it. Bryan

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I got a surprise when I looked up the burn rate. I though it was a pistol powder too (I use it for 9mm), but it looks like it could be used if you can just find a load. Good luck.

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The only thing you could possibly safely reload 231 in a shotgun shell would be a ultra-light 12 gauge.. like 1/2 to 5/8oz.. with a plastic wad and alot of filler. I did this years ago..but found Bullseye was a much better powder for that task.. Other than that.. stick to reloading lead pistol bullets with it.. and or jacketed bullets using verified data. 231 is an excellent pistol powder and meters excellent.. When I commercially reloaded..I used over 60 pounds a week between 2 Camdex and 2 Dillon 1000's.. I think there is more to powder than its burning rate.. Burning rate is a measure of time.. not pressure. With my face close to the chamber.. I really don't want to experiment there.. With all the knowledge on this board..and not 1 person having a positive thing to say about 231 and shotgun shells.. I'd accept that as a truth..

13. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

I really like it in 357 and 44 loads with cast boolits, it and Unique are the best for target loads.

Rick

14. 5spd

5spd TS Member

I still use 231 for all my .45acp loads....so throw it my way....:)

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I also have never seen data for it or considered loading it in shotshells.

At one time, I commercially loaded pistol ammo with the Camdex and Dillon 1050's. I used whatever I could get cheapest, but used a lot of 231.

Good to have you back, Mike. :^)))))))))

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Thanks Friend.. I missed alot of my friends from here.. The many kind words helped me much.. It's hard times for everyone.. just.. well.. it was piling up on me.. and I was not good for anything for a while.. All Good.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
231 12ga load

231 powder

can you load shotshells with win 231
how much win 231 for a 45acp shotshell
win 231 powder 12ga
win 231 shotgun loads

winchester 231 load data for shotgun

winchester 231 powder