1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

23 yd Help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gordy h, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordy h

gordy h Member

OK Guys
    I give up and need help bad, Ive been shooting for 30 years and can't get past the 23 yd line. I can brake 16 yd targets with the best of them, 24 ave.
    i've had more guns than most gun shops, tried chokes from mod to extra full.
    Go to shoot the jackpot on Sunday and break 25 16 yd and lucky to hit 15 at 25. Seems like the most I miss are straight away targets. I've read books by Bennet, Missildine, etc. Any honest help would be appreciated . Thanks Butch H

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Hey Butch,

I actually had to add a washer to the comb to raise my POI to get off the 23. I was stuck there for 6 months, in 2 months I was at the 27. If you are missing straights, you are shooting under them. Also, if you hold a high gun at 16, you probably move the gun up very little on straights, in effect almost spot shooting them. Move back and that same reaction time is not fast enough. Holding a little lower will force yourself to make an upward move or practice making an definite upward move from your higher hold.

JT

3. prince_of_darkness

prince_of_darkness TS Member

ok let me get this straight 16 yard targets 24 avg??? that computes to a 96% average out of 100. and you think a 96 average is shooting with the best of them??

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

You just may have an eye(s) problem. Get checked by a Dr. that understands the hand & eye concept as pertaining to a sports activity. Also, check for cross dominance which will become more pronounced while shooting a handicap target.

Get Phil Kiner's DVD, it has alot of good information.

Curt

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I spent three years on the 23 and applying this rule got me to 27 fairly quickly: "The farther back you stand, the lower you have to hold and the higher your gun must shoot."

Try it - it works!

Ed

6. otnot

otnot Active Member

I agree with Ed completely. I got stuck on the 25 and had to raise my comb 3/16 and holding at the roof of the house. Kiners new video is well worth the watch.

7. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Ed gives you good advice. I thought I was going to grow roots at the 23. Raise you POI slightly with maybe 1/8" washers and hold lower.

Everyone is different but in order to change you have to change something so try some of these suggestions and see what the results bring.

Jerry

8. gordy h

gordy h Member

Thanks guys
    I'll try your suggestions, even turn the other cheek for the Prince of darkness
    Butch H

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Don't worry Butch. The Prince's singles average for 2007 was about 96%.

10. prince_of_darkness

prince_of_darkness TS Member

tim88 was it that high???

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Well, actually just a tad under Princie...

12. canada

canada Member

slow down a bit. if you are missing straight aways, make sure you get a good look at it and make sure that it is in fact a straight away. in handicap, those just slightly off straight away targets look like straight aways, and if you jump all over them you'll likely miss.

pat lamont

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed gave good advice but there is a limit to how low one should hold the gun. For me about 2 feet below the top of the house is my limit.

Pat Ireland

14. littlebear

littlebear TS Member

This is one time we should not dismiss Prince of D. His point is the the original poster has a 96 average. Or a B class. It is not reasonable for a B shoote to think he should be on the 27 yard line. This not intended to be a put down just a simple statement.

15. verypoor

verypoor Member

if you push the gun thru the target.like hc teaches,yardage shouldnt matteer

16. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

23 is the hardest to shoot well imho. I actually find the 27 to be easier--I think what it is is that at the 23 there's a little more gun movement required than at the singles,but it's only a little and most people either overswing or swing like they are still at the 16. At the greater ydgs. there is less gun movement required BUT it's easier to go over a target. By the way,I don't subscribe to the theory that you have to learn to shoot every ydg on the way to the back fence in order to learn to shoot from there. The ata requires it,but you'll never learn to shoot from the 27 without shooting from there every chance you get.

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

None of the best shooters have a 25 average for a round of 25. They are all 24 point something. HMB

18. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Butch H

Ok if you do good from the 16 yard line then why not try to go back up closer instead of refusing the yardage reductions ok this is if you are shooting a lot of registered targets, I know a lot of people wants to be on the 27 yard line just to say they have been there well I have been there in the past and shot just good enough to not move off of it for a few years but never had a winning score to win squat even at a small shoot.

All I got to say if you fall in this catagorey then take your reductions and start over and the more you shoot then if you need to be futher back then it will happen.

By the way I won't be shooting much at all this year and if the A.T.A. wants to send me a couple of yards off in the mail then I will gauntee I won't waste their time and stamp to send the mail to me im sure I still would need a few more yards off for me to be competetive.

Foggy

19. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I am having a similar problem, I am finding that I have to raise my POI, I am now looking into having an adjustable rib put on my gun. Ed's advice is very true.

20. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Best yardage shooter I know, "pretend its the 16 line see it kill it follow through". As stsated earlier I to find it a bit easier when I pratice at 25 yards +. He also gave me advice on hard rights and hard lefts "there are no hard lefts or rights" just shoot the easy right and lefts. I know i got nervous when I first started shooting yardage, You just need to relax and shoot with the confidence you have at the 16. I also like shooting fast 1oz 7.5s 1290fps. from the 25

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
23 yd trap

trap from 23 yd