1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

23-24-25-19: What might have been...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

These were my scores in singles yesterday in only my third ATA shoot. My first two were Feb and Aug, so I've not been putting much work into it.

Sad part is, I started on station 4, and my 19 was 5-5-2-2-5. Of those 6 misses, 5 were hard lefts. My first two from station one were hard lefts and misses, so I was cooked after that. I even swung left on a straight-away, and had to recover and hit it. At that point, I was laughing out loud at myself.

Sight picture changed, left eye took over, foot position too far right and it got to me as I got tired, stopping the gun on left handers? I don't know. It was over so quickly that I couldn't figure it out.

By the way, lost penalty-B by one bird.

I know some of you warn against turning the oscillation off, but I need some confidence restored on one and two on those lefties.

Danny

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

It looks like you know how to break the targets and if your going to let your confidence be hurt but just a couple of bad stations then you have more problems than missing a couple of targets.

Just shoot a little more ... don't set the machine for hard lefts or for straight aways or anything else but just shoot or better yet get a real live person to stand behind you for a couple of stations and then let you know what your doing wrong ... live in person advice is far far better than screen advice.

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

I have been helped immensely by having someone watch me. But that person must know what they is doing and know what to look for. There are only about 5 guys at the club I shoot at that I will listen to - and of those; only three take enough interest to help out new shooters.

If you can, take a two day clinic from a real "pro". Frank Hoppe and Nora Ross do a good job and I have taken clinics from both. There are other good ones out there. Ohye is more for the advanced shooter (just my opinion).

Don

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Buy (or look at) Phil Kiner's DVD....it's all explained as to why your score took a nose dive.

Curt - Delaware

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

First, get a certified coach if you can find one. The vast majority of shooters, regardless of their individual ability, do not know how to teach. Second, do set the trap on hard left and if you have to stand on 1 and shoot 500 targets before you groove your swing, do it. It is the same process as golfers use on the driving range. We are no different.

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

Practicing the old "sandbag" routine eh? Gotta get those first 75----THEN drop a few.

7. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

When I do stupid crap like that I blame it on "CHOKE UP". Keep shooting it will happen again or not. RG

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Phil Kiners DVD shows and explains what happened because it happens to all of us at one time or another or three and four times for that matter ... Sounds to me like you were not seeing certain targets and making common mistakes in trying to over come being able to see them, which Phil explains in the DVD and video ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I ordered the Kiner DVD today (Monday). I also hung my Jordan wall chart, which sadly had been rolled up in a box since March.

I will be a good guinea pig for the chart. I plan to do the 100 mounts per day exercise. I have been shooting more SC and skeet lately, so let's see if I can get my average up by dry-firing, as Terry claims he does. My club's next ATA shoot is the end of October, so I'll keep up with number of live rounds between now and then.

Danny

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

"Sight picture changed, left eye took over, foot position too far right and it got to me as I got tired"

I also suffer from occasional crossfire especially from Post 1 & 2. I would try a crossfire preventer front bead or the Magic Dot tape patch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.