1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

22yd handicap approach

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DaveXT, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

Do you lead more than at 16 or change anything?

Thanks
    Dave

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If you're using 1 oz loads at 16 I'd change to ounce'n'an'eighth for 22, other than that don't change a thing.

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Shoot a good 3 dram factory load and change nothing else!!

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Shoot your 22 yardage the same as the 16's. The only thing that changed for me was the bird looked a little smaller.

5. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

First of all...thank you for starting a thread that actually has something to do with trap shooting!

Secondly, since I am trying to get to the 22, I will just read the responses rather than spewing an opinion1 Maybe I will learn something! Martinpicker

6. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

I don't know what your shooting for loads? 980 fps to 1250 fps ?

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

A lot of shooters refer to short yardages as "modified singles" but I certainly didn't find it that easy on my way back. I got to the 23 and was stuck there for three years before taking Phil Kiner's clinic the first time - then I went to the 27 in less than 10 shoots.

I appreciate whay anyone would ask a question like Dave's.

Ed

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Shoot a little faster. The targets are a little father. The wall is the 25. So, you've got a way to go.

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I never added lead I justshott a bit faster and my hold point was about 6 inches higher. But that's just me

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Learning the mental discipline necessary to shoot good singles scores will also help you shoot better handicap scores!

The game of handicap shooting does change at the 23/25 yard line, depending on your ability to make the proper bird/bead connections. That alone determines how fast or slow you should attempt the shot on singles OR handicap shooting!! You can shoot only as fast as your personal comfort zone and accuracy pointing zone allows YOU!! Any attempt to speed up or even slow down won't work well for anyone over-all.

I've won 27 yard belt buckle awards with my 1 ounce loads even when the top dogs were there? Just a tad of food for thought.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.