1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

22's comin back?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bigbore613, Jun 7, 2013.

1. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

The local Gander Mt. had Rem. thunderbolts $20 a brick.Whole pallet. one per cust. Jeff

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Now if only the hoarders have had enough, the shelves will get stocked again.

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Pretty sick situation when you can't even get a brick of 22's. I believe most of these guys who hoard this ammo don't even have a club to shoot at or even shoot that much in general. Work with guys who own stuff and don't even shoot it. Oh well, I just like using my stuff. Can you imagine the amount of guys that have been buying 22's in the small 50 round boxes and paying over $5.00 + for them just to hoard them. Brick prices go back to about normal. Who's the idiot.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've always liked having a good inventory of all shooting-related supplies and when the "crisis" started, I didn't need anything but if I saw the two 22LR loads I use with a pre-crisis price, I bought it. I haven't bought anything at the elevated prices that followed.

I do think that shop inventories are on their way back. Last weekend, I saw nice supplies of rifle powders at $24.95 to $28.95 per pound at two local gun shops and one that specializes in "black guns" had eight ARs on the rack at what looked to my uneducated eye like decent prices - $599 to $799.

Now that I no longer shoot trap as much as I once did, I don't need the 40-odd flats of new STS shells I have on hand and am considering selling some to fund a new rifle. But you just know that if I did that, I would go back to shooting like I used to soon afterward!

Ed

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Yep they are starting to show up- the people charging 50-100 dollars over their cost are not going to have anyone buying

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Granted hoarders are a major problem but that begs the question as to where they are buying their ammo?

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Cabela's has had CCI .22lr for the past week. One box per order.

Wayne

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Where do they buy the ammo? Wal-Mart,Cabelas, at whatever store sells ammo. All
    those bare shelves you see were stocked at most places at some point during the day. Because the time at which they do it is fairly predictable the fools show up and buy anything before you even have a chance. At my Wal-Mat they stock the shelves at 8:00 PM. There is a line that starts at 7:00PM. Your ass better be in it if you want anything that will fit in a pistol.

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I think people have finally had enough of the opportunistic vendors.

I was at a gun show in Indiana today. There were several tables with bricks of the low grade $18.00 .22 cartridges that had price tags of $60 to $85. More than once I hear people telling the vendor that they thought he was a crook and not only would they not be buying the .22's but they wouldn't buy anything from his display. Some of the vendors were loudly cussing at customers that said they thought the pricing was offensive. I was there a couple hours and I didn't see anyone buying at the scalper price.

As much of a pain in the neck as it is, my local places are starting to have some now that they are limiting each customer to 100 rounds per day. With the grandkids I was used to buying 500 to 1000 a month, but I could pick it up in one trip. I never though I would see the day when a person was compelled to hoard plinker grade .22 rimfire rounds.

I think the time has come where the panic money has dried up, so all of the scalpers will die out due to lack of customers.

10. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

The problem is extended by the hoarders, but the root cause is manufacturers, wholesalers, retailers all trying to make a big profit during Bama hysteria.

11. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

At 20 dollars a brick at Gander Mt no one is making a fortune. The scalpers are. Jeff

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Was in the Sparta, IL Walmart this week. On Tuesday there were 3 pallets of 22's on the floor. By friday they were all gone.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Barry,

I figured that would happen. People were acting like it was the last pieces of food on Earth. Craziest sh!t I've ever seen.

14. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Barry,

I've seen bunches of co-workers stream out of work at the mention of some ammunition at a local store.

I pulled this off a liberal website so I won't guarantee the accuracy, but the author stated "46,455 Background Checks For Gun Purchases Each Day Under Obama" and "total number of background checks under President Obama comes to 72,005,482" since he took office.

I think we better get used to seeing the shelves bare for quite some time? And at a recent gun show in Nashville there wasn't a box of 22 LR to be found?

TNCoach

15. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Was at Sportsman Warehouse in Missoula Mt. last week Friday. There was a line 50 deep to get their "alloted share"- I was told "they" are not hoarding, but going right home, packing them up for shipping after they get sold on Gun Broker- this happens twice a week! NICE,and the beat goes on!

16. EdSy

EdSy Active Member

The only local gunshop / FFL just advertised "500 .22 LR for $79.95". This is NOT target ammo. I was very disappointed to see this price, as he's been a generally good guy. Ed Sybert

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I received a full case of CCI Mini Mags from Midway last week. I had ordered those in June of 2012 so it was a full year wait. I didn't think I was hoarding or panic buying at the time but evidently there were a lot of other guys doing the same and that happened with every brand and type of rimfire ammo.

So as to the question of .22s coming back, I don't think we are out of the woods yet. Lots and lots of back orders left to fill. I also don't believe this is a 'manufactured' shortage due to some kind of conspiratorial effort on the part of the ammo makers. You don't operate a manufacturing business for long by restricting output if there is a market for the product. If you need to raise the price of the product then you just do that right up to what the market will accept. In this case the market is accepting 100% (+) price increases even on lower grade products.

The supply chain got wiped out by hoarding and the resulting back orders are keeping it wiped out. Fortunately most vendors are not taking back orders and there are limits at most places for the end user.

18. Avatar

Disgusting business, but be careful blaming the little guys. Walmart and other big chains can average the risk and keep prices reasonable. The little guys have a harder time getting ammo at good wholesale prices and also face considerable risk that they'll be bag holders if/when prices start to come down.

19. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Things will return to normal when folks quit buying them for $85 per brick on Gunbroker.com.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

20. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

Was at Remington plant in Arkansas and they are running 3 shifts and 6 million 22 bullets a day. He said they are not available to employees at this time because of backorders. jim w.