1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

22s are killing me!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DaveXT, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

After 6 months of shooting, I joined a summer trap league. In the league, you shoot at 16 and 22 yards. I can't figure out what to do on the 22s. Last night I shot a 24@16 yards and a 14@22 yards. Second round I got 24@16 yards and 19@22 yards. How do you shot the 22s? Lower hold? Slower movement? No change?

Thanks
    Dave

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Move your hold point on stations 1 and 5 a little further off the corner of the house.

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Question are you a one eyed or a 2 eyed shooter? Usually lower your hold point> Raise the POI on your gun a little. And too go contra to what others might think, do the exact opposite hold point more inside, this way you have more time to see the target, get more distance to get the gun up to speed & you won't feel a panic due to shooting at a streak.

Phil Berkowitz

4. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Increase your lead ahead of the targets .

5. bt994ever

bt994ever TS Member

I heard from a rifle shooter who got interested in trap shooting that typically, you want to hold the the shotgun lower than your hold at 16 yards.

For example, if you hold your shotgun at 2 or 3 feet above the trap house at 16 yards, the you want to hold the shotgun at the top of the house or a foot above the trap house at 22 yards.

BTW Your ideal shotgun hold at 16 yards should look like your shotgun is parallel to the ground.

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Shoot them the same as the 16's. Don't even think about a difference in yardage, just shoot em.

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

If your eyesight is good.. Little changes from the 16 to the 22.. The wall.. as it is known hits around the 25 yard line.. Up to that point.. it's just a place where you stand..

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dave, The biggest changes for most of us come when you find out you can't hit a quartering target with a zero lead like you can at 16 yard. The leads do not change from 22 yards to 16 yards if you use the correct lead from the 22 yard line to begin with. The correct lead is one and half feet on a quarting target. So if you shoot mostly 16's you may have learned the incorrect shorter leads that you can get away with there, but cannot get away with at 22 yards. This one small difference could be your only problem. Break-em all. Jeff

9. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

keep your head down and follow through, you might want to raise your comb 1/16 of an inch to raise your pt of impact.

10. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Try something other than #9 shot and a skeet choke. AJ

11. UncleWray

UncleWray TS Member

Disclaimer: I only shoot 27 yards for fun.

But I do shoot in leagues like yours.

What I found a few years back--I was shooting 16 yards with swing-through leads. Works fine at 16. My leads were way off as I moved back futher than 18 or so. I shifted to a more precise sustained lead at 16 and they transferred much better to 20+

I got the idea from James Russell's Precision Trapshooting book that I borrowed. Sorry, can't give you a page # to look at.

12. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

First make sure you are not jumping at the bird... don't move the gun until you see the bird you have alot of time... keep your head down and swing through in no time those scores will come up..good luck

13. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Look at the target and only the target. Move gun only when you get clear picture of the target and direction it is going.

14. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Same lead, same choke, same load as the 16...head down firm, don't rush, let the target mature..practice....you'll be smokin' them in no time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.