1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

22lr?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I am going to buy a 22lr tactical type rifle.looking at a smith&Wesson and a colt and even a Mossberg. any one better than the other?

tk's Tracy

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Personally i'd buy a Ruger 10/22 and then find a tactical stock you like. They are the most versatile .22LR rifle on the market. There are 100's if not 1000's of options available from barrels, stocks, high capacity magazines, sights, scope mounts, triggers etc. etc. I love their rifle so much i have two of them and i'm looking at another.

3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I agree with grntitan on the Ruger, although I bought my son the Walther G22 - just so cool looking... (warning here - it is a bull pup design and I am left handed - be careful of the bolt handle if you are a south paw).

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Somehow, .22lr and tactical just don't seem to go together in my world....lol

5. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I have tried 22 on trap but miss more than I hit.

Lot of good 22s nicely made, new stuff like Colt, S&W, but hands down, 10/22 has more aftermarket goodies.

6. DUCKDIGGLER

DUCKDIGGLER TS Member

Hard to beat the 10/22....a very reliable rimfire. As the gents have mentioned....gobs of after market goodies to pimp it out. BUT if you are looking for an AR clone....I personally would look elsewhere. Just my .02

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

A friend of mine has the S&W and it functions perfect. Keep the bolt clean, they will eat a lot of ammo.

He had the Colt when they first came out. It says on the receiver made by Walther. It's actually made by Umarex (an air-soft company). Thats were he had to send for repairs, twice. You can't remove the bolt in it, and to go from standard velocity to high velocity, you have to break the stock down and use an allen wrench to tighten a spring in the back of the bolt or it won't cycle. Jeeze. Needless to say, the Colt is bye-bye.

Wayne

8. mako72401

mako72401 Member

I have 4 different 22 rifles: Henry 22 lever 10/22 S&W 15-22 GSG5 (MP5 style)

I love all of them, but I have to say the S&W NEVER misses a trip to the range with me. I take it every singel time I go. Way too fun and easy to shoot. With what everyone has said about the 10/22 and aftermarket parts... have you considerred the practically millions of aftermarket parts for AR-15s? They will almost all fit on the S&W 22.

I will never sell my 10/22 and still love it. But from sheer shooting enjoyment, the smith can't be beat.

BTW, I had the colt/umarex before the S&W, and would also agree that is is not nearly as good.

Jim

9. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Well one thing to consider about the S&W vs 10/22.

A lot of people who buy 10/22's spend a great deal of money on accessories and end up only using the receiver when they are done putting a new trigger group, barrel, stock, rails and whatever else they can find.

Maybe the S&W is cheaper in the long run, because it looks like an AR to begin with.

10. Draht Guy

Draht Guy TS Member

I agree with Wayne. I've had the S&W and the Colt. The Colt's look and weight more closely resemble a typical AR-15 but it is not user friendly. Its a pain in the butt to clean and has a lot of show parts that don't function. The S&W is a piece of cake to tear down, you can actually lock the bolt back for safety and is pretty damn accurate!

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Buy a real tactical rifle (RRA) and then get a .22 adapter for it. The dedicated .22LR ARs are not actually ARs but adaptations of the styling. Get a real one and the conversion kit.

12. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

I have a ar but did not want to shoot 22lr in it as it is sighted in at 200 yds and i dont want to change it.the coydogs come up to the house once in a while and a 22lr will take care of that. the 223 is a little over kill.a cheap bolt action would work but i think the ar's look cool.

13. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

What kind/brand of high capacity clips, do you find reliable for a 10/22??

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Doug--Steel Lips by Butler Creek.

15. Highrise

Highrise TS Member

the place you need to be for all things .22 is
    rimfirecentral.com

all you ever wanted to know

16. zzoom

zzoom Member

I have ruger 10/22 and S/W mp 15-22. Both are great guns, the S/W is just sooo much fun to shoot. When at the range, other shooters assume it is 223 or 5.56 until I fire first few rounds, get some funny looks from them, then they want to shoot it! Since I bought mine year or so ago, 3 more have turned up at local range, everyone absolutely loves the gun!

17. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I looked at both the Ruger and the Smith. Bought the Smith and it is a ball to shoot, easy to clean and super simple to take apart and put together. I am a huge Ruger fan but not for this rifle. I have the more expensive one rather than the standard models. It is very hard to keep all the mags loaded, my wife loves this gun!!!

18. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Another vote for the S&W! Regards, Ed

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Well, if you want a REAL tactical .22 LR AR15, CMMG makes a complete AR15 based rifle. These come in a wide variety of configurations, like 16" M4 flat tops to 20" A2 rifle with carry handle. Accuracy and reliability reports are outstanding. Many other uppers are not rated for full auto, but these are, which is a testament to their reliable feeding.

CMMG .22 LR AR15 Rifles

CMMG also makes uppers, in case you already have an AR15 rifle or lower.

22 LR Uppers for AR15 Lowers

I'm looking at this uppers for myself. Just deciding on what options I want:

CMMG Sierra 16" 22 LR Flat Top

CMMG also makes conversion kits for .223 AR15s so they'll shoot .22 LR, but the price of the uppers are cheap enough (some are $349) why bother with a conversion kit? Heck, some of the complete rifles are $649.

20. quartering

quartering Active Member

hk makes copies of their mr556 and mp5 in 22lr. good luck with it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.