1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

22LR Pricing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by panthers314, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

Ok...had to see it for myself. Local NC Gun Shop bulk 525 of Federals $99.99
    Bucket Remingtons $239.99.

Sold every day at Academy for 24.99 and 64.99. They get stock you just have to keep checking............

2. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Guess they have every right to charge whatever they want for an item. That's capitalism, after all.

You have every right to not buy that item or to buy it elsewhere. That's also part of capitalism.

The best part of all, though, is that you also have the right to remember that over-the-top price they were asking and resolve never to buy anything from that dealer again - as well as to let him know that is what you intend to do when the shortages end!

Problem solved, right?

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Exactly KIV

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The average price on GunBroker is $80.00 per 525 bulk pac.

Who are these guys that can afford to pay that much?

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

5. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Jim,

They are morons that go by the name Chicken Little. A fool and his money soon part.

Pat

6. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Took $312 worth of ammo I had purchased last Nov. from GM on a Black Friday sale to a local gun show a few weeks ago. Ammo was 1000 rounds of Federal 223 and two boxes of Remington Golden Bullet packs of 525.
    A LOCAL GUN SHOP had a table and bought them from me for $700, it's not just the chicken littles that will pay big bucks for the stuff.
    We have another small gun show coming up and I have an extra 15 boxes of 22lr and a two 100 ct. boxes of 223 I'm going to try and sell. $7.50 per box of 22lr and $80 for the 223's. We'll see if there is still a demand.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I admit to buying more than I need right now but I'm lucky to have two small gun shops nearby that still have and can get inventory and haven't raised their prices.

Ed

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have finally stopped my .22LR ammo purchases. I have about 15,000 rounds. If I find a good sale, I might relent and buy more.

9. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

About five years ago, a sporting goods store close to me sold PMC standard velocity 22LRs for $65/case. Thought at the price I couldn't go wrong. Bought all they had. Still using them for plinking.

10. pca7ggr

pca7ggr Member

"Bought all they had"

"I have found the problem and it is I."

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I hope to hell all the would be gougers get caught with their pants down later this year.

HM

12. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

"I have found the problem and it is I."

There is nothing wrong with taking an advantage of a good deal

And he still is shooting

A good scout is always prepared

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Heck yeah! I was a hoarder before it became fashionable. How many of you guys that are criticizing us hoarders would like to have 40-odd unopened flats of STS and Nitro shells that cost $52 each? And that many bags of shot that set you back $16.50 each when you bought 120 of them?

Ed

14. Catpower

Rick I always hear that but have many rounds that are very old, some 20-30 years and they still shoot as good as any of the new ones

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Short shelf life? You must be joking. I have 22LRs over 50 years old. Still shoot like the day they were born. HMB

16. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

It's not hoarding until somebody else wants it and can't get it. I bought out a local Kmart a few years back that had em on sale and then half again off that, at a time when you couldn't sling a dead cat and not hit a box of 22LR. Was it hoarding ? Nope it was an investment, a deal, a bargain, a chance of being in the right place at the right time. I would have to make a serious effort to shoot them all in my time.

Reminds me, as a young boy my father bought at auction a couple of pallets of black number six shells that had been in a flood. As I recall, he paid $35 per pallet, this was in the late 70's. We as a family with four boys piled up a mess of crow and small game for years with those shells. To this day near thirty years later, I still have some.

/babbling

Cliff

17. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

So far those .22LRs still go bang every time I pull the trigger. Sure hope they continue that way.

18. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I am wondering if the priming compound being used is no longer the old Lead Styphnate/Lead Azide compound. There is a move to remove lead from priming mixtures because of potential atmosphere release. The Navy has developed one potential replacement. I do not know what the long term stability of these lead free primers might be so I wonder if that is contributing to the incidences of mis-fires which seem to be increasing.

Here is a little article on lead free primer development by the Navy. Click Here

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I gave two of my Nephews .22 rifles for Christmas over 25 years ago, they are still shooting ammunition I bought for them over the years when there was a good sale ... I never realized how much ammo I bought them until I was talking about the price of ammo a couple of weeks ago, that's when my one Nephew told me he still had some that I got him from way back when and over the years and he wasn't close to running out ... You think he would of offered to give his Old Uncle some, yeah right not at the price they are today ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. Catpower

Maybe it is just Remingtons, because their bulk packs had a lot of misfires when they were new

I have only bought Federals for about the last 10 years maybe they fixed the problem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.