1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.22LR ammo -opinions-

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by valmet, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

which brand of .22 ammo do you feel is better and more accurate than other brands?? i know it mostly depend on the gun, but which brand is most preffered?? thanks, dennis

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Try some regular 40 grain winchester hollow points- you might be shocked at how well it shoots- supposedly made on the most advanced machines so it shoots as good as many brands of match ammo at a fraction of the price

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I believe if you are going with accuracy look for match grade ammo. Something like Lapua, Aguila or CCI.

4. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

A few years ago, I spent a some time accurizing a 10-22. Green Mountain barrel, lots of www.rimfirecentral.com tricks, big scope.

Wolf MT shot very well at 50 yards, WW bulk white box shot surprisingly well, a certain bullet weight Zapper shot almost as well as the Wolf MT.

The high $ ammo did not shoot appreciably better than the Wolf MT.

Still very fun to make a big ragged hole.

5. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Food for thought..

<i>Traditional Match Ammunition for 22LR is generally traveling at "Standard Velocity" of about 1070 fps... As fast as it can go without going super-sonic (its subsonic). This avoids the buffeting that can detract from accuracy as the bullet passes through the sound barrier. </I>

6. XT=dontmiss

XT=dontmiss TS Member

the best is whichever your gun likes.......try eley, aquila, and federal

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

All are firearm dependent. In my ruger mklll target pistol I've had excellent results with aguilla pistol and rifle match. Next cci standard velocity.

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Good entry level target 22's would be CCI standard velocity, Federal Gold Medal #714 You never mentioned what make 22 your shooting, or what you plan to shoot. Target ammunition for these guns can go beyond $1,500 for a case of 5,000.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I've had some pretty good groups from Lapua, Aguila but my gun tends to shoot best with 40 grn CCI Green Tag. As stated already it depends on your gun and barrel.

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

For a cheap ammo, it's hard to beat the CCI standard velocity stuff. The blue box lead round nose stuff shoots dime sized or less 5 shot groups out of my Savage MKII BTV at 50 yards. If I really get serious, the Eley Sport works like magic. That stuff will produce great results out of my Savage. I can almost 1 hole 5 shot groups with that stuff.

My S&W 22A will shoot anything with incredible accuracy. I wish I could do my part when it comes to a pistol. The best I can manage is 1 1/2" groups at 50' with 5 shots (off hand).

ss

11. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

My Smith model 41 loves to eat Remington standard velocity. When I was shooting pistol i could split playing cards with those shells. Bulge.

12. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I like CCI Blazer and Federal Amer. Eagle for general fun shooting. Aguila standard vel is what I use for scoped rifles. Remington is my favortie shotshells..... but by far, I believe they make the absolute worst 22lr ammo. Just my 2 cents !!

13. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

There is another answer to this question...

People who shoot 22's competitively will use the "best" ammo - either by brand and/or by what the firearm likes, but then they will go one step extra...

The thickness of the rim itself plays a role in the accuracy - said differently, the most accurate ammo has the most uniform rim thickness.

You can buy a gauge for this:

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-17-22-Rimfire-Thickness-Gauge-1-Each/

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=35218/Product/Hornady_Lock_N_Load_Rimfire_Thickness_Gauge

Just dump out some ammo - as in the Winchester bulk pack - and start measuring rim thickness - separate the ammo into to piles of 'like' thickness - you will be surprised at how well a specific group of these shells will fire.

People who are really into this will buy the best ammo and still sort by rim thickness.

Food for thought.

14. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I've shot thousands of rounds of Remington Subsonics through all my .22s (Cooper 57m, Anschutz 54 match, Winchester 52) and overall it has the best accuracy and bullet impact effect for the $$. The 38 grain hp is devastating on vermin and birds! It can usually be bought for under $3 a box.

Match ammo - Wolf MT, Lapua, RWS, etc. - is great if all you want to do is punch holes in tiny groups on paper targets, but at up to $10 a box the thrill fades quickly!

15. hillestadj

hillestadj TS Member

Eley or Lapua if you have the money. Wolf or Aguila if your cheap like me.

16. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Lapua Midas Plus. Also use a Neil Jones rimfire accuracy gauge on cheaper stuff.

17. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I'll second the Wolf Match. You can also purchse the Extra Match, but I don't feel that it's worth the extra money you pay. I can't tell the difference in groups out of any of my guns that I've shot it in.

JMO---Steve

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

CCI mini mag. This isn't target ammo but I don't punch paper. Accuracy is minute of a ground squirrel and the stuff functions flawlessly in every .22 that I have and doesn't leave a lot of gunk in the actions. Never had a dud or squib which is more that I can say of any other .22 ammo that I have tried.

19. peteodie

peteodie Member

Depending on what your shooting. I have a Sig 229 22lr conversion and it requires to high velocity to function properly. That said it seems that all manufactures of 22's have the fail to fire problem. The ones I have tried are Win, Rem, & CCI. Sometimes I can use the double action and the shot will go off or rotate the shell and it will work. If you are shooting a rifle I will differ to those that have one for distance accuracy. Pete G

20. late bloomer

late bloomer TS Member

I believe that my S&W Model 41 was designed for CCI Standard Velocity.

There is a Bullseye forum on the internet that should give you some excellent information.

Terry Sandlin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.