1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

223 reloading problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Grade VI, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

A friend gave me 200 Federal 223 brass to reload and the primers are real hard to get in. These shells have a blue dye on the bottom. Does the blue dye mean that they can't be reloaded? I've tried several brand of primers and they all seem to big. Thanks for your help......... Tom

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

dont know- but that could be primer sealer and you need to clean the primer pocket--

or even ream it-

plenty of commercial tools to do that

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If you have a case neck beburring and chamfering tool for centerfire brass, it will take the edge off the primer pocket openings. When I bought a Contender barrel in 7mm TC/U about 30 years ago, I bought five boxes of American Eagle .223 ammo to shoot in the TC/U barrel and fireform the brass into 7mm TC/U cases. AE ammo is a Federal generic product and has slightly crimped primer pockets. I made them easily reloadable with my RCBS tool.

[​IMG]

Ed

4. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

Thanks Ed...... I tried the deburring tool and it worked fine. Wonder why Federal ammo is different from other brands. Tom

5. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

"some" of the Federal 223 Rem is surplus mil spec, and that means crimped primers. Were they loaded with FMJ's ? Grubby

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

Sounds like crimped primers to me. And sealing compound...

I use finger nail polish to seal my primers. Works great.

Bruce

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

RCBS makes a primer pocket swaging tool for large and small primer pockets. Most likely, the primer pockets are crimped, since they might be used in semi-autos and/or "military" style firearms.

8. Em_One

Em_One TS Member

Blue "stuff" is a sealant. No big deal, and usually comes off after a few trips through the tumbler. Even some commercial Federal ammo has it.

I'd be willing to bet on crimped primer pockets. I use the swaging tool from RCBS - it goes into the press. I think it's better than the reamer because it's more consistent and you aren't removing any metal from the pocket. I've used mine on .30'06, 7.62x51mm, and 5.56mm and never had a problem. It's also probably the quickest operation once you get used to it, and it's only needed once.

I've read some guys complaining about bending the rod on the swager. Make sure you read the instructions and take the time to properly set it up and you won't have a problem. I've swaged several hundred rounds without a hitch.

9. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Sounds like it is Lake City Brass with the blue sealer on it. If it is, then it has crimped primers in it...

10. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

They can be reloaded. Some Federal cases are commercial, without a military-type crimped primer, and some have the crimped primer. To remove the crimps, and it sounds like that may be what you have, I use a Hornady primer pocket reamer (http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#501-588____-_1-2-4_8-16). It can be chucked in a drill, making quick work of them. Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.