1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

223 AMMO?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hoghunter, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoghunter

hoghunter Member

I know this has nothing to do with TS>COM, but we all are shooters, I am looking for 223 ammo to run through my A R. Looking for 1000 or so? Let me know of any cheaper plinking ammo or .224 bullets to reload (55 grain fmj)
    Thanks
    JR

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Good Luck!

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Black Hills is good, there are a couple different grades. Cheaper than Dirt has Lake City for under 10 dollars a box.

The link here is for wolf in 500 round tins for s119.00. I don't think you will find it cheaper. Wolf is not the cleanest or most accurate but OK for volume shooting.

HM

4. K-80 Jim

K-80 Jim TS Member

Here you go.....

5. M-16

M-16 TS Member

You would be crazy to reload 223 unless for match shooting. Military brass is a poor grade and swadging the primer pockets, and if you buy quality brass you can't reload it for what you can buy it for. Try a few diffrent reloads and buy quanity of what ever you and your gun likes, and bag the spent brass and scrap it as a bonus.

6. shooter62568

shooter62568 TS Member

I dissagree some of my best match loads are loaded in lake city military brass

7. M-16

M-16 TS Member

I didn't state you couldn't make a good reload from them. Do you disagree that it's brass is of a lesser quality. Also check uniformity many diffrent companies make military brass, and the spec's for it are lower than normal factory ammo.

8. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Keep your eye on the Sunday Dunham's adds for the Wolf. The last 2000 rounds I purchased cost $4.00 per box.

AJ100

9. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Any from Federal, Remington, or Winchester will start at about 350.00 per case right now IF you are lucky to find it.

shooter62568... Some of my best loads too have been with once fired Lake City brass that was reamed, sized, cleaned and trimmed when I bought it---shipped to the door for around 70.00 if I remember correctly. Won't find it for that price again!!!

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have loaded 223 and 5.56 since they came out. Military brass is generally more uniform in weight than commercial. If anything is less than ideal, it is that neck runout may be a little more than commercial. One will have good results with military brass up to 300 yards or so. One only has to decrimp primer pockets once.

Right now, Widener's reloading supply has bulk 223 bullets, from 55 gr to 75 gr. For serious shooting, the heavier the better, with the fast twist barrels. The 55 grain FMJ will work well for non precision shooting.

I have used Accurate Arms 2230 powder for bullets up to 55 grains, and AA 2520 for heavier bullets, since they were introduced many years ago. CCI primers may give better results in mil brass. I prefer magnum primers for Ball Powder.

If loading for the AR-15, get canellured bullets, as the AR requires a sturdy round. I like a Redding Taper Crimp Die, or the Lee Factory Crimp Die. The Lee is more tolerant with brass of slightly different lengths.

Oddly enough, the AR is fairly easy on brass.

11. ATF Agent

ATF Agent TS Member

I thought I read once that 5.56 brass is thicker and may result in higher pressures than .223 brass.

Is this a concern or simply a myth?

ATF

12. M-16

M-16 TS Member

Shooting Coach it looks like you have put a few rounds down range too. Thanks to many years as range cadree for my unit reloading for my AR has not been needed, and time to for reloading has been limited. I never tried the redding crimp, but the lee diffently made it easier. Only 223 hand loads now are for my Win model 70 coyote still experimenting for a good load.

13. Shooting Coach

I have spent the last several weeks segregating about 8000 rounds of 223, both commercial and military

Fed Commercial weights, from 93-97 gr.

LC-01 military weights, from 94-96 gr.

WCC-88 military weights, from 95-96 gr. (!!!)

Winchester commercial weights, from 95-97 gr.

I have not seen R-P military in years, so cannot verify that brand.

14. M-16

M-16 TS Member

I'm still setting on 40,000 rounds of FMJ so it should be a couple of years before I start reloading again. I have 500 rounds for my coyote of winchester brass. Figured the 500 ought to last my life shooting and reloading them. I wish I had the time any more, and miss the day's before kids when their bedroom was my reloading room. Load a few samples slide the chair over to the window shooting rest inside and a choice of 25, 50, 100, & 200 yd targets. I can't blame the kids they'll shoot with me now it's the wife that gets mad from the shots and the brass rolling around on the hardwood floor.

15. Shooting Coach

I dug around and found some Remmy commercial and got it on the scale.

Remington commercial weighed, in a lot of 20, from 93 to 96 gr.

Winchester, Lake City, Federal, WCC and Remington commercial and military weighed in from 93 to 97 gr.

When I weigh brass, I segregate 223's in 1/2 gr lots for the varmint rifle, and one grain lots for the Patrol rifle.

My Browning Heavy Varmint Boss, which has a 5.56 chamber, will boringly shoot .2 MOA at 200 yards, or .4" groups with precision loaded 55 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. My Colt AR-15 Competition HBAR with 16" factory chrome-lined heavy barrel in 1-9" twist, will stay around 1 MOA at 100 yards with precision reloads and the Hornady bulk 55 gr FMJBT, using the Lee factory Crimp Die. Precision loaded 69 gr SMK will shoot about 5/8" at 100 yards. I only shoot military brass in the Patrol Rifle. Not bad for a stock 16" Patrol Rifle with a moderate power Optical Gunsight.

Patrol Rifles are more accurate than commonly thought. Well built guns with matched receivers, proper barrels, triggers and optics will run with most heavy barreled bolt guns. Remember, there are NO bedding issues when the firearm is stripped for cleaning and service! Any part on the gun, including the barrel, can be replaced in 10 minutes or less. ;^)

For tactical targets past 200 yards, heavy bullets are better (hypothetically speaking, of course).

16. Shooting Coach

Dear M-16

I can't look up the twist for the Winnie, but seems it is 1-12". This should be good for bullets up to 60 gr. Shots past 350 yards will be enhanced by the 60 gr Ballistic Tip. Although the round was originally built around the 55 gr bullet, things have changed in 40+ years.

The quickest way to cut group size is to weigh and segregate brass into +- 1/2 gr batches. That ONE hull that is two gr heavy or light is a GUARANTEED FLYER. I also uniform primer pockets and deburr flash holes. Using the Redding Competition Shell holders, and finding out YOUR rifle's headspace will improve accuracy and case life, especially when using military brass. Precision Reloading has these esoteric goodies.

For your Varmint rifle, Hodgdon's Varget and Accurate Arms 2015 should get you where you want to be. Varget pretty much fills up the case, complicating the loading procedure if you use a progressive. 2015 is dense enough to allow case movement in a progressive without spilling powder.

I like the Redding competition Seater Die, and most bullet companies suggest loading .015" off the lands. I have found this works. Also, when loading several thousandths off the lands, the round is too long for the magazine.

On your Winchester, do NOT overtighten the middle guard screw. The front should be TIGHT, the rear fairly tight, and the middle snug. The original Winchester trigger is extremely tunable.

17. Shooting Coach

If you install Wolff Heavy Extractor springs and keep the chamber CLEAN, you will be okay with the wolf ammo. I put the AR chamber brush on a section of rod and chuck it in a drill. Takes care of chamber crud.

This is blasting ammo. I do not shoot it, but have set up numerous AR's to shoot it. A clean chamber is cardinal.

18. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Some times we just fall in it . Eight or ten years ago I shot alot of 223 and made the Gun Show rounds every weekend . I found if I went to a Gun Show on Sunday took notes of 223 prices and started dealing about 30 mintures before the end of the show I could buy some cheap . As of today I,m setting on maybe 600lb. of 223 about half that of 308 and alot of 30-06 .

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

In the 30 calibers the brass is thicker, and reloads should be lower to start.

In .223, the Lake city 92 is good, and has more volume than my Remington or Federal brass. I have no accuracy problems to 400 shooting PD's, and at 100 get grouups in the 4's.

HM

20. hoghunter

hoghunter Member

IF ANY OF YOU THAT ARE SETTING ON THE STASH OF 223 & WANT TO SELL 1000 OR SO LET ME KNOW?
    JUST SEND ME AN EMAIL
    THANKS
    JR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.