1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

221 Fireball Shooters

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kenf, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenf

kenf Active Member

I always enjoy the thoughts of the trap guys on these topics. I was wondering if anyone out there has a 221 Fireball that they use for varmints and small game. I'm looking at one to bridge the gap between 22LR and my Swift and 22-250.

Specifically, I'm looking at one in a Model 700, but also the XP-100 pistol. I have a 17HMR, but want something I can reload for cheaper than I can buy 17 ammo.

I'm also looking at the 17 Fireball and 17 Remington as alternatives for a tweener rifle.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't think you will be able to load for the .221 at a lower cost than the .17 HMR and actually component cost will be fairly close to what is cost for the .22-250 just a bit less powder.

Cost issues aside, you will probably have a lot of fun with the .221.

3. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

A friend of mine had the XP-100 in the 221 fireball. It was extremely accurate and fun to shoot. I'm not sure about the reloading costs but a great gun and caliber to shoot. I liked it better than my Thompson Contender in 220 swift. Huntinandhotrods

4. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

I have a Cooper 17 MAC4 , I load with 17 fireball brass and dies, a great shooter, $1200 delivered if intrested. thanks Ronnie

5. kenf

kenf Active Member

wolfram,

You do have a point with the cost side, but once you own the brass, midway pricing puts the 221 using a VMAX bullet at around 0.22/round loading 500 rounds, whereas 500 rounds of HMR are at 0.26/round. Granted that is only $20, and the time would be worth more than the $20, but you do have some more snot than the 17 and would probably be as accurate.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Ken you will have a ton more 'snot' than the HMR and about double the effective range. The .221 that I have experience with was a M700 Remington that was etremely accurate. What I liked about it over my .22-250 rifles was that bore fouling wasn't an issue and that is an important feature for a high volume varmint shooter.

I'm also a big fan of the .17 HMR mainly because you don't have to worry about reloading for it and you can still get very good accuracy out to 175 yards or so.

Try the Fireball - you will like it.

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

the .204 is a great round.

tony

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

So is the 223

9. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

Second the .223. Cheap and easy to find brass. Have one on a custom XP-100 with a Hart bbl. Did have the neck smithed tight so I have to turn the necks on the brass, but that is all I have to do. Shoots .250 5 shot groups all day long with the bullets touching the lands. Also had a .222 bbl on this action and it was not any more accurate.

I still love the 22-250 with muzzle brake. Eats up barrels, but great fun out to 250 yards.

10. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I am a little confused roadking "out to 250 yards"!? If that is all why not a little 222?! Tom Rhoads

11. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

With the muzzle brake there is hardly any recoil and you can watch your hit in the scope. Flatter shooting than the .223 or .222. A deuce is not as good of a choice for prairie dogs. It accuracy might be a slightly better than a .223, but insignificant in PD shooting. Cheaper and more available brass in .223 is a better choice. All this is only my opinion - that's why there are almost an infinate number of calibers to choose from. I shot lots of benchrest with a 6PPC and 22PPC - both way more accurate than factory cartridges, but that level of accuracy not needed for PDs and would cost a fortune in $$ and time to load 1,000 rounds to take on a PD hunt. Like I said - just passing on my opinion.

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Roadking,

What do you mean about the 22-250 eating up barrels. I have no experience with that caliber but was considering a rifle chambered in that.

Matt

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Love the Fireball. It likes a whole lot of powders and delivers almost 223 velocity with half the powder.

The 40 grain Vmax is excellent for this calibeer. 1680, RX7, Lil gun work geat.

That said, the 223 is the work horse and brass is easy to get and easy to pay for.

223 will easily go to 350 yards plus, the FB is done at 250 or so. When I hit a dog town I start with the Fireball.

HM

14. RoadKingPerazzi

RoadKingPerazzi Member

GRNTITAN - Nothing unusual about the 22-250. More powder and velocity eats the throat faster. This is true as you step up to more rifle. Also more typical is that you do not chamber a custom bbl in 22-250 so it is not as good of bbl as a custom .223. Since a PD gun needs to be pretty accurate, if it gets over 1 MOA, then at 250 yards you will have trouble hitting a PD. A .223 bbl will last longer, both because of bbl wear and initial accuracy advantage so that erosion of the throat still leaves decent accuracy. - That is all I meant. I will tell you that I enjoy shooting the 22-250 more due to the longer range even considering it's deficiencies.

15. kenf

kenf Active Member

I considered the 223 and have two AR's for what its worth. I just was looking for something that you don't usually see everyday. Plus, I like the name a lot. It just sounds cool.

I love my 22-250 and my Swift, but they are like drag cars, good for short bursts if you want the barrels to last. If you want to run for awhile, you need something that isn't burning as much powder for the bore, which has been covered.

16. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

I have a Cooper in 223AI that is a super gun 26.3 gr VV N133 53gr molly coated match flat base bullet and it at 3800 FPS on some days, humidity and temp makes a difference, toped with an old 24 X Leupold with a fine crosshair is hard on pararie dogs. Its my favorite for varmits. Thanks Ronnie

17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thanks RoadKing. Makes alot of sense.

18. BROWNST100

BROWNST100 Member

No PD's around here in Pa. but lots of ground hogs, fox and some yotes to hunt. I had been playing with both the 6mm TCU and 7mm TCU in Contender Carbines. Accurate and easy on the bbl. Lots of inexpensive 223 brass to use.

A 700 varmint in 22-250...a 40XBKS in 6mm Remington and to add something for the long shots a Ruger 1V in 25-06.

Vern

19. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

I have a CZ 527 American in .221 Fireball. I also own a 22-250, .223, and 243. The fireball has become my number one gun in the safe. The Fireball is surprisingly accurate and very easy to load. No need for the extra noise and velocity of the larger 223’s most of the time.

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'm really anxious to get my hand on a new 17 Hornet Improved...small, cheap and reloadable...check out Hornady

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

221 fireball barrel wear

221 fireball on game