1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

220 volt extension cord for shotmaker?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmOU, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Is there such a thing as a 220 volt extension cord? If so would it be safe to use one with a jim stewart shotmaker pulling 20 amps?

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    There are commercial cords, you just need to find a fully equipped hardware store.<br>
    <br>
    Or you can make your own from heavy conductor wire and put the ends on. That's what I do for extension cords for welders, though they'd be overkill for your purposes.

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

the 220 shot maker only pulls about 8 amps 12/3 will work for 25 feet or so rick

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

12/3 wire will work fine but it sure is hard to roll up when not in use. It is usually easier to just hard wire a section of 12/3 from an existing 220 V box to another fixed box near the shot maker. If you do this, you should not wire the new box from a box that is hot like I usually do. Take your time to find the right breaker.

Pat Ireland

5. oletymer

oletymer Member

Check your output at the current plug. After that check how far you need to extend. At this point you need to calculate voltage drop for the distance you need.

6. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

jbmOU, what breaker are you using 20amp or 30 amp? If you are using 30 amp you need to reduce to 15amp. I am using my 30amp dryer Receptacle and reducing it to 15amp with fuses, and I am using 50ft 12/3 extension cord, they are much easer to roll up than so cord. I cut the ends of the cord and used a 220v plug. Jim's Stewart Shot Maker watts are 1250 for the standard model and the Black Max is 1500 watts. 10tenner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.