1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

22 shotshells

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by oletymer, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oletymer

oletymer Member

These guns are not much use. A 410 with reduced loads are far more effective.

2. len w

len w TS Member

I remember about forty years ago I was at a scout camp and shot a round of trap using a 22 cal gun. I know it was a smooth bore w/ maybe a 3/8" choke in the muzzle. We shot at approx 2" clay targets thrown from a thrower, now I'm really guessing maybe 10, 12 yards. I remember there were sheets strung up for a background. I remember it was easy for me to break the targets, but it was really set up for scouts. We used the regular bird shot shells. I thought it was a fun game. Len Weller

3. famill00

famill00 TS Member

We use them to kill the occasional mouse in the garage. They are full on #12 shot usually.

Forrest

4. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

If you have to shoot something more than 20 feet away you have trouble, I would'nt be afraid to shoot them at mice in the house, Not much power, But when I was younger and that is all my dad would let me use in a .22 by myself I killed a crow a rabbit and a passing dove or two so I guess if your good enough they will do.

5. 5screw

5screw TS Member

Make sure you use a real 22 shot shell and not the plastic shot capsules. WW and Rem. still make the real thing. The plastic capsules pattern terrible. You could shoot at your house and miss it with those things.

Bob

6. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

Marlin offered a model 25MG 22 magnum shotgun bolt action they called a garden gun. The only ammo available is CCI 22 WMR shotshells 1/8 oz.#11 shot about 172 pellets. From time to time I take mine out to shoot some Targo and MO-SKEET-O. Winchester also made 22 magnum shot shells but are hard to find and expensive collector items today and are a paper wad and roll crimped. I have a few bricks of CCI WMR shotshells for sale 200 rds per brick. $35.00 per brick plus shipping.

As far as power goes I killed a Possum that was on my deck one night chewing things up and on cats that keep me up at night well I will keep that to myself.

7. SPORTALLURING

SPORTALLURING Active Member

I had a couple Winchester smooth bore 22s. A pump and a bolt action. I
    patterned them at 36ft using new federal 22lr shot. Threw a nice 12" pattern,
    used a couple SW bell phone books to attach paper target. Pellets went about
    1/4" into some pages. Still own the bolt action. Fun little guns!
    Sportalluring

8. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

I am sure all 22 long rifle shot is no. 12. Only WMR is # 11. I have about 40 vintage boxes of 22 shot and thats what I see.

SPORTALLURING the Winchester bolt action you have should be a model 67. Are you interested in selling it?

Sounds like some of you own Remington 572 smooth bores. I have four 572 in my 22 collection and I am going to tell you about two of them I find interesting. I have two early 572s that are unfired in the original box.

Both guns have a device on the mag tube for a gallery chain

Both guns have shell deflectors

Both guns are Rutledge bored with shot gun sights

Both guns are roll stamped on the left receiver Auto trap shoot and consecutive serial no. and Bin number hand stamped some what rough and stamped U.S.A.F. It makes me think the Air Force may have used MO-SKEET-O for training?

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I watched one of my buddies kill a flying pigeon inside an old minehole about 45 years ago with a .22 spreadshot. I certainly wouldn't try to duplicate that shot again!!

10. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

not good from 27!!!!!!

11. SPORTALLURING

SPORTALLURING Active Member

Whiz Bang sounds like you have a nice collection. Not interested in selling the
    model 67, its one of the early ones w/rifle sight. Tried to find one with the shotgun sight. Should of kept the pump, it had a routledge bore. I thought about collecting minature targets, decided to stick with collecting items
    related to The Sportalluring. Thanks, SPORTALLURING

12. oneidcharlie

oneidcharlie Member

The garden guns were normally 9 mm. Winchester made them years ago. Charlie

13. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I have a little side by side ,German made and from the size a childs gun, 9mm shot and .22 rimfire. Would make a cute project gun. Given to me as a basket case. It is a hammer gun and weighs about four pounds. There are some missing interior parts. Has cheek piece and sling swivels. Anyone interested ? Jeff

14. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

Hey oneidcharlie do you have a box of 9 MM shot in your shell collection? If not I have a full box for sale for $575.00 and I will include a Winchester model 36 9 MM smooth bore rifle with it. Gun is in good condition.

15. oneidcharlie

oneidcharlie Member

Hi Whiz Bang, Kevin told me you were going to be at the Tulsa gun show. Looked for you but couldn't locate you. I have a sealed box of Win. 9mm so will pass on yours. I had a shotshell box for you but sold it at Tulsa. Charlie

16. iw

iw TS Member

Whiz Bang, I would be interested in your shells and gun. Are the shells winchester? How good is the gun? Call or email me, 417-286-3066.
    Thanks
    John Boyles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clay target thrower 22 shotshells

how far will a 22 rutledge bore break mosquito targets

if i own a remington 572 can i buy a smoothbore barrel