1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.22 rimfire question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ntgr8, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

60 grain .22 rimfire, never heard of before, saw one today. Overall length same a 22lr, short case with alot of lead. What would the purpose of such a cartridge be???

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

They stay subsonic but penetrate like nobodies business...Made by Aquila,..they shoot great in my CZ, dont disturb the neighbors and are very effective on the groundhogs, coons and skunks that like invading my turf

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I've hunted pacas with them. They're effective with head shots at under 30 yards.

Keller

4. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Pachyderms?

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

They need to be shot in a barrel with a fast enough twist to stabilize them. Most 22 rifles are too slow, and the bullets keyhole like nobodys business.

6. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"Pachyderms?"</i></blockquote>No, pacas!

I live in Belize November thru April. They're common in the rain forests, woodlands and mangroves of Central and South America. They grow to be about 20 lbs and a family of them can easily trash a good-sized garden in one night. They eat just about anything. They're delicious smoked or spit-roasted whole or chunked and pan fried or in stews. I try to keep 2 or 3 in the freezer. (Google photo below to show size; they're not usually kept as pets)
    <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Keller

7. jhoward

jhoward Member

Look like a cross between a rat and an otter....

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I think I will stick to a Poterhouse

9. Unknown1

C'mon...not chopped cow?

Depending on where he lived, a smoked adult paca will taste like smoked pork or smoked dark meat turkey (which I prefer).

The odd thing about pacas is that they eat enough of anything to be farm raised like pigs BUT the farm raised variety really taste bad...almost fishy...compared to the wild ones. They get braised and chopped into stew meat with enough spices so you can't taste the paca.

Keller

10. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Looks like a mexican woodchuck to me...

Although I sold a lot of head shot woodchucks when I was a kid. Apparently(never cooked one myself..) they are pretty good if you get a young one that has fed on clover and soybeans during the summer. The old bucks are not as tender.

The 60 grain .22 are particularly effective through a suppressed Ruger pistol. Spec Ops troops in the 60's and 70's used a variant of the gun and shell. The pistol had an integral suppressor that made it look like a bull barrel target gun. Suppressor technology has improved so much that sub-sonic 9mm has replaced them. The Ruger pictured below is a modern copy of the early version. With the red dot sight and the trick trigger this is a squirrel killing machine! Sherrif in our county won't allow class III guns or I'd have one like this!!
    [​IMG]

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land

[​IMG]

Listen to Skeet Man. He knows what he is talking about.

In order to increase the weight of the bullet to 60 grains, it has to be lengthened. The 60 grainer is quite obvious in the above image.

It's so long that it will no longer chamber if it were placed on a .22 LR case.

So a .22 Short case is used.

If any of you will recall the twist rate formula, when bullet length is increased, the twist must be increased.

These 60 grains bullets tumble and keyhole in the original 1:16: .22 barrels. For those using suppressors, this invites baffle strikes, which can either cost a lot of money to repair, or in some cases it turns the suppressor into scrap metal.

There are special twist barrels available, and most are 1:10 or faster. In fact, EABCO sells such a barrel:

http://www.eabco.com/store/ruger-10/22-accessories/threaded-subsonic-10/22-accuracy-barrel-blue/

12. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Bob,

To hell with your Sheriff. You don't need his permission to own guns that are lawful in your safe. The only way to fly when it comes to Class III guns is with a Trust.

Not only does it eliminate the local fiefdom headaches, but you can list spouses and adult children in trust taking care of multiple people using the guns while you are alive. The Trust will also survive your demise making it easy for your loved ones to continue to own them or liquidate them without any heartburn.

I shoot the 60 gr. Aguila out of an 1:8 twist AR-15 with a conversion kit. "Thwip.......THWACK."

13. mooster1223

mooster1223 Member

Bob, If your Sheriff won't allow Class III items, form a trust and get them anyway!!! If you want more info, send me a pm. Suppressed hunting is not allowed in a lot of states but, as long as you live in a Class III friendly state, don't let a hard nosed Sheriff keep you from getting a toy! Paperwork is taking about 6 months now once you go pending.

My favorite is a suppressed 22 and then my suppressed 45 ACP. Both are more fun to shoot than my 9mm.

14. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Keller,

Damn, I had visions of a fellow with a pith helmet stalking a bull elephant with a .22 loaded with mighty 60 grain bullets. :)

Michael

15. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I have one of those EAB Co barrels on one of my 10/22s and they come threaded for suppressors. VERY accurate and most of the noise is from the action cycling and the bullet impacting. Never thought about trying them in my 1-9 twist AR15 and CMMG conversion.

16. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"Damn, I had visions of a fellow with a pith helmet stalking a bull elephant with a .22 loaded with mighty 60 grain bullets."</I></blockquote>Nope...more like a worn-out t-shirt, grubby shorts and a battered boonie hat squatting behind some ferns near a creek bank.

Keller

17. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.