1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.22 Revolver for CC?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

Between squads, a few of us were discussing the intricacies of concealed carry, I thought back on the classes I had taken. When the instructor asked what KIND of gun the student was planning to carry, the answers were all over the board, but usually did not include the common .22 LR or .22 magnum. It seems that any defensive action is usually at close quarters.

Why, then, would a person use a cannon when a few well-placed smaller bullets can do a lot of damage? The canons are heavier by a mile and the possible collateral damage is significant. Some companies are offering smaller semis that load with .380 9mm, and even .45. Still, they're a hefty piece of iron/plastic to lug around all day, particularly when loaded. Except for the massive differences in probable destructive power, why wouldn't a simple .22 wheel gun be a good choice?

Larry

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Drugs....

A .22 is not going to stop someone on drugs.

As for a well placed shot. Until you have been there and experienced the fright, a well place shot is just theory!

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Joe is right. A .22 won't stop a crack or metamphetamine induced BadGuy.

Wayne

4. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Neither would a .380 or .45 if the perp is not hit on the right spot. Remember seeing the autopsy pics of a perp, high on drugs, in a shoot out with police, who were using 9mms. The perp looked like a doorscreen. What brought him down and onto the autopsy slab was a single 12 gauge slug that hit him square on the spine just above the renal arteries, tearing the same. Chichay

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A .22 might work as a scare piece but it came down to needing to stop a bad guy right now I would say slim chance. I have shot a bunch of Jacks and other vermin with my .22s and unless you get them in the head, they tend to go a ways before they expire. In the case of the bad guy you could be SOL before it was over.

There is a lot involved with carrying a pistol so if you are going to all that hassle you may as well carry something that will do the job you need - 9mm minimum, something that starts with a 4 better.

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I always hear to get something that starts with a 4 or better too, that's why I got one that starts with a 5, if I miss at least he will be deaf

7. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

If nothing - not even .45 - will stop a drug perp, what's the point of carrying anything short of a 12 gauge slug gun? Yeah, that's pushing the argument, but carrying heavy metal doesn't seem reasonable for the average person. Believe me, I am NOT trying to be a wisea$$, just hoping to make this clear in my own head.

In a prior life, I was called upon to answer emergencies in a hospital. I recall one arrival that had been shot at very close range by his girlfriend. He was about 6' 6" and was big around. The .22 short bullets didn't all penetrate his wool coat. Some were stuck in the fabric. The guy was in fairly good condition, except for the one bullet that went through his neck. There was a lot of blood, but he survived. Hence, my thoughts regarding well-place (lucky?) shots.

8. Catpower

If all I had was a .22 I would gladly use it and if you can place the bullets good it will bring them down, shoot for their eyes a blind perp would be much easier to deal with

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I have a S&W 317 Airlite, its equipped with a Crimson TRace & the ammo I use is Aquilla Hyper Max, which says 204 ft lbs on the box. I know I will hit what ever I shoot at. Just got a Springfield Arms XDS, this is also a great gun. Shoot them in the head or the heart they will fall.

Phil Berkowitz

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

As Rosey Grier told Frank Sinatra "your going to shoot me with that thing?"

A. 22 is better than a brick, but less than a baseball bat. It inflicts only a stinging sensation, will not penetrate to vital organs, and kills thru infection days after YOUR dead...

Nothings perfect, but, you can get much closer to perfect than that!

11. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Larry, a .22 Mag. works very well. Joe joe90t

12. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The Israeli air marshalls used to use Beretta 22 lr's They stopped several hijackers dead in their tracks.

Phil Berkowitz

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Whatever caliber you chose to use...the right ammo for any specific purpose means the difference between success and failure..especially when your or your families lives are whats at stake...and practice practice practice!!

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I have a Walther PPK/L in 22LR I have carried for CCW. However, it is only carried when clothing dictates absolutely no other choice. And I'll probably have to empty the mag into someone and it will likely be facial shots.

For a while in the 1990's women who were recoil sensitive were purchasing the S&W Model 651 stainless Kit Gun in 22 Mag with a 2" barrel. It ain't no .38 Special, but with training it will work.

Ideally the minimum standards should be the .38 Special or 9mm for most people. As universal as these are, many have different needs.

Myself, my CCW handguns were chosen by size. Big ones work well for heavy winter coats with big pockets, but they're too large for beachwear.

Always keep in mind that a small gun in your pocket is vastly superior regardless of its cartridge compared to a gun that's too big being left at home in your safe.

15. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Anybody who KNOWS he is going to be involved in a gunfight would be stupid to come with a handgun. We carry a handgun because of convenience (portability) and because the chance we'd be involved in a gunfight in any given day is slim.

People, when shot, die only one of two ways: either they bleed to death, or they die a neural death (like when you're shot in the head). Those shot even in the heart, will be conscious for 2-4 seconds before they pass out when their cerebral pressure drops down low enough to cause unconsciousness, and eventually death. Can they empty their magazine at you in 2-4 seconds? You bet!

Anybody who thinks the .22LR is a pipsqueak may want to research what the CIA or MOSAD use to take out the other guy. A suppressed .22LR firing STANDARD velocity 40gr rounds. Not even hollowpoints, because they do not usually penetrate as deeply as standard solid 40 grainers. The 2 shots are almost always to the head, in the area of the cerebellum.

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I know I'm going to regret this Brian, but where exactly is your holdster in your beachwear??? Or will that pretty bikini clad cutie be asking you..is that your 9mil or are you just happy to meet me?

17. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

A .22 is better than not having a gun at all.

18. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

A .22 is plenty lethal - bounces around, hits a lot of things - Ronald Reagan damn near bled to death and he was hit with a .22 round that ricocheted off the car door before it hit him - between the ribs and into a lung. Your desire is to stop an attack - no gun will put someone down unless you hit them in a vital area. They may not make it far but they can do a lot of damage to you before they pass out. Stack the odds in your favor by carrying enough firepower to penetrate clothing, bone, muscle, organs - you will never, ever have time to aim for someone's head - center of mass and keep pulling the trigger until the threat is gone.

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Great! Now we're all highly trained CIA and Israeli operatives.

Carry what you want, and by all means schedule that exceptional training so you too will be able to handle that. 22 like a Navy Seal......

Otherwise, get a. 38 or equivalent.. stop dicking around....

20. Catpower

Big M, a .22 causes a lot more than a stinging sensation, I know that for a fact

When I was a kid my buddy accidentally shot me in the foot, it hurt like hell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.