1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

22 plinker, pistol or revolver

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rummrunar, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rummrunar

Rummrunar TS Member

I'm thinking of getting a 22, revolver or pistol, so I can take my son out plinking. I don't know if I want to invest the $$$ for something like a new Ruger, just to use a couple of times a year. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Sure hope this isn't in the wrong group. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bill

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You can generally find a good, used Ruger Mk I or Mk II at a decent price.

If you get a less reliable gun, you'll regret not spending a bit more.

3. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I agree. A nice used Ruger auto with the longer bbl & adjustable sights. A revolver would be safer but then you are stepping up to the Smith which will about double the price. You can get a cheaper single action Ruger for about the same $$ as the auto,but the auto will be easier to shoot accurately. If you get a late one drilled & tapped by the factoty you can put on a cheap red dot on a Weaver type rail. This will really make him want to shoot & learn all about it as it is so esay to hit the target. PM me if you need specifics. Tom

4. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Go to gunboker.com and put .22 in the pistol box and take a look. There are quality guns in both revolver and semi-auto.

JON

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

Agree with the auto and the dot sight. Whatever you do...don't get a single action for a beginner. Pain in the ass.

6. cnsane

cnsane Member

For plinking, you don't need a revolver in rimfire because you're not saving the brass for reloading. So it doesn't matter if the empties get flung where they'll never be found again. And auto's just seem to be a lot more fun to shoot, for most people.

7. cpd544

cpd544 Member

Ruger Mark I or II is the best .22 plinker ever made.

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

GSG makes a quality 1911 style .22. Reasonable price too. Shoots HV.22 only, not a big deal to me thats all I buy.

Wayne

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I prefer a browning buckmart. Check pawn shops and usually you can make them an offer for 1/3 less than what they have it priced to purchase the gun. Jackie B.

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I guess I must like being different. The best plinking 22 pistol I've ever had is a Ruger single six convertible. I don't mind unloading them one at a time and reloading the same way. Heck, I even managed to kill a few squirrels with it.

ss

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Something like this.

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

SS, I hate loading and unloading the single six and can't say it not a good gun though. When I want to shoot a revolver I get out my double nine so I can dump them or load them at one time. Jackie B.

13. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I just picked this one up last month after shooting someone else's Sig. Very accurate and takes down like a ordinary 1911 it's a Sig 1911-22 which I got for $398 total.
    toolmaker251_2008_030338.jpg

14. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

For approx $200, you can buy a new Heritage Arms single action .22/.22mag combo. They are made in the USA. A single action will teach a young kid accuracy rather than just shooting lots of ammo. (cheaper also). If you want to shoot lots of ammo fast, something like a High Standard "double nine" with a tip-out cylinder can be found at a resonable price. Personally, if I want to shoot as fast as I can pull the trigger, I prefer my Colt Woodsman. Larry Evans

15. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Go with a Beretta NEOS for about $250.00. This one can be coverted into a carbine with the kit. Consider a SIG Mosquito for about $325.00 depending on the model.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

16. moowho

moowho Member

Check out the Tarus 9 shot dbl.action. By the way here is plinker
    moowho_2009_14078.jpg

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    View attachment 228369

Jackie, I prefer the Buckmark too.

But a used Mark I or II can generally be found cheaper.

18. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

This is the pistol that Mike Battista mentioned, They are ok, but if I were to unload one of my 22 pistols this would be the first to go.
    toolmaker251_2008_030339.jpg

19. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

My favorite is the Ruger Bearcat. I have happy memories shooting rats in the chicken house. I have a Single Six now. Have bought and sold quite a few 22's. I always fall back to the Ruger as my favorite. Takes more time to load, but it's all fun

20. FlyerTom

FlyerTom Member

I am a wheel-gun guy through and through. Mostly because I really hate chasing after ejected brass, but in the case of .22 rimfires, I go with a Ruger MK III in that flavor. The teeny, tiny boolits are a pain to load into a revolver cylinder. Whereas if you get yourself one of those Ultimate Cliploaders, a magazine is pumped full in about 3 seconds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.