1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

22 mag.semi-auto rifle. Anybody make them???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Feb 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Per subject question.

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I believe Ruger makes their 10/22 in 22 magnum.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Not sure if anyone makes them besides someone like Magtec or Volquartson

People had converted Rugers and Remingtons to 17 HMR and several of some kind or another blew up

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

H and R made them, Ruger made them, nobody but Volquartsen makes them now...I'm pretty sure. The old H&Rs were in two grades, plain and really fancy.

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

CZ also used to make a very nice, all-steel one with detachable mag and the receiver screw-takedown design like the old Marlins and Winchester gallery guns used to have. It had a very good 2-stage trigger, also. A first-class gun, made the old-fashioned way.

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

One of many on gunbroker.com. I had one of these and it was a nice fun gun. Alittle more punch than the std. 22 LR. The one on Gbroker has the 10 shot clip. A little nicer than the 5 shot. Mike.

7. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

My Remington 597 in 17HMR had a recall and they converted it to 22 mag.

8. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Here's the CZ offering;

http://www.czub.cz/en/catalog/80-rimfire-rifles-cz/MSA/CZ_512.aspx

9. Hilltop

Hilltop Member

Ruger did make them several on gunbroker.. A little pricey 700.00-1000.00

10. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

Remington 597....Look them up

11. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Knapp used a Brno.

12. crusha

crusha TS Member

Wow...870 TB's link is very different from the one I used to own. That one looks more like the old French Voere.

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

To my knowledge the only 22m semiauto still made was the Rem 597. I was not familiar with the CZ. Jackie B.

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    HK made a model 300 rifle in .22 Mag many years ago. I have not seen one since the late 1980s. I recall they were accurate and reliable, but not common and pricey for those days.

Ruger made a 10-22 Magnum. I don't know why they discontinued it. The receiver was made from steel. These are fetching high prices now, usually starting at $600 and easily jumping into the $800 range, and higher for minty specimens.

Remington had the disastrous 597. The bolt was made from tungsten for extra weight, needed for cartridges more powerful than the .22 LR. Unfortunately when Remington tried to use this action for the 17 HMR, the bolts fractured and some shattered. I don't know if any 22 Mags failed in this way, but Remington discontinued them as well. (And then made it seem like the 17 HMR was at fault, which is not true.) (Edit - I checked the Rem website. The .22 Mag version is still being offered. Apparently they must feel the bolt is OK for it.)

Volquartsen makes a clone of the Ruger 10-22 Mag in both 22 Mag and 17 HMR. Both work and both are reliable. The 17 HMR has an auxiliary weight under the barrel that is linked to the bolt, increasing bolt mass. This is a very effective solution. I don't know if this was needed on their 22 Mag version. I suspect not.

I'm wondering if Alexander Arms is going to eventually make a 22 Mag upper for AR15s. They are currently making a reliable, accurate 17 HMR upper.

As mentioned above, CZ is making a 22 Mag semi-auto. I have no knowledge of how reliable or accurate this gun is, though CZ is not in the habit of making junk.

15. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Here you go............ gas assisted, the only completely reliable way to insure operation with all sorts of ammo. Expensive, but worth it.

Kip

16. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

and on Pallets.

17. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

I have a H&K Model 300 in .22 Mag. Excellent shooter and tough as nails. These are becoming quite rare today. Priced around 1k, but I believe the best one ever built. The Model 300 is based on a G3 style receiver and are very accurate for a semi-auto. A nice fixed scope (4x) and you've got something that's about perfect.....cya

18. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

The Volquartsen's at about $1200 are a work of art and accurate as 99% of us can shoot and you can get it configured almost anyway you want -- for a little more money. I have one in .22lr and it will pound them into nice small groups when I pay attention (and the wind isn't bad).

You can pay less but you can't buy a better one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

michael 22magsemiauto