1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.22 Mag or .17HMR

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shadow, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadow

shadow Active Member

Which should I buy? Why do you think so?

2. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

What do you intend to do with the gun?

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Hand gun? Rifle? Holes in paper? Woodchucks?

The 22 mag has been around forever. The 17 is sweet when there is no wind.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The 17HMR is probably going to be quite a bit more accurate in what ever make rifle you choose. It is a great round for varmints out to 200 yards, low penetration though. The biggest thing I use my .17HRM is jack rabbits. Excellent round for ground squirrels. Definately not a coyote cartidge.

I'm not a big fan of the .22WMR as the one I had wasn't accurate enough to be a 100 yard varmint getter so what ever extra power it had wasn't of much use.

SO you can see what my choice would be, what are you lokking to do with this new rifle?

5. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

When the 17 HMR came out, I tested it for trajectory and penetration at 100 to 200 yds.

It shoots a LOT flatter than the 22 Mg. at anything over 100 yds, but that little 17 gr. bullet lacks the penetration necessary to be very usefull at extended ranges on anything much over a pound weight.

I shot several woodchucks with the 17 and found it didn't have the punch to kill cleanly, at least at 100 yds and over.

On the smaller varmints, like 13 striped ground squirrels and animals of ~ that size, it is OK.

I don't consider it to be as usefull as a 22 Mg. especially since 22 Mg. ammo is available with better bullets than the original offerings by Winchester and CCI.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The 17 will be one of the most accurate rifles you ever shot. 22 mag is lacing in that area. As far as penetration goes I disagree. I put a quarter on the board at 125 yds and the bullet went clean through it every time. I decided to use two quartes stacked and it still went through. When I shoot jack rabbits at 100 - 150 yds they drop where they stood. Buy a Savage 17 HMR, you will be a happy camper. If I had to sell all my rifles but one, I would keep the Savage 17hmr

7. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Whatever you choose I would buy the Savage as Cuban suggests or the CZ rifle. They are very accurate.

8. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Try one of these,,you will love it,,,savage with accu-trigger

9. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I've had both and since I live in wv groundhogs is about the only varmints we have, I had a Marlin 882 tube feed .22 mag that would shoot winchesters in nickle size groups at 100 yards and I never lost a groundhog hit with that gun out to 200 yards. I tried the 17hmr and although it was accurate it felt like a high powereed air rifle, I did'nt have good success with it but that may be just me .I know others that swear by that caliber, But for me it's the .22mag. Just my experience!

10. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

For the last year, I've shot more 22 Win Mag than I have sub-gauge shotgun. I purchased a Magnum Research Magnum Lite with the carbon barrel, topped it with a Cabela's 6-18 turret scope, and found that it will keep Remington 40 gr. JHP (R22M-1)cartridges under one MOA at 200 yards (off the bench). With a bi-pod, in the field, I can't see much difference.

Like most of your answers here, I'm not a fan of the .17 because I live in areas where the wind blows. Nothing against the .17, it just hasn't proved practical for me. I have a stable of 22WRM's, and one of the least expensive, most accurate is a Marlin 782 with the micro-groove rifling. It took a trigger job (easy) to get it tuned, but I believe that it is one of the most underrated rifles around.

I hunt groundhogs, coyotes and crows in open fields in rural areas clotted with urban sprawl. The Mag-Lite has become my favorite, eclipsing my Ruger M7722MTV which will shoot just over one MOA at 200. The Mag-lite is just much easier to carry in the woods.

IMO,
    Kip

11. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

Rumor has it that some rifle manufacturers are going to be reintroducing the 5mm rimfire. Ammo is now readily available although I have yet to shoot any of the new ammo. My old Remington 5mm with the Remington ammo has been my personal favorite over the .22mag for years. I don't care for the .17 for anything tougher than paper.

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The 5mm I have seen in shops and gunshows. It is on the market. I will have to stand by the 22 mag because as we all know you can walk into any store, Gun store and or roadside store and you will be able to buy 22mag ammo. Can you say the samething about the 17? I will buy what I can feed. 22mag is avalable where ever you go. 22mag I say has a better knock down then the 17. If I was going to buy a 17 then I would go after and still want a 17 Rem. I have seen it punch a good hole in a fox one time. Tore the hide up so that it was worthless. LOL. I have my 12ga, 30-06, 308, 45acp, 38, 9mm, 22, 357mag and so on if the gov ever makes it hard to get a guns and or ammo. I will defend myself and feed myself during hard times.

13. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I'm sure the Savage is a good choice and so is the Marlin. I have the latter and it consistently groups under an inch at 100 yards. Last time I switched scopes around and had to rezero it, it put 3 shots at 100 yards under a half inch ctc. The trigger was nasty until I had a local gunsmith work on it and its less than a pound now.

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

THey are both great ..the 22 Mag is better than ever in both the rifles produced and the ammo has made great leaps...I was shooting my 17 HMR all the time until I tried the new 22 mags with the 30 gr Vmax ..my Marlin is about .5" at 100 with them and from 75 yards out they smack with much more authority...I've gotten to prefer my 17Mach2 because its quieter and just as effective as the HMR to me

15. Prettywood

Prettywood Member

22 mag Remington Accutip for 100 to 150 max... after that 204 Ruger to kill it dead!!!

16. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I have two Savage heavy barrel 17s, one with accutrigger, the other one a "project" gun that has been water damaged. The good one will give sub inch groups at 100...on that rare calm day. It does fine on ground squirrels, crows, starlings, and squirrels. It failed me on a coyote and a groundhog. I think the little 17 grain pill is too light for heavy bodied stuff (over fifteen pounds). BTW, both the yote and hog were hit in the chest.

I now have a Savage in 22 mag, a twin to the 17, accutrigger and Tasco varmint scope. Too cold to try it out but have five brands of ammo and am sure that it will shoot as well as the 17....I've polished the bore and it is ready to go.

Had a Marlin tube feed magnum and it wouldn't stay in two and a half inches for three shots at 100. The 17 does the sub inch for five shots.

Refresh this post in a couple weeks and I'll give you the group sizes for the 22.

17. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

stan,,in march of last year I hit a coyote in the neck with a .17 rimfire at 60 yds,,he never moved,,,.17's well placed will kill coyotes,,,

18. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

No doubt the .22 mag is the way to go for larger targets. I have seen coyotes run off after being hit with what should have been a lethal shot from a Remington .17 cal. because of the light bullet weight and no penetration. The coyote jumped and turned to lick or bite at his wound and was then shot again with a .223 and died on the spot. The hit from the .17 was for the most part limited to surface to maybe a half inch deep wound. Apparently the fast little bullet disentegrated on impact. Actually I guess stupidity was what killed him more than the .223. Edited to say I was talking about the center fire Remington .17 on the coyote not the rimfire.

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

None of my Ruger .22 Mags. ever shot for crap. They found other homes. My .17 Rem. is fun to shoot but a real pain to clean. One day I may try another .22 Mag. again.

My very knowlegable but not necessarily law abiding associates informed me the .22 Mag. is a real efficient Deer killer while the .17 is worthless. I am not willing to risk jail to prove their theory!!

20. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is 17hmr ammo the sam as 22 mag