1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

22 LR in 22 Mag revolver

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by justanother99, Nov 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justanother99

justanother99 Member

A friend and I were having a debate today, so I thought I would ask here and get an opinion...can you shoot .22 LR out of a .22 Mag revolver? My assumption is that it would be ok, like shooting .38 special out of a .357 mag. Any thoughts?

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Well, you COULD do it, but it would be far from advisable. The Mag case has a larger OD (by .016), so the LR case would rattle in the chamber. It may go bang, but you'll split every case, leading to an extremely dirty gun that you have difficulty getting the empties out of, and could could get gas and debris blowback as well. Not the same as a 38sp in a 357 where the cases are dimensionally identical in every way but length (the 357 is basically a "38 special long", increased in length to increase powder capacity)

Some companies offer revolvers with 2 cylinders, 22 mag and 22 s/l/lr. Ruger does this, and I believe some others do as well.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    At the very least you will have a badly bulged case that may be sticky in the chamber.

Most often the case splits, as pointed out above, leaving a very dirty gun and often sticky cases.

The worst case is when there is a case rupture, meaning the case blows in such a way that a lot of the case is dumped out of the rear of the action. Revolvers are particularly bad for this, but depending on how the feed ramp and extractor are made even bolt actions can dump gas out of the breech.

Then there is the question of accuracy. The 22 LR bullet will freebore for a short distance before it hits the rifling leade. This is because the 22 WMRF case is larger in diameter than the 22 LR case or bullet, and longer.

In the case of the .38 Special in a .357 Mag, these have the same case diameter and the same bullet diameter, so there is no problem with potential bulging or splitting. However, the 38 Special bullet will still freebore a bit. This causes some diminished accuracy in some handguns, while others don't have any accuracy loss. Note that despite the name, the .38 Special uses a .357 diameter bullet.

4. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Split case every time it goes off...........when it goes off.

D.P.Reynolds

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is not ok. HMB

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Have done it for years, and still here to tell about it. Just split cases at times is the only problem.

GneJ

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

There is a reason .22 caliber revolvers come with a .22LR and .22Mag cylinder. Absolutely not advisable. No, probably never hurt you in a quality gun but the question would be why?? They made a .22Mag so shoot mags.

8. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Don't do it. Split cases and poor accuracy. Just not worth it.

Is it possible? Yes.

It is advisable? NO!!

9. justanother99

justanother99 Member

Thanks guys!

10. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

The appropriate lesser-power cartridge to shoot in the .22 WMR, comparable to .38 Special in a .357, is .22 WRF. Not going to be easy to find, but it's the same diameter as .22 WRM and totally safe to shoot in a magnum chamber.

Midway shows it under both Winchester and CCI labels. Of course, it's out of stock.

Tony

11. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Who was saying about a method of slipping the LR inside a cutoff 22 mag case?

Think it leaves the sleeve in the cylinder after firing so you need a way to extract it

The bullet diameters are slightly different as well

12. grntitan

Mac,

I beg to differ on the bullet diameter between .22LR and .22mag. My calipers show them identical while the cases have their obvious differences in measurement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. grntitan

Barfin,

Actually, I forgot to zero my calipers. Really my intent was to show the bullet diameters to be the same. After zeroing the calipers this morning, I remeasured and the bullets and they came in at a matching .222 which is much closer to your stated measurements.

14. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Slug the bore and see what you get. It is not the same as most 22 LR.

Not much different, but different. Or better yet read the SAAMI specs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.