1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.22 LONG RIFLE ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Loyac, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loyac

Loyac Member

Which are the cleanest burning .22 Long RIfle factory rounds? Thanks. John

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I would vote for the Wolf Match Target or Match Extra. These are loaded in Germany using Finnish VV powder.

That said, I get better accuracy after I have fired 10 rounds or so and the barrel is fouled.

Ed Ward

3. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Are you talking the more expensive 22's or the standard box mart type 22's.

For more expensive I like the Wolf Match and Aguila Standard Vel. For the cheapies it seems to be a continual toss of the coin--although I tend to try and stay with the copper coated bullets.

4. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

What is so hard to understand about "What is the cleanest burning .22 LR round?" The man didn't ask what is the most accurate or what is the cheapest, he asked what is the cleanest burning. I don't pretend to know the answer to his question, but I can pretty easily understand it.

5. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Most are either interested in cheap or accurate, I too wonder why to "cleanest burning"......Why would it matter?....Just asking.

6. dbart1948

dbart1948 Member

John - For NRA bullseye competition, my round of choice is CCI Mini-Mags. They are clean burning, fairly economical, and they work well in my match pistol.

Dave

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

some 22 ammo is just nasty, my ruger MKIII eats anything, but the cheaper 550 round box stuff I get fail to feed,fire,eject in short time. The Agulia ammo can shoot much more before any issues, my 10/22 rifle loves the wolf match grade. my model 25 bolt action takes anything. but shoots the short sub sonics the best at 50 yards.

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

no5shooter

"Let me see you are concerned that he asked a specific question and you say you don't know the answer to the question but you can understand stand the question.

"Which are the cleanest burning .22 Long RIfle factory rounds"

Well I don't understand the question at all especially the last two word. I have never seen .22 ammo that wasn't FACTORY.

AS far as the cleanest is concerned I found Eley Tenex to be the cleanest. At $200.00 plus dollars a brick they are nice and clean but not very practical.

Bob Lawless

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Another vote for CCI mini mags. My M41 S&W will eat them all day long in the squirrel fields with no jams or duds. Can't say that about any of the other ammo I have used. (I don't use the high end target stuff)

The mini mags do leave a white wax ring on the muzzle crown but that wipes off easily. Other than that a solvent patch down the bore and a dry one completes the cleaning chores, no brushing required.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Believe it or not..the stuff from Mexico....I use the Aquila Super Calibri ultra light ammo...it leaves no dirt at all and its slow and quiet that I can plink in my backyard

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've been shooting Winchester Dynapoints in my Kimber since I bought it in 1980 and it seems to like them....and I don't clean it all that often and it's a tack driver....

12. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

What is the quietest 22 lr ammo. Trying to get the wife used to shooting a handgun. I heard there are some 22lr's that are almost as quiet as an air rifle. Maybe I heard wrong. Been doing alot of that lately.
    But really looki ng for ultra quiet 22 lr ammo.

Phil Berkowitz

13. CalvinMD

Hit the link I put in...the Aquila ammo Co. makes some really cool stuff...this page shows what I use and its as quiet as a pellet rifle and tons of fun to shoot indoors or out in your own yard

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Phil, if you are shooting a .22 revolver, the CB caps by CCI and Remington are very quiet. These won't work an auto loader action but the CB longs can be manually cycled. Aquila also has some similar loads but I haven't shot any so no comment on those.

15. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

The Remington Sub-Sonic .22 long rifle rounds are very quiet and I find them accurate also.

16. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Calvin,
    I just printed the link you posted about AGUILA .22. This will make some of my neighbors happy. Lately, they have been complaining when I shoot my 30/338 Mag. in the back yard.
    Joe Jordan

17. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I never really cared how dirty a .22 was until I bought a Single Six Ruger. If my daughter and I are out shooting it, It will get gunked up pretty fast around the cylinder/barrel area. However I think I will just clean it more often instead of paying gobs more for clean ammo! Holy crap, $200 for a brick?

Steve

18. tachyon

tachyon Member

Phil, with respect to your question on the quietest 22 round.

We took a Marlin 781 with an old 4x Weaver scope, a bunch of different .22 ammo and an Extech sound level meter out to the farm. Shot at 30 yards, with the sound level meter 5 ft away from the rifle. Set meter to record maximum loudness for each shot. Shot 5 rounds and averaged the readings. Also shot an RWS Diana 48 with a .177 round for comparison. All sound measurements were in decibels (dB). Background noise level was 35dB and there was very little wind. Results:

RWS Diana with RWS Superpoint pellet. 88 dB. Measured pellet to be 8.3 grains and calculated 22 ftlbs of energy.

CCI CB Longs 70 dB.

CCI CB Short 73 dB

Remington Subsonic 82 dB

Winchester CB Short 68 dB

Aguila Colibris 60 dB

The Aguila Colibris was the quietest with all of the above making less noise than my pellet gun.

19. CalvinMD

Joe,...I just can't understand why? Thats just ridiculous somebody getting riled up over a little bit of peashooter noise

20. Mismost

Mismost TS Member

Never paid much attention as to how clean 22 ammo shot. I do pay attention to how well it shoots...and I've found good 22's to be picky to very picky about the ammo they like. I would rather shoot a dirty round than miss. All my 22's have a tag that reminds me what ammo to use in THAT gun.

Summer time on a Texas pond, turtle shooting...it don't get much better than that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cleanest 22 long riflre ammunit