1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

22 kt gold baseball cards

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by calilori, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calilori

calilori TS Member

So, I was at a yard sale and found a binder with 22 kt gold baseball cards in it. I thought they looked pretty cool so I bought them. Now, I'm wondering if they are worth anything. I paid less than $1 per card, so I don't think I was taken too badly. I just got home and came here first before I started researching because it seems like there is always at least one person here who knows something no matter what the topic, and well, as foolish as it may sound, I trust you guys more than the average bear. I don't need any comments about how gullible I am or how stupid it was to buy these things, because I don't care. Even if they aren't worth anything monetarily, I thought they were cool and if all else fails my nephew would probably love them. In the meantime if they are worth anything then I might be able to make a little profit. Either way, I figure it's a win/win situation for me. That being said, I haven't really looked through them yet to see whose cards are in the binder. I do know that a full set would be 50 cards but the guy stopped collecting them when money got tight about 15 or 20 years ago (or so his story goes) so there are only 43 cards, not a complete set. Thank you in advance for your help.

2. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

What is the Brand? Topps, Donruss, Fleer or ?. Also what is the year? This is usually found on the back. If you are bitten by the baseball card collecting bug, I have about 1-1/2 to 2 million card I will sell cheap. ( Nothing after 2001 when I gave it up.) Topps made some cards for distribution to the troops during desert storm. They have a small gold palm tree in the upper corner on the front. I have tens of thousands of 1992 Topps "Gold" & "Gold winners" but they too are worth a lot less now than in 1992. Let me know if I can help further, and no I'm not interested in buying them, although I might buy large quantities if they are dirt cheap. Larry Evans

3. calilori

calilori TS Member

Nah, they are nothing like that. They are one of those Danbury Mint collections. They are just really cool to look at. They are all in the plastic sleeves so they are in great shape. Like I said, I bought them because I thought they were cool.

4. mallardbend

mallardbend TS Member

calilori,

These type of cards weren't issued by a major card manufacturer so they are not usually as collectible as your standard issue cards. With that said, folks who collect specific players would be the ones most interested in collecting them. I would visit ebay and see if you can find comparable items. In general I would say if you paid less than $1 a piece you are pretty safe.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The 50 card set sold for $649.00. HMB

6. calilori

calilori TS Member

Thanks guys! I have some pretty interesting ones like Dizzy Dean, Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb, among some of the other oldies but goodies. And hey the guy threw in a McGuire and Soto bobblehead/baseball card set, so I got some interesting things no matter what I choose to do with them.

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

When I was a kid in the 1940's I used to live a couple blocks from the Sheldrake Hotel in Chicago where the National league visiting teams used to stay when they were playing the Cubs. A bunch of us used to buy bubble gum with baseball cards and hang out at the hotel to get our cards autographed by the players.

I'm sure I still have those cards but I don't know where my mother put them. When I find them, I'll sell them and retire.

8. calilori

calilori TS Member

I'm sure these are nowhere near as valuable as those would be. I was thinking about that the other day myself. When we were kids, an old lady who lived down the street died and had no heirs, her landlord was a friend of my parents so they cleaned out the house and they found boxes of old baseball cards. I remember we used to play like a fantasy baseball league with them. We'd choose our players and actually set them out on the yard where they would get all dirty and wet....if only!

9. BigBruno

BigBruno TS Member

As long as you're happy, who cares? I don't understand though why a guy would collect 43 of 50 cards and stop, knowing the collection is useless without the remaining 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.