1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

22 colt huntsman question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by musky, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musky

musky TS Member

I know this is not a shotgun question, but i know a lot of you guys are extremely knowledgable on all sorts of firearms. If i upset anybody with this question i am sorry. I have a colt huntsman 22lr pistol, my 30th edition blue book sais this gun does not have a hold open, but as you can see in the picture it does. The serial number is 071399 S. Can anybody give me any info and or date of manufacture. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    [​IMG]

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Date of manufacture is 1950. Could also be 1975. HMB

3. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

My uncle had one w/a 4.5" barrel. Really liked it. I think it had a hold open also. Not real sure. Nice gun btw.
    Jimmy

4. sasquach

sasquach Member

Are you sure it is a Huntsman? It looks like it has adjustable sights which would make it a Targetsman. I don't pretend to be a Colt expert, but I have one of each and a Match Target also. It looks like my Targetsman, which has a hold open. I will have to dig out the Huntsman to see whether it does or not. I know the magizine latch on all three are different. The huntsman has a detent latch, the targetsman has a spring on the catch. and the Match Target has a button.

5. LABWILD

LABWILD Member

"Hold open" refers to the slide being locked or held back after the last shot from the magazine. The Huntsman has to be manually locked back by the hold open lever. The Woodsman and other pistols lock back after the last shot from the mag. I am no expert, so others may want to offer there experiences. Lee

6. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

Go here this should answer all your questions or at least link you to a URL that will
    http://www.colt22.com/

7. sasquach

sasquach Member

Lee, Now that I think about it, I think you are right. Both the Huntsman and the Targetsman lock open manually but the Match Target stays open on the last shot. Haven't messed with mine for several years, but I remember the first time I took the MT apart, the little hair pin spring on the hold open flew off into space and I had to get another. On looking closer at the picture, I don't think that it does have adjustable sights, which would make it a huntsman. What he is calling a hold open is the safty which also holds the slide back, but has to be raised manually. The hold open on the MT is a separate piece. Fine pistol never the less. Better that the plastic and aluminum junk they are selling now.

8. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

Labwild is correct..........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

colt huntsman 22

colt huntsman date

colt huntsman lock open on empty mag

colt huntsman pistol

date colt huntsman

does colt woodsman lock back on empty