1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.22 cal. magnum rifle question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Is there any reason why nobody except a few European Cos. makes a 22 magnun SEMI AUTO?

2. Hilltop

Hilltop Member

Just not much demand for them...

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Used Ruber 10-22 magnums are running $700 and up.

Alexander Arms makes a .17 HMR AR15 as well as separate uppers. They have said they will eventually make the 22 Mag as well.

4. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

"Just not much demand for them..."

Yep. Sorta like 16ga trap guns. If somebody would buy them, somebody would make them.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Semi-autos aren't popular in many states because they aren't legal for hunting. For instance, the only autoloaders legal for hunting in Pennsylvania are shotguns and then only for birds - all other game must be hunted with a manually-operated firearm.

Ed

6. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

They are a tough one to get to work right due to the unique case dimensions of the .22WMR.

When you get one that works right, you have a gem. Mostly though you get one that works ok and you live to learn with a certain level of inadequacy.

I learned this the expensive way when living in Michigan and trying to build a coyote rifle that conformed to their convoluted night time hunting regulations.

7. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

H&R 700 works.

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Having spent 15 years in a sales position I beg to differ with some of the above posts. We had numerous requests for 22 mag autoloaders with Ruger being the only reasonbly priced auto loader that was available to my knowledge. Along came the 17 and people started loading 22 mags ammo in them and the lawsuits ensued or at least that is what the Ruger people told us at several shows. I wish I had picked up one before they all got gone. At one show I was also told that Keltec had plans for a 22mag autoloader rifle. I look forward to getting one of those to go with my 22m autoloader pistol. Jackie B.

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'll second the H&R. Check out gunbroker.com there is one on there now. Mike.

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Yes there is a reason

People were converting them to 17MRM which was blowing up guns

Regards from Iowa

Gene

11. trap906

trap906 Member

remington 597 22mag

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Trap906 unless something has come up recently the 597 22mag is no longer available. Not in any of our catalogs anyway. Jackie B.

13. craigos

craigos Member

I have a HK300 for many years now - will hit pennies with the entire mag at 100 yards.

14. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

As you all know, Keltec has a semi-auto .22 mag pistol in production. It is called a PMR-30.

THey are currently developing a .22 mag semi-auto rifle called a RMR-30.

The P in PMR-30 indicates - pistol. The R in RMR indicates - rifle.

A picture of the rifle can be seen by Googling "Keltec RMR-30."

Keltec set off a forest fire of demand for their pistol. They are in hot demand and short in supply.

A gun dealer told me he expects the same demand for the rifle, if Keltec ever gets their production numbers up.

Says something about the popularity of this caliber.

15. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

The ammo varies too much in blowback intertia between the the different bullet weights and ammo types for semi-autos to function reliably. The gun practically has to be made and set up for just one type of ammo. That's what Volquartsen told us when we had one built. Volquartsen "tuned" the action to a specific brand and bullet weight, and told us to stay with just that one exact type of ammo. Rick

16. Dave P

3dram: I find that tough to believe regarding pressure. The bullet size/weight changes in relation to barrel diameter is in no comparison to different formulas in higher powered rifles. Just how much can you change a .22 mag? They're not even reloadable are they?

17. Borchardt

Borchardt Member

I have a CZ .22 magnum semi-auto that runs like a clock. Feeds, ejects and is accurate to boot. Death on coyotes inside 100 yds or so. It isn't the most attractive rifle I own, but for something to carry on the 4 wheeler at my deer lease is is great.

18. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for, and researching for an answer to this question for 2 years now. The only product answer I've found is Magnum Research, Magnum Lite rifles.

Their are many good discussions about the 22 mag auto on the web. From what I've gathered, the Ruger 10/22mag was a maintenance and warranty failure for Ruger. Many would not feed and/or would break bolts and internal parts. Ruger discontinued the gun for this reason.

The Magnum Lite is gas op and tuned bolt/action for just this reason. I've talked to Anderson about their .17 and they say the same thing - no plans on a 22 mag due the feed and pressure problems. Nordic had a similar response.

I've finally given in and have my local dealer locating a Magnum Lite for me. It seems that they are in very short supply.

I decided on the Magnum Lite because it uses many Ruger parts and magazines - lots to toys.

19. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Win, Marlin, Ruger, H+K Great gun to the 300, Cooper, Browning, CZ, Savage, and lot other make 22 mag's. They are out there all you have to is look for them. Go to any gun site and put in the search box 22 magnum. Any gun that is in 22 mag will come up for you to look at. Let us know what you find.h

20. Dave P

Auctioneer: But not in semi auto.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.