1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.22 bullet stuck in barrel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hairy, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hairy

hairy TS Member

Farmer customer just gave me an old .22 rifle. Mossberg military training bolt action. Apparently the bore was rough and he tried to fire it and the bullet is stuck about 12" from the muzzle. He "thinks" there actually might be two bullets. Outside of some surface rust it looks mechanically very nice.
    How would you get the bullets out?

2. PA101_guy

PA101_guy TS Member

I think I'd lube up the barrel with a little Hoppes, Break Free, etc. then go in from the breech with an appropriately sized dowel or an old cleaning rod and try tapping the bullet(s) out the muzzle.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

3. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Use a quality penetrating oil...not WD40. I use PB Blaster. Remove it from the stock. Soak until you think the barrel is ready, then add some more and soak for another day. You may want to try brushing and cleaning the barrel ahead of the bullet(s). Soak it good and use a wooden dowel rod that will not get stuck and a wooden hammer. Go thru the breach and tap the rod. Do not hit so hard that you flare the bullet any. Oh yes...before you start hitting the bullet say a little prayer.

Getting ready to hit the road to Sparta....shells are loaded, trailer tires are new, bearings are greased, steaks in the fridge, guns safely tucked in the back seat, gas card ready....see you there.
    CA

4. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

You can go to the hardware store and get a drill bit thats smaller then the bullet and drill as much as you can out and then try to get a brass rod to tap the rest out.

5. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

If the foce of firing will not get the bullet out the barrel, my first and best advice is to run far away. If unable to execute this maneuver, tap the bullet the other way. Push the bullet back from where it came. Do not try and make it go where it no longer fits.

6. 333t

333t Member

I would first try to drive it out the muzzle end by soaking with cutting oil and using a metal cleaning rod inserted into the chamber end and tap with a hammer. Use a little block of wood to protect the cleaning rod threads.

If this doesn't work I would find a .22 cleaning rod with a solid head brass jag. Carefully file the end of the brass jag into a flat, sharp, spear point. Then use this to gradually carve out the lead by turning the cleaning rod handle. You could even use a hand drill for quicker results. The brass will cut the soft lead but not hurt the barrel.

Phil

7. C H S

C H S TS Member

I got a bullet out of an old H&R .22 pistol by dribbling Shooter's Choice Lead Remover in to the barrel. I'm not making a joke here, guys. It took about a week of soaking but I could eventually tap the bullet out with a length of 3/16" brass rod.

Andy

8. remman

remman TS Member

Ditto on the Kroil

9. welderman

welderman TS Member

I would use the recommended chemicals to lubricate the bore. Then remove the barrel from the stock and put it in a freezer for an hour or two along with a 3/16" brass rod. With both the barrel and the rod cold, you should be able to push or tap the bullet out. TomS (welderman)

10. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

It is not wise to use a stainless steel or aluminum cleaning rod in a .22 (or other caliber) rifle barrel for cleaning or any other purpose as you may damage the rifling or barrel crown. I use a nylon coated cleaning rod or a bore snake like tool I got from Outers many years ago.

Soaking the barrel with Kroil (the oil that creeps) from both ends and then tapping the bullet or bullets out from the muzzle with a wood dowel would be my first effort. If this does not work, I would try a brass rod (if I could find one).

You may want to consider a gunsmith if you value the rifle. A good smith will have the proper tools and knowledge.

11. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

The barrel could not be so "rough" as to stick the bullet. It would have to be corroded beyond salvage. This is unlikely if the gun is overall pretty nice except for some surface rust. It was probably a suib load and a second round was fired. How do you suppose he "might" have got two bullets stuck?

In any case, tapping the bullet out should work, just go the shortest route, the barrel is not tapered. If it won't tap out, take a smaller metal rod and heat the end with a propane torch to white hot and insert from the muzzel and repeat until the bullet is melted out. Repeat as necessary.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Another method that might work.

Leave it in the freezer over night, then take it out and pour boiling hot water down the barrel (don't hold the barrel with your hands.)

Probably still have to use some force to get it out, but this might loosen it up a bit.

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Lead melts at a relatively low temperature. I'd heat the barrel with MAP gas if all else fails.

Whiz

14. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

whiz has best idea heat slow and it will not turn the blueing rick

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

What would happen if he tried the cutting oil or kerosene first and the bullets would not come out and then applied heat. Could this be a good way to test the fire alarm system?

Pat Ireland

16. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

As I think about it the barrel is no good so why not just reline the barrel. By doing so you cut out the bullet and the old damaged part of the barrel and put a new and better liner part ofthe barrel in its place.

17. Duck

Duck Member

All good idea's, I think CHS has it, repeated liberal doses of lead remover + time!.

18. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Stick a friggen rod in the muzzle hammer the suckers out. DONE! Shouldn't be too hard.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

"stuck" about 12" from the muzzle sounds like a squib load. Unusual in a rimfire, but not impossible.

I would check to be sure there are not 2 bullets or other obstruction via the both way measuring described. Then soak in Kroil a couple days, and pound that sucker out with a piece of 3/16 drill rod.

HM

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I don't know if I would use a touch of any kind, but I would try a heat gun used to strip paint off wood. They get very hot and have two different heat settings on them. I do not think that the hot air from one would hurt your blueing on the barrel at all(the high setting gets real hot).Turns paint to a soft material easy to scrap off. When soft try tapping out one or both pieces of lead. You could try the oil if you have some laying around as well.Please let us know how you make out. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

2 bullets stuck in barrel

22 bullets stuck in pistol barrel

22 misfire bullet stuck in barrel

how do i extact a 22 rifle bullet lodged in barrel

remove bullet stuck in 22 barrel

tool for removing lodged bullet

why are bullets getting stuck in pistol barrel