1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

22-250 scope?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bob31, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob31

bob31 TS Member

I'm looking for a scope for my 22-250 any thoughts or ideas? I'm looking at the Leupold VXIII series not sure what all is out there thought. Thanks

2. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Can't go wrong with a Leupold. For varmint hunting a 3x9 will do most anything you need unless your shooting consistantly beyond 300yds. For long range shooting look at the 6.5x20 or save a few bucks and go with the 6x18

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

4X12 may serve your purposes as well. Nikon is another scope to consider. Of course, there is always Schmidt & Bender and Swarovski.

4. austin fatts

austin fatts TS Member

Leupold. Nuff said!!

Austin Fatts

5. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

While I have always been a big Leupold fan, I recently acquired a Burris Fullfield 2 scope with their Ballistic Plex reticle in 4.5-14 power. I like it a lot!! Very high quality optics with a lifetime garantee just like Leupold. Give it a look!!

Ken Rucker

6. JRWolf

JRWolf TS Member

Lots of good glass out there and some real junk also. Leupold VarX-lll is great glass. Just got flyer from Midway and they have the X-lll 3.5x10x40 on sale for $399.00, and the X-lll 4.5x14x40 for $429.99. Darn good prices on these units. Have Leupold VX-lll on all of my 22-250's and really like them. Good luck in whatever you choose.

JRWolf

7. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Check out the new Trijicon Accupoint rifle scopes.

I have a a 2.5 - 10 X 56 (30mm tube) that is fantastic. List price is $950, I paid $700. Great optics, very clear and remarkable light gathering abilities.
    Illuminated reticle makes it great in really dark situations.

If not that - Zeiss

David D

8. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

I have a 6.5-20 Leupold on my 22-250 and like it, but I think the more power on that kind of gun the better. I like to see the whites of thier eyes.

OB

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have a Leupold (pronounced "Lew-poled" and NOT "Lee-a-poled") X-lll 4.5 x 14 and it's one of the nicest, clearest scopes that I've ever owned. Can't go wrong with Leupold.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_1028.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

10. gslam

gslam TS Member

I have a Savarski 6x18 on mine can't be beat. Also have a monark 6x20 on another one which is just about as good

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

VXIII, 3.5X10......4.5X14......6.5X20......your choice, depends on what you plan to use the rifle for and how much magnification you want? They're all the same top quality.

John C. Saubak

12. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

I like Leopold. That being said the last two I bought were Nikon. They seem eito be clearer and are a smidge cheaper. I also have one ziess. It is goos but a tad $$$$$.

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

With just two exceptions, I use nothing but Leupolds and as an outdoor writer, am able to deal directly with Leupold. I ordered a scope just last week for a rifle I bought just to have one in my collection and was hesitant to go with a less costly VX-I but was also reluctant to invest a lot of money in a scope for a rifle I might never shoot. My contact person and I had a discussion about the quality of Leupold's current model line and I learned that when the Leupold variable-power scope model names were changed from "Vari-X" to "VX" a few years ago, it was because of improvements in lenses and coatings that had become available. As a result, today's VX-I transmits more light and has cleared optics than the Vari-X II of years gone by. Today's least-costly Rifleman series basically is the former Vari-X I.

In fairness, I have to say that I have an older Bausch & Lomb 4200 Elite (which is the current Burris 4200 Elite) 6-24x on a .22-250 and it is right up there with a Leupold.

Ed

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Why would we throw rocks at you? You're just stating your opinion.......

15. dkimbler

dkimbler TS Member

I have a same as new with SUN SHADE 50 MM lens, Matte Finish 6.5X20 Leupold
    If you haven't bought one yet, let me know, I will sell $75.00 les that retail When you buy this scope you don't get the SUN SHADE Which is worth from $35.00
    to $50.00

David

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

You know, it might be Bushnell that now makes the Elite 3200 and 4200. But Burris is owned by the same company so who knows...

Ed

17. dkimbler

dkimbler TS Member

Hello Bob 31

I have the Leupold 6.5X20, I also have 2 Burris Target scopes in Gloss finish
    theses are nice scopes, 44 mm, one is a 10 power with a dot and very fine cross hairs, the other one is a 6X18 with cross hairs, any interest please e-mail me.

Thanks

David

18. darr

darr Well-Known Member

Nightforce is the best scope out there hands down.The only problem is you can buy 3 nice leupolds for the price of one Nightforce.

19. Duane(Pa)

Duane(Pa) TS Member

I had a 6.5-20 AO leup. on my 22-250 and was able to connect on chucks out to 450 lazered yds. (fair amount of luck involved too) I went to the nightforce 12-42 Must say I'm obsessed. I recomended the 4.5-14 to a friend for a 204 ruger, the model he bought has no adjustable objective and I am not impressed. So, you definatly want the AO. I would look hard at the 8.5-25. My leup was about forty bucks more than the rifle it went on top of. Don't ask about the NF

Duane W.

20. quicky

quicky Member

Okay, fly in the ointment here:

I have a Leopold 6.5 x 20 on one of my seventeens and it is a nice scope. However, I have a Sightron 4 x 16 with a fine wire and a 3/8 min. dot on my .17 Tactical and it is a really really nice scope. Plus, you can send the scope to a fellow whose name I have forgotten in New Mexico and he will put dots on the wire for your load at different ranges. Send him a long sheet of butcher paper with groups at different ranges and he will put the corresponding dot on the wire for you. Neat for long range varmints. Quicky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.