1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

22-250 reduced loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pfofml, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pfofml

pfofml Member

I am looking reloading data for reduced velocity loads for the 22-250 Rem. Has anyone experience with the same? Some shooter related forms indicate that Blue Dot powder will work for these loads. Any imput regarding the above?

Peter Falk III

2. Beni

Beni Member

I tried what they called pelt punching loads but had little success with accuracy. If thats what your looking for just drop your vel. down to min. load and use a 55 gr.fmj. bullet good luck beni

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Peter:

I do not load for the 22-250 Remington but the Speer # 13 Reloading Manual lists a load of 11-13 grains of IMR SR 4759 and a 55 grain Speer Spitzer soft point for velocities of 1688 to 2002 fps. This should convert your 22-250 into a 22 Hornet.

You might also want to check out Accurate Arms XMP5744. They do not list a 22-250 load but they do list a 223 Remington load so an e-mail to them might generate a potential load.

I don't think that Blue Dot would work but you could send Alliant an e-mail for their thoughts.

Blue Dot, in my mind, would be way to fast a powder as compared to other rifle powders. As the 22-250 case has a large capacity, a small charge of Blue Dot might not adequately fill the case and may not produce a consistent ignition.

I am guessing here so I would contact a powder manufacturer before I would I would load anything picked up off of a shooter forum.

IMR SR 4759 and Accurate XMP 5744 are designed for lower velocity loads including cast lead bullets. As such, they take up more room in the case for a given charge weight.

My $.02 and watch out you don't shoot your eye out.

Ed Ward

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I think Lyman had some reduced loads and cast bullet loads listed some time ago. Accuracy was not what I expected. I tried some back around 35 years ago. I gave up after trying a half dozen loads or so. If you want to go slower, get a smaller cartridge like the 22Mag or 22Hornet. They might even make a chamber adaptor, so you could use the same gun. I don't think Blue Dot would be an appropriate powder. IMR4759 looks like a better choice, as might Trail Boss. Check with the powder company.

5. mcurry2507

mcurry2507 TS Member

If u have a 1-14 twist barrel once u get down around 3200 the bullet will not stabilize and ull get keyholes. thats why i wish i would have got a 1-10 or even 1-9. I would really like to shoot a 75-80gr but its almost pointless unless ur shooting a big target like a deer.

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Handloader magazine did a big article about reduced velocity loads in a 22-250 with everything from cast bullets to reduced capacity loads. They had a cast bullet load that had mind numbing accuracy accuracy and if memory serves it was green dot that they used. You should look into getting that back issue of handloader magazine. I was in teh last two years. It enabled you to turn your 22-250 all the way down to 22 mag velocity. 223, 22 hornet all theose velocityws were covered as well as the loads and the accuracy they produced.
    I couldn't cast 22 bullets but given the accuracy of the loads I might look for some commercially produced bullets. I suspect they may be made by somebody.

It's called Handloader magazine. I will look when I get home and if I can find my copy I will let you know. I thinjk I tossed it though. As interesting as it was, I load the 22-250 for maximum performance. If I want .22 Hornet velocity I just shoot my Hornet. Jeff

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=5008112

Since I am not capable of making a link you can cut and paste rteh above and it will take you to some Blue dot Data. Looks like 8 grains with cast bullets but you could use regular bullets with just a few more grains. They load might even work with jacketed bullets.

Jacketed bullets require more powder to push them down the bore. Cast bullets requre much less. hence teh use of cast bullets in reduced velocity loads.

8. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

A word of caution with reduced loads, a book by the great P.O. Ackley goes into great detail about problems incurred when greatly reduced loads are used various calibers resulting in gun blow ups. It has to do with too much space in the case creating an inconsistant ignition of the powder. Stick with data from the reloading manuals like Speer, Lyman, etc. to stay safe. I love the 22-250 & have loaded & shot one for years with no issues. If you are looking to really slow this beast down, perhaps one of the other 22s would be better than trying to turn a race horse into a pony.

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Call the bulletsmith at Sierra bullets; they are up on all this stuff. I haven't called them in years, but hope they are still doing their thing.

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Bob Griffith

I hear what you are saying and it is true in many cases but they have perfected the downloading process. The loads that are available are all published and put togather by the bullet/powder companys and are safe.

Taking a race horse and turning it into Tony the pony has never been my bag but people have reasons for doing these things and it's part of the fun of reloading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
22 250 reduced rifle load data

22-250 blue dot loads

22-250 cast bullet loads

22-250 reduced loads

22-250 reduced reloading data
lower velocity loads for 22-250

reduced loads for 22-250

reduced rifle load data