1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

22-250 or 220 swift?

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by Didreckson, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

0   0   0

Considering a plinking rifle for varmints and target fun. Kind of narrowed it down to the two calibers above. Any rifle shooters out there, and recommendations on caliber and brand?

I know that I will need to spend probably about as much on the scope as the rifle, so looking for help on that one as well.

Majority of the shooting will be target, but hopefully get a chance to bag a coyote sniffing around my yard now and then. I live in the edge of the country about 5 miles out of town, and the coyotes do like to come bark and howl in my area.

I am leaning 22-250 due to ammunition availability. I might get into reloading, but that is to be determined.

PM or email xdarrell.datcomcastdot.netx making the obvious changes and omissions.

Thanks in advance for enlightening me.

2. brownk80

brownk80 Member

0   0   0

Savage Model 12BVSS with laminated stock and a 6.5-20 Nikon, fine cross-hairs and 1/8 .

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0

I would use a Zeiss Conquest scope. I have one that I look through all day long without eye fatigue. If you only have one varmint rifle put a Zeiss on it, unless you want to spend 2X the money on a Swaro.

The swift is king but at a high cost, in barrel life and a brass headache. I would go with the 22-250 in a Savage. I have one in the LRPV model and love it.

Actually the 223 is more fun, less heat, less recoil, and easy to get brass but you didn't mention it.

HM

4. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

0   0   0

The 220 swift is a nice rifle but the barrels don't last long. The 22-250 is a nice round for varmint hunting but if you want to keep your cost down and all your wanting to do is plinking/ varmint hunt I would go with a 223.

I have a Ruger M77VT 223 up for sale its like new and its price right. Nice plinking/ varmint rifle.
    It list for just under a $1000 bucks but I am asking $700 and I will pay the shipping to the lower 48 states.
    All I have done to this rifle is I done the barrel brake in on it and then put it way. Why I have this up for sale is I moved in to a condo and am down sizing. Super nice rifle, if I don;t sell it here before long I going to take it to a dealer and see if he can sell it for me.

I had a Ruger M77VT in 22-250 and it sold fast.

This winter I sold 19 rifles and 6 hand guns plus one of two of my Browning gun safes.

It me know if your interested in a 223 and I can send you some pictures of it.

5. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

0   0   0

I have a Ruger varmit barrel M77 in 22-250 that I bought in 1975 (or there abouts) with a 6-18 Redfield on it. That was the best scope I could afford at the time. If I were doing it today, I would go with the 6.5-20 Leupold. As far as the 22-250......LOVE IT! Have taken chucks out to 400 yds & it is capable of more but distances are limited around here in upstate NY. Shot a few coyotes with it out to 200 yds. & it is wonderful at putting them down too. The Swift got a bad rap when it 1st came out due to the lesser grades of steel avaiable at the time & burning them out was a problem. They say now that this isn't as much of an issue, but I have no experience with it. I would take the 22-250 over the 223 as it will get you greater distance with less drop & need for compensation.

I have shot both factory loads as well as handloads I made for my 22-250 & both work well. I think you will find the factory loads won't turn up the speed they advertise so handloading does give you an edge. If I had to do it all over again, I would still go with the 22-250. It has been good for me.

6. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

0   0   0

Of the two mentioned I would go 22-250, I have each and enjoy the 22-250 more due to not loading as much as I once did, and it seems most 22-250 shoot good out of the box. My 220 swift needed some bench time to find load it liked.

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

0   0   0

I must conquer with HM. The .223 is going to be a hard act to follow for what you describe. Ammo is available everywhere and cheap. The .223 cartridge is accurate out to 500 yards (maybe a bit farther in a good shooters hands) and you can get factory loaded ammo from 30 grains all the way up to 79.

I have a couple of .223 bolt guns just because they are so cheap to shoot often.

ss

8. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I have both a 22-250 and a .223 in Remington 700 Varmit. I shot the 22-250 for years but like the shooting of the .223 a little better just because it feels like a 22 going off and you can find shells anywhere for a lot less money. My brother had a 220 Swift but getting shells for it is expensive.

As for a scope, even the cheaper scopes made today are so much better than a lot of the high dollar scopes from 30 or 40 years ago. The optics are so much clearer. Bushnell makes a complete line (cheap to expensive) and they have a lifetime guarantee (they also have outlet stores with the same guarantee).

The .223 Remington heavy Barrel Varmit that I have I bought last year at Dick's Sporting Goods on sale for $449 with a camo synthetic stock and it came with a cheap Remington scope that works OK but I do need to put a higher power on it. At that time they also had them in 22-250 and maybe .243.

9. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

0   0   0

I have a Remington Model 700 VLS in .22-250 that I like very much. I have it scoped with a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5 X 20 EFR. I also reload for it.

I have enjoyed this rifle very much.

I have two other Remington 700 VLS both scoped with the Leupold Vari-X III 6.5 X 20. One is in .222 Remington and the other is in .243 Winchester. I shot a Prairie Dog at 602 yards with the one in .243.

I like all three rifles very much. Probably the .222 the best.

Allen

10. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I agree that the Swift is king among the .22 centerfires, but .22-250 is just a step behind it. Midway USA had a sale on Federal Premium V-Shok 22-250 ammo with 55 grain Sierra Blitzking bullets for $14.99 for a box of 20 until January 31, 2012. At about 75 cents a round you can't reload for that, and they are pretty good from the accuracy standpoint. Sometimes you can find good V-max style loadings in .223 for about 40 cents a round like Fiocchi in the 40 and 50 grain loads. The sale price on those was $18.99 for a box of 50. Personally, I have decided to find reasonably priced quality ammo, and then buy a rifle to shoot it. You can always buy or sell a gun, you can't always find good ammo thats a deal.

John

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

There is no practical difference in barrel life between a 22-250 and a 220 swift

Interesting thing is- if you do a search of barrel life topics you will find studies done by the military of rifles with all the way up to 60,000 and 200,000 5.56 rounds---- even though there is tremendous throat erosion- the accuracy degrades but not by much

Regardless - dont let that make your choic

I shoot and have shot both-- you do get more options for longer bullets and flatter trajectory out of the 220 swifth but the 22-250 is not that far behind

Regards from Iowa

Gene

12. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

0   0   0

The 223 would be my choice for what you describe your useage would be ,,,I have the swift and also a winchester Mod, 70 heavy barrel, the swift is a 1976 heavy barrel,they stay in the safe ,,I shoot a Savage heavy barrel in 223, It is a joy to shoot ,ammo is inexpensiveand available everywhere ,,also the accura trigger is really cool ,that is an affodable rifle also MX8Dave

13. jakeduke

jakeduke Member

0   0   0

I have used and still have both the Swift and 22-250. The swift has more advantage for range and speed no doubt.The 22-250 is not far behind at all. I cant tell you much about factory ammo I never fired any in any of my varmint class cartridges. Barrel life is almost the same in either of the two. The way you treat your rifle depends a lot on barrel life. I would not pass up considering the .223 I have this rifle also it is a very good cartridge for what you are considering to do, this is the caliber I would choose. Once you learn how to shoot it you will do well with it. I have had quit a few rifles and burnt the throat out of a few of them and rebarrelled them to different calibers.In factory chamberings I would do a little research on the .223 if you dont hand load.

14. jwells

jwells Member

0   0   0

dont let the 220 scare you about barrel life. i have a model 70 heavy stainless barrel that had over 4000 rounds thru it and it still is a tack driver. i have loaded every shell fired in it, 40 grains of 4064. the secret is not to rapid fire it. i have pounded groundhogs for almost 40 years with this gun.

15. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

0   0   0

Another vote here for a 223. I've been shooting prairie dogs for 12 years with one. My latest is a Remington 700 VS with a timney trigger and a Leupold 6.5-20 scope with the varmint hunter reticle. I had a confirmed kill at 541 yards last year with this set up (also 378,447 and 498). I have a 243 in the same configuration (scope is a 4-12 Leupold) that didn't even come out of the case on my last prairie dog trip. My buddy also uses a 223 Remington 700 and his 22-250 didn't come out of the case either. My advise is a 223 in a rifle capable of sub 1" MOA, topped with the best scope you can afford with a bullet drop reticle. Equipped with a set up like that you will shoot with any 22-250 or 220 Swift out to 500 yards.

Joe

16. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

0   0   0

Guys, thanks for all the info. I had not considered the 223, but it seems for my use that might be the right call. I will check them out further, and put some good quality glass on top of it. Reloading rifle cartridges was a thought, but not 100% sure I want to do that at this point.

Thanks again....the information on this site is awesome.

17. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

0   0   0

If you don't reload; stay with the 22-250. If you are just starting to reload, the 22-250 may still be the obvious choice. Good luck. AJ

18. Trap4

Trap4 Member

0   0   0

A remington Model 40X in 220 swift has been the best varmint gun that I have ever had, IF you will settle for a little less performance then go with the 22-250.

trap-4

19. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I have 3 .223 rifles and none of them are 500 yard guns. For that, I use a .220 Swift or a HB 6mm.

20. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

0   0   0

Was reading an article just last evening in the new Hogdon annual Manual, said the bad rap on the .220 Swift wasn't so much really burning out barrels as it was accuracy degadation caused by copper fouling. Keeping in mind that Hogdon is selling their new CFE 223 powder (Copper Fouling Eraser), what do ya'll think about that? FWIW I got a Ruger Target/Varmint rifle in .204 that'd shoot the fuzz off a peach at 90 paces with factory ammo when it was new, now lately it seems accuracy has fallen off a bit with my handloads so I'm planning to give it a good cleaning with copper solvent and try some of the new CFE 223 powder.

Anyway, choice between the .220 Swift & the .22-250 I'd choose the latter. Ammo and brass availability with the .22-250 and the .220 Swift really isn't that much more velocity.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

22-250 shot farther than a 220 swift

cfe 223 in 220 swift