1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20's Club

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Customf1, Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Customf1

Customf1 TS Member

Not sure it there is such a thing as a 20's club but today I had a 23. Only 8 of my shots were center target. so I have a lot of work to do. I have never made it past 16 after shooting 1200 rounds since stating trap in July and now I'm finally seeing some improvement. I believe the improvement is due to the fact that I sold my 1st trap gun for a more comfortable gun. I now feel more relaxed at line locking in my mount and following through better. What is also very weird is that my contacts are mono which means left eye is for close up and reading and right eye is long distance, So what I have been doing is sighting in the bead with the trap house using the left eye, call for the bird and then opening both eyes and simply pointing the gun and following the bird with my eyes. All is good now that I am finally starting to figure out this game. I am looking forward to shooting trap this winter. Thanks for listening, Howard from Chicago

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I suspect you would be well served to remove the contacts while shooting and get some prescription shooting lenses that will allow your eyes to work together for best distance vision. Everything we need to see from the time we call for our target is OUT THERE, and having one eye not in synch with the other for the best distance vision we can get can't be helping.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Wireguy is right. Been there, done that.

Before my cataract surgery I tried contacts, to no avail. I used Decots and Rangers from Lehman with prescription lenses up to the time my left eye looked like I was looking throught waxed paper. Suddenly I realized if I hurt my good eye I would be in deep doo doo, scheduled the surgery the next day. I had both eyes done for 20-20 distance and use +2 readers for close up stuff like itty bitty screws and suchlike.

Now I still use decot/ranger style glasses with plano lenses because I can change colors to suit conditions.

I do not know your age or vision numbers, but unless you are severely deformed I would get prescription shooting glasses.

Start with a light gold for overcast and night, and a medium orange for days. (you will get dozens of opinions here but don't listen to them, LOL.)

Good luck and keep firing.

HM

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I went to a 20's club once..all the girls called me granpa..I was crushed : (

5. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

Fun isn't it? I just stumbled upon the score sheet from the first 2 rounds of trap dated 10/01/2011 my first round was a 20. second round a 9. took a while till 20's were more consistant now a year later 23-25 is the norm...enjoy. also Back in march i was shooting 89's 91's or there about and I got my shooting glasses and my first registerd round was a 99 so they do make a difference. oscar

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Practice, practice practice thats all you need to do. Custom F1, where in the do you shoot? I shoot at Maywood there most Wednesday nights.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

My suggestion, and experience before cataract surgery, would be to get contacts for distance vision for both eyes for shooting....

Use decot shooting glasses (example ); with a small stick on bifocal on the lower part of the lenses...about $20...

8. Customf1

Customf1 TS Member

I shoot at McHenry Sportsman club. I didn't know there was a club in Maywood. I have been to the track. Is it near the track?

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Mono-Vision using contacts is somewhat unusual... my wife is also able to use that approach... I haven't come across anyone previously, who mentioned that shooting... from the description of your pre-shoot routine, do I understand you to be a south-paw?!

I disagree that contacts are automatically a problem that need to be replaced by Rx shooting glasses... There are some folks who cannot shoot with contacts - some can't drive with them either... but it seems that a better fitting gun may have been part of the solution you needed to find...

Hitting 23 birds, you obviously have the basic skills to hold it together long enough to do the job... couple of thoughts...

(1) use a full choke to further tighten the pattern... forcing you to be "on-target"... Have you checked your POI since buying the new gun...

(2) if McHenry has it available, lock down a trap and develop your fundamentals on fixed birds... straights, plus mild and hard angles...

(3) fairly steep learning curve to hit low 20s, however, may take you a lifetime to knock down those last few birds consistently.

Best regards,

Jay

10. Customf1

Customf1 TS Member

I am right handed. I do appreciate the comments regarding buying Rx shooting glasses. That is something I will consider in the future. Since you mention pre-shoot routine I am finding myself doing exactly that. Although I think I may be too anal regarding my pre-shoot routine, not sure if others are doing something similar? My pre-shoot routine starts way before I'm called to the trap line. it actually begins at home when deciding what comfortable attire to wear and then the cigar and ice tea in the car on the way there. Before being called up to shoot I spend some time watching other groups shoot and practice watching the targets leave the trap house as they fly into the air. I guess I am getting my eyes ready when I do this, seems to help. When I'm finally called to the trap line I begin my sight in routine as explained above with my mono contacts. I guess what I'm saying is I have a good thing going right now and want to keep it up. Maybe I'm weird but its working. Regards, Howard

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Howard:

I have somewhat equal eye dominance and have to close an eye to avoid cross dominance... how do you "sight in" off rib, being a "rightie", using the left eye?!

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.