1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20GA REMINGTON STS AND CLAYBUSTER WADS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by birddog1964, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

I'm trying to help a guy loading 20ga Remington sts and claybuster wads in a 600jr not that it should matter on the loader. But when using the claybuster wads he gets a pop on the down stroke to seat the wad, but when he loads AA hulls with WAA20 this problem never happens. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
    lee

NOTE) THE RAMER TUBE ACTUALLY JUMPS WHEN THIS HAPPENS.

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Different wad/hull combinations make loud cracking sounds as the wad passes through the wad guide. Some combinations are virtually silent, some are very annoyingly loud.

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

The wad is meeting some resistance going thru the wad guide and then pops thru when sufficient pressure is applied. It has to do with the thickness at the mouth of the hull, the thickness of the wad guide fingers, and the base diameter of the wad. I find Duster wads, being slicker, slip thru without the annoying "pop-pop."

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I havn't tried loading the 20 ga. AA style wads yet but, plan on trying some with my next pick up of components. I'm very satisfied with everything using the RXP 20's and Orange Dusters. I experience no clacking with them. I'm reloading Remington STS's, Game Loads, Sport Loads and Shur-shot Doves with no issues on a MEC Press.

5. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

The so called rammer tube is fairly rigid. It doesn't spin, slid or have a sloppy fit on a MEC 6OO JR. The rammer tube is a straight shot in centerline with the shell and is lesser diameter than the wad. You probably have a problem with your machine and not the wads. Your buddy probably bent something. Take a small square to the base and tube. Maybe some of his wad guide fingers are broken off. You can access the manual on-line.

7. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Spanky... The rammer tube on the 600 Jr is spring loaded to set the wad seating pressure. Consequently it does move during seating.

8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Have your buddy read page #9 of his owners manual it doesnt move or have to move when using plastic wads. It's set for a certain height at left at that.

9. birddog1964

birddog1964 TS Member

Bob,

Will both, more and less wad pressure affect the finale crimp and how your shell loads

thanks
    lee

10. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Yes, wad pressure can affect the final crimp. A common problem is using too much wad pressure to collapse the wad to make your load fit. After a few days, the crimp can open up as the wad un-collapses. As noted, with todays plastic wads, no pressure is really required. This all relates to the final wad seating pressure, not the original issue of the wad resistance thru the wad guide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

problem with 20ga wad guide fingers