1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20ga for Singles?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Husky44, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Anyone use a 20ga for singles? I shot a round of singles today with my new addition to the safe and shot clean with smoked targets. Thinking about using it for singles at this weekends ATA shoot. I bought the gun for 5-stand, sporting and occasional skeet but after 200 rounds with no recoil got me thinking.

Domenic

ata 1016121

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I had a pinched nerve near my collar bone that caused reduced strength in my left arm. For a while it was fatiguing to shoot a round of trap with my 1187 12ga trap gun. I had already made a 7/8ths scale 1187 20ga trap gun, but its intended purpose was mainly sporting clays. But the buttstock was a 12ga monte carlo, with the tenon reduced to fit the smaller frame. It weighed about two pounds less, and that was enough that I could easily het it with my weakened left arm.

I noticed some things straight off for trap. First, this lighter gun was very "lively". It was much faster to get into motion, and it could be jinked easily. That's a good trait for sporting clays, but not really for trap. Trap is more "slow and smooth". Regardless, it worked very well for singles and doubles. It broke clays well. I was using 7/8 oz 2.5 dram loads, and my scores were exactly the same as with my 12ga gun using 1-1/8 oz loads 2.75 dram loads. Recoil was significantly less. (A 12ga 1100/1187 will not cycle loads as light as the 20ga can without opening up the gas ports.)

Once my arm regained some of its strength (but not all due to permanent nerve damage) I went back to my 12ga gun. But dang, that 20ga is just so much fun. It would be an ideal gun for a petite person or kids. I still practice trap with it, but it excels at sporting clays.

At one time I wanted to set up a full size 1100 20ga (built on the 12ga frame). Never got around to it.

And, there are a couple of women at the trap club using 20ga guns, and they'd give a good many here a run for their money.

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Wonder how a 1oz 20ga compares to a 1oz 12ga. I normally shoot 1oz #8 12ga for singles for the lighter recoil, but would be interesting to try 20ga.

4. Brian in Oregon

Well, it has a longer shot string, but I'm not convinced it's really all that much of a difference on target. I doubt a clay can outrun a shot string.

Interestingly, the "ideal" gauge for patterning with 1 oz loads, according to the old experts, is 16ga.

5. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

One of the perennial All Americans shot 20 ga for 16 yd targets each year at Vandalia. Lot of the youth shooters use(d) them also. The ATA started stocking the shell house at Vandalia w/ them because of the demand.

6. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

I’m going seriously consider using it this weekend for singles, just for a change of pace.
    I’ll still bring along the 12 for doubles and caps..Whos's hammer1? Domenic

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Hitapair, he still uses it for singles!

Hap

8. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

9. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Kemp- Yes, that's who I was referring to.

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Use my 20 ga 1100 for singles and doubles it's fun and a challenge.Consiiten in sigles at 23 to 25 straight Doubles 20 t0 22

11. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I know John Sonne out of Quebec was shooting the 20 gauge last year.

Équipe d'étoiles des simples 2010 / Singles All Star Team 2010

John Sonne 97.27

12. mako72401

mako72401 Member

My 12 year old daughter shoots a 20 gauge for singles. She is new to Trap, and shtoguns, having only really plinked with a 22 before this. She shot a couple of boxes last fall, and has shot about 3 flats now since February. She is pretty consistently breaking 18-22 per round now. Wind is her downfall, learning how to add it into the "how far to lead" equation. But I have to say I am VERY proud of her.
    [​IMG]

13. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

a friend of mine suggested to me to buy a 20 gauge with a .630 bore size, if I ever wanted to drop 12 gauge as my "big bore" and buy a 20 gauge to use. He has had great patterning results from the Browning XS 20 gauge guns and also Perazzi MX20 with the .630 bore size. He did the hard work of patterning different loads with various 20 gauge guns (e.g. K20, etc.) and he has found the .630 works the best...I shall find out myself in a few months when I order a MX20 with a .630 bore size....

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

Why not shoot 7/8 oz loads from the 12 ga? What advantage does the 20 ga have for trap?

I use have a 20 and 28 ga for hunting as they are lighter and easier to carry. Light weight is not something very many trapshooters will desire.

Just curious.

Don Verna

15. Brian in Oregon

<i>"Why not shoot 7/8 oz loads from the 12 ga? What advantage does the 20 ga have for trap?"</i>

Several reasons.

First, for semi-autos, the light 2.5 dram 7/8 oz loads will not cycle in a 12ga gun unless the gas ports are modified. An unmodified 12ga needs more drams to cycle, between a quarter to a half dram more.

Second, the lighter loads mean less recoil.

Third, the scaled down 20 ga guns are lighter. Some people do not want a heavier gun.

Fourth, the dimensions are also smaller. The girth of the grip is often smaller, and the forend almost always is.

I already pointed most of this out.

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Yeah, plus it's ridiculously fun & stuff.

-Gary

17. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I took a friend to try trap and I loaned him my 20 ga skeet gun that I had screwed a a mod choke in. He had a lot of missed targets and kind of infered that the gun was holding him back. I gave him my trap gun and I shot the 20ga. He still shot 15, and I shot a 24, and I knew I missed as soon as I pulled the trigger, it was not the guns fault. The 25 yard line was pretty tricky, but the 16 wasn't.

18. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

I’m going to give the 20ga. a chance at this weekends ATA shoot. I’ve moved down from AA with the 12, so maybe the challenge of shooting the smaller gun will force me to focus on the targets again? I’ll have fun anyway and enjoy the challenge.

Domenic

19. dverna

dverna Active Member

Brian,

None of those "reasons" mean much for 90% of us. I am the small guy in the group I shoot with - at 5'11" and 225 lbs. "Girly" sized guns are not going to fit us. Any 20 ga we shoot competitively will be full sized. We all shoot break opens so cycling is not needed. Thu,s using a 20 ga seems to make no sense as we can get 20 ga performance from a 12.

I should have been more specific. When an All-American or a guy like John Sonne with a 97+% average uses one it makes me curious. Are they slight of build and need smaller guns? Are they shooting light 7/8 oz loads that can only cycle in a 390/391 but want to shoot 1100's?

I shoot an XS Feather 28 ga for S&G once in a while but it sure ain't no trap gun!

Don Verna

20. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

subgauge guns are fun...I use a 28 gauge for sporting clays to make the 12 gauge course more challenging. After shooting 28 gauge, using the 12 gauge seems to just be easier at breaking targets...

if you are not a serious competitor, then using 20 gauge is fine.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.