1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

20ga 3/4oz loads - need help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BT99Max100, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BT99Max100

BT99Max100 Member

I've just started to load 3/4 oz. and I'm having trouble getting good crimps. My crimps are too shallow. I'm using a 650 mec with the following components:
    Hull(gun club), wad(rem. rxp), powder(gr. dot 14.0), primer(ceddite)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

John

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If you mean by shallow, the crimp is too deep leaving a hole in the center of the crimp, get a box of Cheerios and put 1 or two of them in the shell after the shot drop. This will take up the space and not add any appreciable weight to the shot charge.

ss

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Or Puffed Rice or Puffed Wheat.

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Or what i do is a small piece of those styrafoam packing peanuts, they are easy to come by as just about everything comes packed in them nowadays & they are very forgiving as to size (amount) & add no weight to the equation.. they do give a little fluff floating down, usually good for a comment or 2..

5. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

With GD, you should have a hull full all right. Either back off a little on the wad pressure, or adjust the crimp die upwards.

6. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I couldn't get good crimps with the Remington wad. But I have had good crimps with a AA wad and Unique powder. The 20 gauge Winchester wad has a shallow cup that fits perfect with a 3/4 ounce load.

7. TERRYB

TERRYB Member

The secret to 3/4 oz 20 gauge reloads is the wad....USE the Winchester FACTORY WAA20 wads for both rem and win hulls....NO aftermarket clones i.e CB/Duster/etc.........Terry

8. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

I found that the orange duster wad has a taller cushion section than the AA wad that it clones and works good for 3/4 20's with about 13.5 grs of GD

9. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

winchestern has the right idea. use win hs hulls, oem wad or orange duster,pretty shell

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.