Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

209 Primers??????????????????

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Quack Shot 
#1 ·
CCI should be in your loading manual.

I know that's not the answer to your question.

I don't have the site.

G
#2 ·
It's not a chart, but it is a portion of an email I received from Ben Amonette, Consumer Service Manager for Alliant Powders. The topic was not specifically "primers" but they were part of the equation:

<blockquote>
"...For simplicity sake, I put primers into one of 3 categories:

Hot<br>
Fed 209A<br>
CCI 209M<br>
CCI 209SC (discontinued)

Med<br>
Win 209<br>
CCI 209<br>
Fed 209 (discontinued)<br>
Cheddite 209<br>
Fiocchi 616<br>
Noble Sport

Mild<br>
Rem 209 Premier

Does this mean that all primers within a given category are exactly
the same....no, but they are close enough that they can safely share
the same data. If you want to reduce the powder charge slightly, then doing so will certainly be fine. ..."</blockquote>

Hope this gives you a start...

Mike

G
#4 ·
I've used all of them except Noble and they will all fit into the same size pocket. The Fiocchi primers are straight-sided rather than tapered so the feel different when seated. Rio primers are not on Ben's list but he indicates that they fall between the Medium and Hot groups and cause a 1/2 grain gain in pressure and velocity. But they WILL stretch the primer pocket so you need to stay with them for those hulls.

Mike

#5 ·
Not everyone seems to have the same results, but in my experience using the Fiocchi 616 and the Nobel Sport in Rem Gun Club hulls, the primer pockets were stretched enough that subsequent reloads with a Win 209 occasionally had a primer fall out. Maybe a different hull wouldn't stretch as much, I don't know. I do know it's annoying to have primers fall out, and I wasn't very happy with other aspects of the Fiocchi or Nobel, so in the future I'm sticking with the Win. More expensive but less aggravation, at least for me. James Fawcett

#11 ·
pahunter1:

Aside from the Nobel Sport vs. Winchester 209 substitution published by Hodgdon's, there is no interchangeability of shotshell primers. Some are similar enough that they might be substituted in lower pressure loads without undue risk. It is always wise to consult reliable published data before making such substitutions and be VERY careful about following advice from questionable sources. Even the more reliable sources have been known to have misprints. The results of a primer substitution can be quite unpredictable often with resulting pressures higher than desired. It may result in inconsistant ignition or low pressures too. It's a crap shoot, so it's better left alone unless you do some research. When in doubt, find some reliable data AND ask the manufacturers. Be sure to specify what powder and other components you will be using. Ask the manufacturer of the powder you will be using. You can also send out some assembled shells for pressure testing. There are many services that can do it for you at a reasonable cost. It would cost way less than a damaged gun or personal injury might cost you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.