1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

204 Ruger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dennisw, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

Does anybody have a 204 Ruger Rifle? How do you like it? what brand/model is it? How does it compare to the 17HMR and/or the 223 ?

Thanks

2. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

I have and have had 204's for some time now. I had a Remington 700 LVSF and I have a Remington 700 Varmint rig now.
    They both shoot lights out. I love them.
    I have a 17 HMR and a Remington 700 223 Varmint rig as well. The 17 HMR is not in the same league as the centerfire stuff, but is a great round.
    My 204 is super accurate and easy to shoot. I am running 39 and 40 grain bullets out of mine.

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I have a .204 ...Ruger M77, the what'dya call it? target grey long barreled target/varmint model. Topped with a Leupold VXIII 4.5 - 14. Gophers at 250 yds are in serious trouble.

John C. Saubak

4. 700X-user

700X-user Member

I have the same style .204 Ruger that John S. has, nice wide flat forearm that sits really still on bags. The recoil is absolutely nil with this heavy of a gun. 32 gr V-max bullets with IMR 4895 and my holes touch at 100 yds. It is sometimes revolting what it will do to small furry rodents. I have shot a 17 HMR for several years also. It will put large woodchucks down pretty quick, but only with a head shot. I have no experience with .223! All I can say is that the .204 is really a fun gun to shoot. It seems to be fairly easy to reload also. I tried several different recipes when I started loading it. 4 different brands and weights of bullets and about 7 different powders. All of the loads were respectable and would make good hunting loads. The 4895 load was just a little tighter out of my gun. Your mileage may vary!

Ed

5. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I have a Remington 700 HVSS with a Shilen trigger and a Kinneman's high performance firing pin assembly. Never done much of any load development work but its a real tack driver with the loads I initially tried. Been sitting in my safe for 3 years. Like my identical 22-250 better for long range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.