1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

.204 Ruger cal. and rifle

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dave P, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I know there is a post on here about "yotes" but I am curious about how many of you shoot the new .204 Ruger and in what rifle? Comparisons etc? Please be as detailled as you can. Thanks, Dave P

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i have a remington vssf on 204 caliber. i love it. groundhogs are no problem out to 400 yards. coyotes are no problem out to 300 yards. i have a leopold 4.5x14 power scope on it for coyotes and switch to a 6.5 to 25 for hogs. 1/4 to 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

223 on a diet and steroids. I have two prairie dog partners shooting them. they hold very well in the wind.

And make nice destructo.

Pricey brass, though.

HM

4. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

It has become my favorite prairie dog gun by far. Has the range of a 22-250 but the muzzle blast and recoil of a 223. I have 2 Savages both left hand heavy barrel on the short action.

jim brown

5. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

savage Model 11 in .204 Ruger. Awesome.

6. gasman03

gasman03 Member

I have heard that they are so fast that it is hard on the barrel. Is this true?

Corey

7. jim brown

Cory,

Can't say for sure but I have over 1000 through one of my Savages and I don't see any change in performance yet.

jim brown

8. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

I shoot the Savage, heavy barrel 204. One of the best PD and Yote guns I have seen. The accu-trigger is nice.

Jerry Walker

9. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Remington 700 26" non-fluted stainless barrel, factory aramid stock by HS Precision with aluminum bedding block, Shilen 2# trigger, Leupold 6X18 scope. This was 1 of 500 special run w/o the fluted barrel in a Boyd thumbhole stock. Didn't shoot great so I sold the stock and bought a new VSSF stock from Rrmington to match the one on my 22-250. All the goodies for case prep and loading from Sinclair Intl.

Lacks the range of the 22-250 but still pleasant to shoot out to 400 yards. Would not think it suited for Western winds and longer distances.

40 gr Berger match bullets shoot .5" or better at 100 yards with IMR 4064.

10. Wilma Harris

Wilma Harris TS Member

Ruger #1-B in .204 I like the 26" bbl. to get the velocity the .204 was built for. 40gr. Hornady factory ammo is its favorite diet. Leupold 8X with 1/2 minute dot factory set parallax free at 300 yards. Haven't loaded for it yet as I am still shooting factory to get the brass.

11. Game Warden

Game Warden Member

Browning A-Bolt Varmint - Shot Show Special. Haven't shot too much as of yet but what I have seen is impressive.

12. bluegrass

bluegrass Member

Any really good handload recipes ?

I have a Remington light varmit in .204.

Thanks

Lance Ogles

13. jim brown

Try Benchmark powder. Mine didn't really start shooting until I started to load Benchmark in it.

jim brown

14. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Jim, I have a friend who bought a Ruger in 204 last yr. He had me mount the scope and sight it in for him using factory ammo. He called me yesterday and told me that he was given some dies and Hornady 40gr. V-Max bullets. He wanted to know if I would work up a load for him as he doesn't load. I haven't gone the 204 route yet because of the 223's I still shoot. Would you mind sharing your Benchmark load with me.

About a yr. ago, in one of my Shooting Times magazines, one of the staff members had done extensive testing with different powders and bullets, etc. I meant to cut it out before I threw it away,but didn't.

I know what shoots in one gun may not shoot in another, but just need a starting point besides what is listed in some of the manuals. Thanks, Steve Elliott

15. jim brown

Steve,

With the 40 grain v-max and Remington Benchrest primers I am about 1 grain below the recommended max load in the Hodgdon data.

jim brown

16. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Thanks, Jim. Thought you were headed for Arizona. Steve

17. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I see lots of mention of the .22-250 on this thread. As some of you may recall, I recently picked up a Shilen .243 DGA with a 24" barrel. Turns out the place I got it has a very similar gun in .22-250 and the guy really wants to turn it. I really am kinda new to this rifle stuff. Any input? Regards, Jake

18. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thanks for your replieson the .204. Several of you mention using the Savage with Acu Trigger. I've heard of it but I',m not familiar with the gun nor the trigger. Any comments?

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    [​IMG]

I bought my son a Savage Predator Hunter in .223. It's fully camo'd, has a 22" medium weight barrel, and an oversized bolt knob for use with gloves. It also has the Accu-Trigger.

The Accu-Trigger is very light and crisp, much more thn other factory triggers. Because it is so light, Savage put a safety release right on the trigger itself. It's the small silver "blade" that has to be depressed in order to release the trigger. This prevents accidental release. It's also adjustable. More info at the link.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One minor drawback has come up with some users of the Accu-Trigger. The blade needs to be depressed squarely. Don't "wipe" it like some target shooters do. This might cause trigger release without releasing the firing pin. This is an infrequent problem, but nevertheless the trigger should be pulled straight back.

I was going to get a Savage Predator Hunter for myself in .22-250. Unfortunately, the intial run has been sold out. There are a few "package guns" available with camo'd rings and a camo'd 3-9x scope (possibly Burris). So the next best thing would be get one of those, but a gal at the factory told me that for 2008 the non-package models are going to a box magazine. (The package guns will retain the blind magazine.) I'm going to hold out for a box mag, which should be available after the shot show.

20. jim brown

Steve,

Tomorrow morning, I hope.

jim brown

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.