1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2016 Olympics

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by spitter, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I know many could care less whether or not the Olympics come to Chicago. More might even wish the IOC to choose one of the other countries just to spite Daley and his anti-gun rhetoric...

But closer to home, I hope Chicago gets the bid, in turn, so our friends at Aurora Sportsmens Club get the chance to make their dream a reality by getting the chance to develop their Waterman property into a world-class shooting venue using some Olympic dollars to bring their range to fruition.

Good Luck ASC, I've got my fingers crossed!

Regards all,

Jay Spitz
    Naperville

2. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

If Chicago does get the bid the range will consist of Olympic bunkers and skeet fields, indoor airgun ranges and enclosed or semi-enclosed rifle and pistol ranges (22 cal only) with electronic targets (high maintenance). And with Atlanta as a model, too expensive and under-utilized to warrant continued operation,closed and either bulldozed or done something else with. I think Atlanta is now used for police training,and all Olympic functions gone. There certainly won't be ATA fields built with Olympic funds.

Chuck

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

Pufftarget:

Most of the Atlanta facility has been torn down. It was sad to lose such a great facility but it was mismanaged by Fulton County. One summer they had a $10k power bill! They also had a whole bunch of people on the payroll that made it impossible to operate. They should have turned it over to a private contractor. There also were some racial overtones that created major problems. One of the things that is being done this time is that USA Shooting is involved with the Chicago effort to try avoiding a repeat of the Atlanta fiasco.

TB

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Just look a Prado in the Los Angeles area, and all the problems they've had.

5. partygirl

partygirl TS Member

Well I just heard that blue balls is going over himself to let them know the games need to come to Illinois. I say Illinois because we will all be paying. Think the little baby will get his way?

6. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I live in Chicago and I vote for Rio in '16...

See Drudge today. Local Fox News killed a story about the dark side of hosting the Olympics. 5 years after the Athens Olympics, 21 of 22 Olympic venues sit idle. The same thing will happen in Chicago, except that a bunch of politicians are going to get rich, and the taxpayers are going to get stuck with the tab.

Again.

7. zarathrusta

zarathrusta TS Member

They might even raise Partygirl's property taxes to $500 a year.

8. Baber

Baber TS Member

Shot 410....

Prado was an accident waiting to happen. It was sited poorly. Its in a flood impoundment area. The whole place was designed to be flooded! It was used for 10+ years for various National and Regional Championships till Atlanta came along. If people who are going to use the facility after the games are on board early enough there is a good chance the facility can be used into the future.

TB

p.s. Prado is still used for ATA Trap and Skeet today

9. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

The cost of staging the modern day olympic games is reason enough to consider a permanent site.

i'd love to the the 2016 games in chicago but fear the future for the shooting facility will follow atlanta and l.a.

heck, london is tearing their shooting facility down after the games are over - purely a temporary faciity to host the games and that is it.

be careful what you wish for chicago.

10. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

I read some place that Madrid, Rio, and Tokyo are the other three finalist cities hoping to host the 2016 Olympic games. I can't speak to the motivation of those communities but Crook County's only interest in hosting the games is the endless opportunity for graft.

For the benefit of whatshisthrusta:

graft: the acquisition of money, gain, or advantage by dishonest, unfair, or illegal means, esp. through the abuse of one's position or influence in politics, business, etc

or as its known in Chicago, "business as usual".

sissy

11. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Not a dime of our money to that corrupt state.

12. zarathrusta

zarathrusta TS Member

How poignant.

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I dont think Obama should be spending millions to promote this thing. He has far more important issues to deal with. What an idiot

14. zarathrusta

zarathrusta TS Member

cubancigar: Please stop making sense while the rest of us are taking cheap shots. Thanks.

15. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

How are they going to spin it if they don't give him the Oly's? Anyway is it such a bad thing that he will be out of the country? But then somehow Nero comes to mind...but then again Nero was a leader comparatively speaking.

16. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Obama's got nothing to lose but a nice vacation. He knows you'll forget all about the Olympics when the Senate votes on Healthcare.

Whether the Democrats get away with it or not.

17. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Having been in Rio this past February, I would NOT be in favor of holding the Olympics there. The crime is everything they say it is and more. Pretty much, don't leave the hotel with anything you don't want stolen off your body. There is about two hotels there that I would even consider staying for any reason. The proposed shooting site appears to be at a military facility and will likely be temporary. For visitors, they are talking about bringing in cruise ships to have enough rooms for people to stay.

Japan has issues as well. At Nagano, the biathlon shooters could not even touch the guns until the event started. They landed at the airport and the guns went under lock and key and were NOT in the possession of the athletes. I did hear they were able to get them out for practice, but essentially it was with a security guard watching them the entire time. If you think our guns laws are bad, go to Japan. On the flip side, Tokyo is fairly easy to get around and alot of fun.

Madrid says they will build a permanent facility for the shooting, which makes the most sense. For the shooters, they might have the best facility of the four. Personally I think Madrid would do a great job. The flip side is that it is likely to be hotter than Sparta.

Chicago is saying the shooting events will be at Governors State University, which appears to be south of Chicago near Richter Park. That screams temporary facility to me and I cannot see how it would be anything less than a disaster both in hosting the event and for logistics. Perhaps some of our Illinois friends can enlighten us on that location.

Most say that it is either Rio or Chicago. Rio would be a complete disaster for all the previous reasons and more. As for Chicago, I'm mixed. It would be neat to have the games close to my home, but it would also be a serious pain in the tailpipe. We've heard that some of the events (soccer for sure) will be held in Minneapolis.

Hal Hitchcock

18. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Why not hold the shooting events at Sparta?

Jim C

19. Baber

Baber TS Member

Rio already has an outstanding shooting facility located at The Deodoro Military Circle. It was built as Brazilian Army sport facility in Rio de Janeiro, at the Military Village, on the western side of the city. It has hosted the Pan American Games, Rio 2007. Equestrian (Dressage, Eventing, and Show Jumping), Field Hockey, Modern Pentathlon (shooting, fencing, swimming, show jumping and a cross country race), Sport Shooting (rifle, trap, pistol and skeet) and Archery competitions.
    Permanent venues were built at the site, such as the National Equestrian Center and the National Shooting Center, besides the Archery and Field Hockey which held future competitions in these disciplines.

Additionally USA Shooting is working with an existing facility in Chicago for the 2006 Games. They are making every effort to insure its not a temporary facility. Don't know where the GSU comment came from. Sparta is way too far from Chicago to be considered.

Everyone who is involved with Olympic Shooting wants the games in the US at a facility that can service the Olympic community for years to come. We want to avoid the problem in Atlanta and Prado. If everybody works together we can accomplish our aim.

TB

20. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

I sure all the crook's including our Messiah, will look foward to stealing as much as they can and will. Can you see the smile on Daley's face when the goverment starts printing more money for this nightmare. What will Obama try to stick his hand's in next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

2016 olympic trapshooting trials

2016 olympis trap shooters

2016 trap guns

chicago olympics shooting center

going to olympics for trap

location of 2016 police olympics trapshooting

olympic trials 2016 trap

olympic trials for trap shooting