1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2013 WI State Trapshoot - a few after thoughts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brad patterson, Jul 24, 2013.

1. brad patterson

brad patterson Active Member

Now that the dust has settled, the 2013 WI State Trapshoot is in the books.

Have to hand it to the WI Board of Directors led by our President, Mr. Bruce Stiteley. I did not think they would pull this off and they did. They dealt with issues as they came up, keep things moving, did their very best to accommodate the shooters and visitors to the homegrounds.

Huge shout out to not only Pres. Stiteley but also Dennis Taylor for their countless hours they spent during this process to make the dream possible. A huge thank you also to their wifes, Tammy Stiteley and Ruth Taylor who spent many a day and nights away from their husbands as they worked to make the homegrounds dream a reality.

Give it up to Connie Lee Reimer, our tournament director. She did an awesome job setting this years shoot up. I know first hand what a pain in the ass that job can be and she performed it beautifully in her 1st year.

How about Glenn Hammerly who ran the trap line help. He worked pretty hard trying to keep the line working and the kids on task. I look to see that improve as we get a group and some longevity as we had at Waukesha.

A huge thank you to John Atkielski who ran our shoot-offs perfectly (as usual).

Thanks to the ladies in cashiering and squadding trailers. They were always there with a smile.

To Dick and Val who handled our computer stuff and got all the scores posted in a timely manner. How about Arlene Otto who gave up her left arm to make the shoot and the office successful.

Congratulations to the winners of the 'Big 5" Singles -- John Duwe, Handicap -- Ben Carlson (with the lone 100 for the event), Doubles -- Chad Blanke, and High All-Around and High Over All -- Gerald Demulling.

Congratulations to Dennis Taylor and Fritz Thistle who joined an elite group of members - The WI Trapshooting Association Hall Of Fame.

This shoot was far from perfect, but many people worked pretty hard before and during to make it as perfect as could be. It is a facility as the financing comes together and the infrastructure on site is built and completed, it has the potential to be pretty special.

The people of Rome/Nekoosa / WI Rapids area who came and showed us the guests, what an awesome host they could be. We made some new friends last week.

All in all, a great week at the new homegrounds. It will be neat to watch the facility grow over the next year. We had a nice increase in attendance but that needs to continue. If you didn't make it to the homegrounds this year it needs to be on your bucket list for next year. We need everyone to attend, utilize the grounds and shoot some targets to make OUR HOMMEGROUNDS a success.

2. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

DITTO

GS

3. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

Well said!

4. jdhog

jdhog Member

5. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I'd like to see my photo's of the facility!

6. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Many thanks from we vendors for a job WELL DONE......merlyn

7. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

As far as I'm concerned, they only have to stop the dust and that will not be a problem. The facility is awesome and couldn't be better. You hardly even knew that there were no permanent buildings on the site. Targets were good and scores showed it. The help was good. I had no problems with any of the scorers. I was told after the shoot, that they were informed right before it that they were not going to get as many helpers as they were counting on. I would have gladly scored Doubles on Friday aft. if I had been asked. I wasn't shooting them.

Next year, when there are improvements made and the campers are actually in the campgrounds, it will be even more awesome!

Tim

8. tgs1420@gmail.com

tgs1420@gmail.com Member

Great Place I didn't shoot but was there Tuesday !

9. Ken Mills

Ken Mills Member

To all my new friends in Wisconsin-

I drove 11 hours from Ohio to attend and enjoyed myself and the shooting. I have a few comments that I hope don't offend anyone but just my opinion as an outsider coming in. I felt the shoot moved along well and the facility will in time be comparable to all great shooting venues around the country. I do however feel that the traps could be loaded while we were shooting instead of standing and waiting all the time in the middle of your round. The trap help needs some training. This for some reason really bothers me also my squads had a lot and I mean a lot of broken targets whether this was to pour loading by the trap help or getting them in the traps I don't know, I've never been to shoot where we had so many with the centers punched out. Never seen that before unless intentionally done. Other than that even with the wind and dust, things ran well, scores got posted promptly along with options and payouts, everything went status quo. I think everyone should be proud it was a good shoot, I enjoyed the people at the shoot and in the town of Wisconsin Rapids, and a special thanks to the Heart of Wisconsin Gun Club for letting me come out and shoot Friday night very nice club/people. Thanks again for a good time -Ken Mills

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Dust is a good thing the first year. Usually, dust comes from tires rolling into the trap grounds.

The other dust will disappear when grass takes root.

Ken is a good sounding board, pay attention.

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I'm suprised shitski and cokeglasses aren't responding!!

Duh, I know, it was a good shoot!!

12. jettski25

jettski25 Member

Labor sucked big time. They couldn't load while we shot, couldn't score, scoresheeets were a sea of mistakes. almost shot a kid who came out of house.that happened twice to my squad. shot in event were we had centers punched out of targets. total joke. we deserve better.

Heard from someone they tried to low ball the help and pay them crappy wage. Got what they paid for in that case.

Whatever they (WTA) did at Waukesha they need to talk to guy who ran that trap help. They did it right.

13. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

Wow Jettski25; I never talked to anyone while I was there, or saw while I was shooting myself any of the stuff you're describing other than some of the help being a bit inexperienced and not knowing they could load on the fly. All the score keepers I worked with seemed helpful and competent; we didn't have to make any corrections of their work. It seems very unfair to try to paint them all w/ such a broad brush when all I encountered seemed to be glad to be working and wanting to do a good job. I shot on the east end but did walk the whole line a few times to check on my friends that were shooting on other banks. Maybe others who were there can relate their experiences...

14. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

Brad, i'm not saying some of this stuff wasn't happening...just that I did not see it myself nor did any of my friends who shot the program. Just seems like a bunch of sour grapes and not reflective of the whole event. I'm sure it will be better next year as well, many lessons were learned I'll bet. I just like to keep a positve outlook I guess!

15. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

Trap help needed to stay on the ball and go load as soon as the squad finished, not wait til we started to walk back out to say, hey we have to load. Also, it DOESN'T take 4 kids to load one house. My squad had kids on the next field pop their heads in and out of the house numerous times while we were shooting. Had centers punched out as well, lots of broken targets early in the week, got better fri sat sun. All and all a good shoot, not great but good. Next year should be awesome if we get the same help back. If not, be prepared for a repeat of this year. I will for sure be back next year! Steve Wolf

16. running bear

running bear Member

How many of you complaining offered to help?

Buck

17. perazziboy1

perazziboy1 TS Member

Not complaining, just stating facts!

18. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

How do we know if Jettski was even there. They won't tell us who he or she is so I'm thinking it is all BS on their part.
    I had little to NO problems. If I saw something not being done right I said something things corrected. remember we had the same group in Waukesha for 4 years. Of course they get good. This was the first year at Rome and you know it will get better. More people told me that the dust and the line help was some problem but they said it still is better than Waukesha.

Ken Cerney

19. 99 straight

99 straight TS Member

Shot the whole week also. Had one case of score sheet mishap and some broken targets. Not much later in the week. Only thing I could suggest is that when done shooting around 6pm, we went up to grab a bite to eat and the food venders were closed. Nothing open while shoot offs were going on either. So we patronized the businesses that advertised in the state shoot book.

20. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Brad you and I both know the best way to get changes and improvements done is to contact your Director and make the points known and get their replies. You also know the most of the BOD do not post on this site so you are not making progress. You did a great job as Director and Tournament Director but that is now done and so is WGC for the State shoot. Lets let it go and put your energy to make the New Homegrounds better by contacting your or anyone of the BOD members and maybe even pitch in and help with the problems instead of just criticizing. You have good ideas so put that to work for all.

Ken Cerney