1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2013 South African Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The 2013 South African Grand started yesterday, and will be going on through Sunday.

The event is being held at Wattlespring Gun Club, east of Pretoria in Gauteng Province, South Africa

Since there is only one clay target governing entity for all clay target shooting in South Africa, its more than just trap.

The following events will be shot:

Fun Combo - 25 NSSA Skeet, 25 ATA Trap, and 25 Universal Trench Trap<br>
    Exhibition 27 Yard ATA Trap<br>
    Universal Trench Trap<br>
    ATA Trap<br>
    NSSA Skeet<br>
    DTL Trap<br>
    ATA Doubles<br>
    Olympic Trap<br>
    NSSA Skeet Doubles<br>
    Olympic Doubles Trap

There were 18 squads for ATA trap today, and the same tomorrow. Not a bad turnout, given there are only about 300 people who shoot registered ATA trap in the entire country.

More pics in a few days.

[​IMG]

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Good luck Tim. Show those S. African fellas how its done. Keep us posted and shoot well.

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

If you see Wilna, give her my best, please, Tim. Good luck. Bill Malcolm

4. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Post all the pics you can.....please! Love this stuff.

Good luck.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Did a lot of shooting over the weekend. Overall, I had a great time, and a fun experience. This is my second South African Grand, and although its not the real Grand, its still a big shoot by South African standards.

I'll post a link to my facebook photos when I get them uploaded.

I finished runner up in the ATA 27-yard handicap, by one target.

Fourth in ATA doubles.

Finished just out of the medals with a 191 (95 on Thursday, and a 96 on Friday) in ATA singles trap. The winning score was 195 with two of my friends shooting off for champion.

Then, in DTL I shot a 283 on Friday and a 292 on Saturday. This is the game that is a lot like ATA singles, except the targets are true 3-hole targets, the target speed is 44 mph, a little faster than ATA, and you can shoot twice. 3 points for a first shot kill, 2 points for a second shot kill. My 575 was good enough for Class A silver medal. And, I got the bronze for Provincial Team Champion (with two other guys from my province.)

Then, the big event is the "Mackintosh DTL" which is the last event of the shoot. If you were in the top 25 of the first 100 DTL scores, you can qualify for the "Mackintosh Team Colors" if you also finish in the top 20 on Sunday afternoon. Plus, if you shoot 290 or over, you qualify for "CTSASA Merit Colors" which is apparently quite a big deal. Well, I got third over all with a 295.

So I got both Mackintosh Team Colors and CTSASA Colors.

Like I said, its a pretty big deal because quite a lot of folks came up to me and congratulated me for getting my colors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Bill,

Wilna was not at this shoot. But if I go to the Free State Shoot in October, I will give her your regards.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Good job Tim, well done and congratulations to you!!

Hap

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Great shooting Tim. I'm glad you have been able to participate in the trap shoots there. Gives you a little piece of home while you are there. There is probably not many Americans that can say they have shot the S. African Grand.

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.471121656301531.1073741826.100002111025944&type=1&l=78c141e6b0

Link to a bunch of photos I took at the club this weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.