1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2013 MN High School State Tournament--THANK YOU!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cjt09, Jun 11, 2013.

1. cjt09

cjt09 TS Member

Tom and I want to thank Everyone involved with the 2013 MN High School State Tournament this past week end! Without everyones help this would not have been a success.

We had 2,000 kids plus friends and family who came to the Shooting Park over the three days. THESE KIDS LOVE TO SHOOT PRACTICE....1500 ROUNDS INSIDE THREE DAYS!! Amazing! They would have shot more if they could have. Fun to see this interest in youth shooting.

I want to compliment the six who broke 98 x 100 on Sunday with the rainy, windy weather. These kids did so well in the conditions and we commend you for how well you did.

Look to www.mnclaytarget.com for the stats.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE FOR ALL THE HELP!!

Tom and Cindy Townsend

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Local youth compete at state trap league tournament
    The Morris Area/Chokio-Alberta clay target league just wrapped up its first season by competing in the 2013 State Tournament this past weekend in Alexandria.

There are 117 teams in the Minnesota State High School Clay Target League. With 1,869 student athletes participating in the state tournament, the Alexandria Shooting Park, Minnesota’s largest shooting facility, was a busy place for the three-day event.

Morris Area/Chokio-Alberta shooters participated in all three competition classifications at the tournament, Novice, Junior Varsity, and Varsity.

At the varsity competition Sunday, five Morris Area/Chokio-Alberta shooters took aim in steady rain. Mitch DeBuhr and Mike Rausch both powdered 90 of 100 clay targets. Bo Olson busted 81. Reed Kannegiesser hit 75 and Zach Giese shot 72.

At the end of the day, six shooters with a 98 score tied to compete in a sudden victory shootoff. Brendan McCabe of Hastings High School won the shootoff to become the 2013 State Tournament Overall High Gun Champion.

Second place went to Quinn Rohweder – Hopkins High School; taking third place was Jona Friesen – Detroit Lakes High School; and tying for fourth place were Jake Myers – Hopkins High School, Tommy Mavencamp – St. Michael-Albertville High School, and Jacob Oberloh – Worthington High School.

Emma Olson ofSt. Michael-Albertville High School was the Varsity High Gun Female, followed by Ellen Peterson of Simley High School in second and Jenna Jahnke, also of Stillwater High School, in third.

St. Michael-Albertville High School took first place as a team. Hastings High School came in second and Hopkins High School finished third.

At Saturday’s Junior Varsity competition, the Morris Area/Chokio-Alberta team finished in 11th place of 73 teams with a combined score of 427. Eric Larson and Philip Messner led the team with 92s. Luis D’Antonio (Jose Sperr) shot an 87, Fritz Spohr hit 85, and Matt Munsterman had a 71.

The Novice shooters competed Friday. Brittany Cardwell hit 52, Matt Athey shot 51, Carl Ritzschke hit 51, and Delia Sanasack shot 36 of 75 birds.

The league has been in existence for 10 years and this year the league had more than 3,400 participants in the state. This past winter, the Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL) approved an official partnership with the Minnesota State High School Clay Target League (MSHSCTL).

Starting in June of 2014, trapshooting will be recognized as a sport like all other high school sports. Minnesota will be the first state high school athletic association in the nation to host a sanctioned high school trapshooting state tournament.

http://www.morrissuntribune.com/content/local-youth-compete-state-trap-league-tournament

3. cjt09

cjt09 TS Member

Thanks for the info, Joe.

4. abbielew

abbielew TS Member

A BIG THANK YOU goes to Jim Sable who started the Minnesota State High School Program and to all the folks who helped him.

Also, a BIG THANK YOU to Tom and Cindy Townsend and family who were the work force that ran the shoot at the Alexandria Shooting park.

There were 1869 High School shooters that participated. HELL, that is 4 times more shooters than ATA shooters that shoot the Minnesota State Shoot.
    Also, these kids shot in the rain on Sunday and had fun doing it.

Also and finally, a Big Thank to all the High School students who have taken up the sport of trap shooting. May they they all shoot 100's, "smoke em all"
    and have an shooting activity with them for the rest of their life.

Lew D. Boyko

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

if (BIG IF) they get a real trap gun to shoot, they may stay in the trapshooting ranks. With the family 870, likely not.

6. JACK

Abbielew takes exception to my comment. I have spent days on end scoring targets for the high school kids. I've paid my dues to comment. My comment is not a criticism, rather stating that these kids may be having a good time now and learning a whole bunch of life's valuable lessons, but that does not extrapolate into future ATA trapshooters. If you can afford to get them a trap gun, they may come back into shooing trap after college.

7. abbielew

abbielew TS Member

Sorry MX2G, You are missing the whole point. These youth are learning the
    sport of trap shooting and in due time they will get their real trap gun
    what ever that means. Time will tell, and I am putting my Money on these
    youth that they will be the future of trap shooting and the ATA......

Lew D. Boyko

8. JACK

Lew, We'll have to disagree about that minor point. I'm fully in favor of and financially boost HS shooting in MN. Will again this year. But they will not come back with their 870s. They may be our best bet to keep ATA alive but unless they have some family support with equipment, they will stay with their hand held devices after college. I know a few kids that are likely to stay, but they are shooting BTs, Krieghoff, Perazzi, Beretta, et-al

9. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

Lots of kids on our team shoot Beretta or Remington 1100 autos. A303's, AL391 and a few older ones as well. In my opinion they are perfect for the boys and girls that weigh considerably less than me ;-).

It is a lot of fun to see how excited the kids are as they progress through the year. Watched my son and his squad mate shoot their first 25 straight in the driving rain on Sunday. The kids were amazing.

David

10. JACK

I agree UNMN. Right guns for the time and moment.

11. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Was this shoot sponsored by the Minnesota State High School League?

12. 9point3

I just read the link and I see that it is not sponsored by the Minnesota State High School League.

13. abbielew

abbielew TS Member

Okay,9Point3 Does this explanation help you in understanding the Youth
    Trap program in Minnesota..Sorry if I misled you.

Lew D. Boyko

This past winter, the Minnesota State High School League (MSHSL) approved an official partnership with the Minnesota State High School Clay Target League (MSHSCTL). Starting in June of 2014, trapshooting will be recognized as a sport like all other high school sports

14. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

Next year the Minnesota State High School League WILL be sponsoring an elite team tournament to be held after the Scholastic Clay Target League state championships. This new tournament will be the first state athletic league sponsored tournament in the country. It will be comprised of the teams that are the best in conference during the spring league and at the scholastic league state shoot. This will mark a huge milestone for the shooting sports and high schools. By sponsoring this shoot, the Minnesota high school athletic league is effectively endorsing trap shooting as a legitimate activity.

The benefits gained from the leagues success go beyond the ATA shooters we gain this year. Last year 32 clubs had high school teams shooting on their fields. Some clubs are throwing twice as many targets per year as they did just two years ago. Minnesota clubs are benefiting financially from this increase in business. Stronger clubs mean better club facilities are possible. Alexandria Shooting Park benefits greatly from the high school state shoot income. In 2012, when just under 900 kids shot the high school shoot at Alexandria, the club netted about $12,000. This number was after deducting the labor for the Townsends and the other employees and material expenses Alexandria incurred. This year, with over 1800 kids in attendance, their income should be much greater. Since the MTA state shoot makes up the bulk of Alexandria's income, this added boost in income will mean future rent increases to the MTA may not be needed, holding our state shoot fees down. Essentially, our clubs have benefited, Alexandria has benefited, MTA shooters have benefited and we now have a few thousand kids and their parents and their siblings that are likely pro-gun voters for life and the good thing is every year we'll turn out more of them.

Now for the important part. The high school shoot did not exist just six years ago. The League did exist. It was comprised of eight teams and less then 100 kids. The MTA raised money through the auctions held at their state shoot. Some MTA members dug deep and donated items and purchased items to raise money to fund the high state shoot. The first three high school state shoots were held at the Minneapolis Gun Club and the targets, the lunch, and trophy costs for the kids were covered by the MTA. The Minneapolis club dug deep and gave us a low target cost that was made possible by their members donating their time to work the shoot instead of hiring labor. In 2012, the MTA was the prime sponsor of the first shoot held at Alexandria. This year they were a platinum sponsor. The MTA initiated the first shoot and financed the first three. The publicity gained from these shoots created the impetus behind the rapid league growth. All the funds for these shoots were raised at our state shoot auctions. Help us keep the momentum going. Donate or buy the auction items at this years state shoot. Any donated item is 100% fully tax deductible and any purchased item can be deducted to the extent the price purchased is over the items market value.

Mark Zauhar

15. 9point3

No confusion, just lookin for info, I went to the link and read it for myself.(like I said in my 2nd post)

16. dlw77

dlw77 TS Member

It seems rather funny that the MTA and cooperate sponsors fund this tournament when the kids all pay $20.00 a piece to shoot in it.!! If they where to shoot any registered shoot they shoot for $18.00 or cheaper for 1/2 priced targets. Each student pays $25.00 to belong to the league which does not cover shells or targets!!
    Mr Sable now has three non profit c3 for which no information on the finances can be found. The gun clubs are making some money which is only fair and there were 70 trophy s given out betwee team and individuals for the league and state tournament . The league took in roughly $115,000 not including corporate sponsors. Where is the money going we are not seeing a cross over into the ATA now when it is much cheaper for the kids to get exposed .Mr. Sable has openly said that you don't need to shoot ATA or SCTP or AIM ,raised league fees from $10.00 to $25.00 for so called insurance so teams would not join SCTP or AIM where they are able to shoot year round for $25.00 and be eligible for national tournaments and honors. All three offer scholarships for schooling post high school as does MNHSCTL one scholarship.

Let's look at this with open eyes it is great for the gun clubs and the kids to get exposed but it stops right there. Unless direction from the top starts to promote registered shooting and other avenues we are pouring money down the drain .

Dave Warweg

17. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

Dave, you have no idea what it takes to run the league. I've seen the budgets and I can tell you the league is well managed financially. The crossover to registered shooting IS important. Some has already happened and more will come. I don't know what you are looking for but it is always going to be a small amount. At one time I was a club member at both South St Paul gun club and West End in Eagan. Combined membership of the two clubs at that time was over 1400 adult shooters. I counted less then 25 that shot registered.

As to the ability for the kids to shoot half priced targets for $18 or less. How the hell do you think that happens? It happens because the club, the ATA or the MTA subsidize it. The league charged the kids $20 for the state shoot. The league could not have done it without the corporate contribution. For that $20 the kids got the targets, the trophies and the hoopla that comes with the shoot. Since over 1800 showed up, I guess a few of them disagreed with you.

The success of the league has spawned benefits to more than 30 clubs in the state. The vendors at the state shoot that experienced heavy sales certainly benefited. The Alexandria club had to have done very well also. Last year they made $12,000 on the shoot when less than 900 kids participated. You probably don't know it, but up until the HS shoot moved to Alexandria last year, the MTA state shoot was virtually the sole financial support of Alexandria. Why do you think the MTA pays Alexandria $9/100 targets rent plus the labor and target costs. Last year the MTA gave the HS League $15,000 to be named the event sponsor. Since Alexandria netted $12,000, it would seem the MTA in effect got most of their money back in just one year.

SCTP benefited for years from the National Shooting Sports Foundation to the tune of millions. The Minnesota League has grown to a level in Minnesota SCTP will never reach with a budget that is small in comparison.

If the above facts don't convince you, then I suggest you consider the fact that over 5,000 people showed up during the three days and from what I hear, most of them were very satisfied. There is nothing that the league can do to get kids to shoot other venues. If the other venues have something to offer, that the kids want, the kids will shoot it. Bad mouthing a league that obviously has found what the kids want isn't going to get more kids shooting which is what the whole point is in the first place. I don't care if the kids shoot trap, skeet, sporting or what ever, I believe a kid shooting any sport is a good thing.

Mark Zauhar, corporate and individual sponsor of the Minnesota Scholastic Clay Target League and darn proud to do it.

18. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Great job Townsends, Mark, kids and all involved.

Don't see how at least exposing more kids to trapshooting can be a bad thing and don't understand why there would be negative comments at all. Oh well

If you're going to argue with Mark you better come prepared FYI!

19. JACK

I am a huge fan of youth shooting. And try and do some part to advance it. But if a kid has a real trap gun he will have a better chance of trying ATA after his organized youth/high school shooting. Does not have to be a expensive gun, just one designed for trap. 1100s, 300 series Berettas, beginning Brownigs, etc.

20. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I agree. I bet some of those kids will take that step.

Search tags for this page

jake myers trap