1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2013 and Lead Shot Availability

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OldGoat, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

News Headline: "Closing of lead smelter to affect jobs and taxes" from the Kansas City Star, 12/12/2010, page B3. I would add to the headline for shooters, "..not to mention lead shot." The story following this headline goes to report that the Doe Run Co., located in Herculaneum, MO. and described as the "nation's only primary lead smelter" is scheduled to shut down by the end of 2013. So I am not accused of being "Chicken Little" on this forum, hopefully, more knowledgeable trapshooters can comment about the impact of this shutdown on the availability and price of lead shot in the future...and give us the "straight scoop". Hope the sky isn't falling. Best Regards, Ed

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Ed, I think the sky is falling on lead shot. It is only a matter of time. Read the writing on the walls. jmho Bill

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<center>[​IMG]</center><blockquote><I>...Doe Run Co., located in Herculaneum, MO...."nation's only primary lead smelter"...</I></blockquote>Right...PRIMARY smelter...one that still smelts lead from raw ore, and as of Nov. 2010 there are still 5 other companies in the US listed as primary producers.

There are also 16 other secondary smelting companies in the US that recover lead from recycled lead scrap and 5 of them are owned by Doe Run in Missouri. Doe Run also owns mines and smelters in other countries. Since the mining of lead ore in the US has declined, it makes good sense to close the smelter that requires it and turn the resources to recycling. More lead is recycled than any other metal.

MK

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

MK, Thanks for providing this information! I was hoping someone who knows more about this subject would chime in. Recycling lead shot should certainly help as we think about this. Bill Grill is right, though, the EPA is going to continue to restrict the presence of lead as much as possible. I will be almost 74 at the end of 2013 and the concern about how long I can shoot my shotguns is always there...would be really traumatic if I were younger. Best Regards, Ed

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

read this link

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

and this link

7. Unknown1

Your second link's incomplete... <I>http://bit.ly/e6lo35</i>

That's why it made sense to close it and focus on recycling. No point on spending more money on an obsolete processing facility.

MK

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

It's probably time for the ATA, NSSA, NSCA to announce the mandatory switch to non-toxic shot at a specific future date, maybe five, seven, or ten years from.

If the governments or their agencies don't require we will find we have fewer and fewer clubs, and club closings will accelerate. At some point we will find ourselves below the critical mass need to sustain the sport.

ATA should be the leader. There are clubs now using non-toxic only. Trap can survive a switch to non-toxic. NSSA and NSCA can't lead on this. NSSA has bigger problems than trap due it skeet's use of aluminum tubes and four gauges. Skeet may have to become a three-gun sport with non-toxic.

Trap can survive going to non-toxic shot. Trap cannot survive the closings of its clubs.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Why not avoid all the hassle by having a lead recovery system in place? HMB

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

hmb - I don't believe lead recovery works everywhere.

11. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Our local Walmart is now using steel wheel weights in their Tire Lub Sorta Express

12. porky

porky TS Member

Doe Run is also considering opening a new plant where they are closing the old one. I am not betting on it, but it will keep the vandalism down until a decision is made.

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There are many types of lead recovery available. One of which will work well on the fourth planet from the sun. HMB

14. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"There are many types of lead recovery available. One of which will work well on the </i>fourth planet from the sun."</blockquote>Mars? What type of lead recovery method will work on Mars?

MK

15. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Any options besides steel shot?

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Martian lead mines. We can broker a trade. Instead of them invading, destroying cities with heat waves, and having to catch people and drain their blood, we'll swap them liberals for lead. Everyone profits.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.