1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

2012 South African GRAND

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hey gang.

The South African Grand National is coming up in late April. Thought I would post here and let you know a little about it and what events are shot. I'm really looking forward to this event. Luckily, it will be held this year at a club that is only about 20 miles from home.

The event will be shot over 5 days, starting Wednesday, 25 April and completing Sunday, 29 April.

There are 11 events, shot among a number disciplines. Since the number of shooters here is much smaller than the USA, there is one governing body, the Clay Target Shooting Association of South Africa (CTSASA), and they govern over all the various disciplines, trap, skeet, spoting clays, etc.

The SA Grand includes championships in ATA Trap, FITASC Universal Trench Trap, DTL Trap, and NSSA Skeet. Not sure why Olympic Trap and Olympic Trap Doubles are not included.

There will also be several warm-up events, and a few exhibition events.

One of the exhibition events this year will be a 50 target 27-yard handicap. I take a small bit of credit for getting this event added. The club where the SA Grand is being hosted this year is one of the few clubs that has handicap pads. I was talking with a friend, who happens to be a CTSASA director for one of the provinces, bemoaning the fact that nobody shoots handicap over here. He said people used to, but they lost interest since only a few clubs had long yardage pads. He said he would see what he could do to get a handicap event added, and voila, there's a handicap event.

Wednesday is reserved for practice rounds, and two exhibition events:

Event 1. Trap Combo of 25 ATA singles, and 25 pair ATA doubles.<br>
    Event 2. Multi-discipline combo of 25 Universal Trench, 25 NSSA Skeet, and 25 ATA Trap.

Thursday is all exhibition events:

Event 3. 100 ATA Singles warm-up.<br>
    Event 4. 100 DTL Trap warm-up.<br>
    Event 5. 50 ATA Trap 27-yard targets.

Friday will have the first of the championship events:

Event 6. 100 ATA Singles Trap (first 100 championship targets)<br>
    Event 7. 100 FITASC Universal Trench Trap (first 100 championship targets)<br>
    Event 8. 100 NSSA Skeet Doubles (not an official championship) <br>
    Event 9. 100 ATA Doubles Trap (not an official championship)

Saturday:

Event 6 (continued). 100 ATA Singles Trap (second 100 championship targets)<br>
    Event 7 (continued). 100 FITASC Universal Trench Trap (second 100 championship targets)<br>
    Event 10. 100 DTL Trap (first 100 championship targets)<br>
    Event 11. 100 NSSA Skeet (first 100 championship targets)

Sunday:

Event 10 (continued). 100 DTL Trap (second 100 championship targets)<br>
    Event 11 (continued). 100 NSSA Skeet (second 100 championship targets)

I'll take photos and report back.

They do things a little differently over here. Only the first 100 targets you shoot count towards the championship. You don't have to shoot the second 100, and if you don't shoot the first 100 targets, but shoot only the second 100, that still counts toward your 100 championship targets. I am not sure I completely understand it, but they are not really 200 target events...kind of.

Targets are EXPENSIVE over here. Each championship event is 300 Rand per 100 targets. 300 Rand is about US $40.
  2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Day two of the South African Grand.

Day one was very uneventful. Mostly a handful of guys milling around and shooting practice here and there.

I only shot one event. It was the combination 25 ATA singles and 50 ATA doubles.

Ran the singles and was doing ok until station 5 of the doubles were I shot a flippin' 6. Ouch.

Still got 2nd place in that event and took home 270 Rand, about $35.

Today had a few more people. I shot a 96 in the preliminary singles event (had only dropped two targets until the last flippin' station!)

But the way I've been shooting lately...I'll take it. It was good enough to medal for Class A runner-up.

There was a 50 target exhibition 27 yard handicap event today that I had been looking forward to. I'm no 27 yarder (with the recent reduction, I'm back to 22), but since nobody shoots handicap over here, I was kind of expected to win. And I did. With a 41. The next best score was a 34. Again, no medal, but another 270 Rand prize.

South African ATA Singles championship is tomorrow, and the ATA doubles event. Also tomorrow are Universal Trench and Skeet, which I don't plan to shoot.
  3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Good luck Timb. Make a good showing for our Country. No Presssure. Just the weight of the USA on your shoulders. LOL
  5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Thanks Matt. No pressure.

I AM the only American participating.

And I've placed in all three events I've shot, so I think I'm holding up our end pretty well, for just an average ATA so-so shooter. It would be nice to have Leo and Harlan for backup, though.
  6. whiz white

whiz white Perazzi & P/W Part s Dealer & Repair Staff Member Supporting Vendor

TIM99: Is it being held at the Valley Gun Club?

I sold and flew down to them their first set of ATA trap machines. They've invited me down a couple of times. Paul deVilliers of the Landskroon Winery even offered to stary there.

I should go before I keel over.

Whiz
  7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Whiz, no it is at Centurion, which is about halfway between Johannesburg and Pretoria.

I plan to go to Valley Gun Club in September for the Western Cape Provincial Shoot.
  8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I misspoke above. The "Grand" singles event really is 200 targets, but its shot over two days. But its almost like two separate events because you don't shoot on the same squad the second day. I was squad 4 on Friday and will be squad 11 on Saturday.

Size-wise, I would rate it about as big as the last Kansas Eastern Zone Shoot I attended a couple years ago. About 14 squads of singles.

Day 3:

Dropped 3 targets in my first 50. All three at Station 1. Then ran the next 50 for a 97. There was one 99, and seven 97's. We shoot the final 100 on Saturday.

In the ATA doubles, which very few people shoot over here, there were only 16 entries, and really only a handful of people who actually know how to shoot it. I am a B Class doubles shooter, and haven't had much time to practice, so while an 82 is below my average, I'll take it. It was good enough for 3rd place. The winning score was a 91, and second was a 90.
  9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

BTW, FITASC Universal Trench looks like an interesting game.

Its not quite International Trap, but its similar. Shot on the same field as a bunker trap, but you only use 5 of the 15 machines. The three middle ones that are in front of station 3, plus one machine in front of station 4 that throws a screaming left hand crosser, and one machine in front of station 2 that throws a screaming right-hand crosser.

Otherwise, it is shot nearly exactly the same as Interational trap. Move after each shot, you get two shots, and there's a computer that makes sure you get one each of the 5 target presentations at each station.
  10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Didn't have internet at the house over the weekend. Here's how the rest of the weekend went:

I started well on Saturday with a 25 on the first trap, but the wheels fell off for a 93, so 190 total for the event. Tied with about 8 other guys for also-ran.

That score, plus the score of 4 other guys from the province I shoot for (Limpopo) qualified us for a ‘Team Silver Medal’

The individual winning score was a 196.

When it came time to shoot DTL, I think I was just worn out, and shot poorly. It shouldn't be that different, except I'm using my double barrel set instead of my unsingle. Oh well.

Out of the 6 events I shot, I got a medal or a prize of some sort in 5 of them, so I represented the USA fairly well, for an average shooter.

• Combo event (25 ATA singles and 25 pair ATA doubles) - 2nd place<br>
    • Preliminary 100 ATA Targets - Class A Runner-Up<br>
    • 27 Yard ATA Handicap - WINNER <i>(OK, so what if it was only 50 targets, I shot a 41, and only about 10 people entered. Now I can say honestly and with a straight face, I am the 2012 South African Grand Handicap Champion, chuckle, chuckle.)</i> <br>
    • ATA Championship 200 targets – Team Silver Medal<br>
    • ATA Doubles – Third place with an 82. Won a really nice lawn chair.

Bottom line, it was a lot of fun, and the South African guys are great people to shoot with, just like back home.
  11. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Good shooting , sure sounds like fun!!
  12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Here's a few pictures.

Paste the link into your browser:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.301489579931407.70929.100002111025944&type=3&l=e0bed48909
  13. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting those Tim.
  14. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Active Member

Thanks for the great pics..
    It appears that someone has put the steering wheel on the wrong side of that Mustang....
  15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Indeed Two Dogs! And he paid a pretty price to do it!

Imported as a left-hand drive and converted over here. Its one of a kind.
  16. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Great thread mate and congrats on your results!

Out of interest, what was the winning score of the DTL, and was it shot point score (3 for first, 2 for second)?
  17. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Tim,

Great pics and good job shooting. Looks like a great bunch of shooters to shoot with and a nice facility to shoot at. Everyone is wearing a smile. Once again, thanks for sharing.

Matt
  18. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Enjoyed the pictures very much. Good shooting. Jackie B.
  19. whiz white

whiz white Perazzi & P/W Part s Dealer & Repair Staff Member Supporting Vendor

Tim: When you get to the Valley Gun Club, if you run across this guy (picture below) tell him "Hello" for me.

I have a bunch of items he ordered from various places in the US that would not ship them to him, so I am sending them off here in a few days.

He is Paul de Villiers of the Landskroon WInery in Suidar-Paarl. He is responsible for VGC getting into ATA trapshooting.

whizwhite_2008_0203256.jpg

He's quite the hunter and adventurer. He just sent me some photos of his daughter's wedding. Seems we both have pretty daughter attorneys.

Whiz
  20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Aussie Dan,

I do not know. We shot 200 targets over two days. I'll see if I can find out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.