1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2012 Hogan's

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ebsurveyor, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

What's up with the Hogan's this year? Down 383 entries and lots of people that were there did not shoot the singles championship.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Not sure about other shooter's, but in my case (and quite a few other DE & MD shooter's) I spent a week and quite a bit of money at the Cardinal Classic 2 weeks ago.

Also for me, there are 2 local clubs that will be having registered shoots for the next 4 weekends. As much as I enjoy Elysburg, it boils down to a "time & money" management process.

Curt

3. open choke

open choke TS Member

There was threats of a bad storm coming and the morning of the 200 singles the sky was playing games it went from sunshine like it was going to pour 6 times in less than an hour.

We wanted to shoot so bad but we left. We also said if it rains during the second 100 oh well at least we got half in before the rain but then we would have been looking at a 5hr ride home so we said screw it and left :-(

4. AlanM

AlanM Member

Saturday, the rain didn't start until after the second hundred was done. The wind was another story, they said gust up to 26 mph. Sunday, the weather was just right, slight breeze and plenty of sun.

Alan

5. ontariogal

ontariogal Member

Gary, just because one didn't go, doesn't mean one doesn't care - especially about a tournament that usually attracts many.

b.

6. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Why I did not go to the Hogan's:

1. I can't get good banks at Elysburg.
    2. After shooting every event at the Grand (except CoC) I'm shot out.
    3. Had family here form CA. for the week.

I think #1 was the main reason.

7. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

Showed up early sat morning. Classified and then went to squading desk. Pulled three post for bank 12 squad 108, very last squad didnt know it at the time. Lots of shooters turning in there positions because of weather forcast.
    Shot the first hundred targets in the wind. Second hundred was very nice to shoot, sun poked through the clouds every once in a while making targets look very bright. Had a good shoot 95/99 = 194 Like was said above rain held off untill we finished shooting. Westy Hogans is a great shoot.

Jason in PA

8. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

With almost everyone having smart phones these days, why don't people call up the radar?
    I use mine all the time to show folks and they for some reason, still refuse to believe a live Doppler image versus what the 12 hour old forecast in the paper says. SHEESH!

Tim

9. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I heard that some regulars were just plain "shot out" for the year, and decided to pass on this one.

10. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

We had a great time--only a cancellation would have kept us away.

Weather scared a ton of folks off Saturday.

I wonder about folks who are so picky about banks... I've shot them all and usually get to shoot at least a couple of events from the coveted banks 1-4. Frankly late in the afternoon the lower banks are primo in my opinion.

I understand preferences, but don't understand refusing to shoot any of them. That's just me tho...

Guy Babin

11. AlanM

AlanM Member

Just another excuse, I can't get the banks I want. You have to learn to shoot them all. The weather was a factor, but it is an outdoor sport.

Alan

12. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Where can we find the results ???

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Alan, wrong. Some shooters at Elysburg never have to learn different banks. I assume that's what Emerson was referring to!!

14. Birch1007

Birch1007 Member

Ole Ollie can you give specific examples? On Friday I walked in and got banks 5 and 1. On Sunday I walked in when they opened and got Banks 3 and 4. All where within the first 5 squads. Did not shoot Saturday because of the weather. Don't mind shooting in the rain, I was concerned abouit driving home in the stuff. The roads out of Elysburg are a little rough in spots.

15. oleolliedawg

Birch1007, it's not my job to name names. Maybe Emerson would like to elaborate or would you just prefer to call him a prevaricator?

Of course, you could suggest they draw banks in the AM as they do in FL. Great idea-right!!

16. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Just watch the "good old boys"

prime time; prime banks; every time.

Why do you think they will not scramble the banks?

17. oleolliedawg

Birch1007, maybe you should have played the lottery this weekend as you must have been extremely lucky.

Other than that, tell us your thoughts on "scrambling the banks"!

Or maybe only banks 5-12 should be scrambled-right!!

18. Birch1007

Birch1007 Member

Not sure what you mean by scrambling the banks. As for squading, I don't have to start on a particular post or shoot with my friends. When I squad there all I ask is for an early flight and on the upper banks if possible. Most of the time I get the first 8 banks. The only bank I really don't care for is 11 for handicap, the pads are not wide enough.

19. oleolliedawg

Birch1007, scrambling the banks is not rocket science. You obviously have not shot at the Silver Dollar in FL where the practice is SOP!!

20. Birch1007

Birch1007 Member

Yep, your right, I can only afford to attend shoots that are within reasonable driving distance. Couple of hours or less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.