1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2012 Grand Classification/Penalty Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Down here in South Africa, I've been talking with a group of guys who have expressed interest in coming to the 2012 Grand in August.

On guy in particular is "perplexed" as to "how the grand works." Pretty good singles shooter.

Specifically, he wants to shoot primarily singles (that's about all anybody here shoots anyway) but he said he wants to give handicap a try, and I've been practicing with him from 25 yards.

He will, of course, be joining ATA for the first time ever when he goes to the Grand, so he will have exactly zero registered targets to his name.

I've tried to explain "penalty clasification and penalty yardage" it to him, and I've printed off the 2011 grand program to try to explain it to him.

Correct me if I'm wrong. If he goes to Sparta, joins ATA, then goes to the classification window and says he wants to shoot for trophies, they will classify him Class B and he'll get put at the 25 yard line, correct?

If he decides to shoot targets only (he says he doesn't want to do that), would he be classified D for singles and 20 yards for handicap?

Tim

2. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Tim -

I'm pretty sure you are correct regarding handicap - 25 for trophies or 20 if a new member and t/o. However, for singles/doubles they can classify based on known ability, so if he's a "pretty good singles shooter" they could put him in any class they deem fits his known ability. But I believe the program says B, but that is the minimum (I don't have a program handy, but you could verify that).

Scott

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Thanks Scott.

Yeah, I just looked at clause number "8" of the 2011 program, and it specifically says for "members of foreign shooting associations" that he needs to bring his "home classification card" so they can classify him.

Sounds like that's the answer!

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yeah, otherwise, Digweed and Faulds would shoot 'B' and 25...

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Don't start that BS BigM. It's too early in the winter for that. :)

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot a 100 in D class and you will probably get a class award after the shoot off. HMB

7. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Why would anyone travel there to shoot targets only? Do many people do that?

At least you should be in the Lewis, right? Can you do the Lewis with targets only?

8. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Dan -

Not sure how many do it, but I know at least one friend of mind did. He shot t/o for handicap, took the penalty for singles/doubles. He's a 20 yard shooter and didn't want to shoot from the 25 knowing that he would shoot terrible. He'd rather shoot at the 20 and have a chance of breaking a good score rather than embarrass himself at the 25. Also, you still get punched with a 96+ even if you are shooting t/o, so you can earn yardage with a good score.

If you are t/o you can't play any options.

Scott

9. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

hmb, guess how many 100's were shot in D class singles or doubles at the last two Grands, prelim's and Grand week?

10. BigM-Perazzi

don't know Rick, how many 200's in singles and 100's in D class doubles were shot at the last two Grands...

11. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Follow-on question. Say somebody decides to shoot targets only and ends up winning the event with the only 100 straight? Or they tie for the best score?

What happens in that case?

13. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Depends, they either cry or throw something!

They get a punch, but nothing else.

14. BigM-Perazzi

They get multiple yards and an 'H' code at the grand...

And,

And,

The eternal gratitude of all the 99's that played options ..

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

So, singles or handicap, nothing, no trophy, just a pat on the back and a "thanks for your entry fee!"

16. BigM-Perazzi

That's why it's called 'targets only '

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.