1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2011 SHOTGUN NATIONALS - COLORADO SPRINGS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by YODA100, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

Beautiful weather, except for a persistent modest 30mph southeast wind, greeted shooters this morning to the International Shooting Center at Fort Carson for training day. Lots of Colorado sun with loads of blue sky. Lots of big names on hand and a few shooters from other countries. My plan is to be there for the entire trap shooting events and hopefully trap doubles next week. I will take more photos as the days pass and post them. Had the pleasure of watching Rachael Heiden, Catlin Connor, Kelsey Zauhar, Ryan Hadden and my long time NY friend, Rick Chordash, Colorado Springs hometown young lady Janessa Beaman and Corey Cogdell shoot this morning. I was thinking that there should be a rule to adjust the speed of those targets to ones age, wow.

yoda100_2008_030350.jpg

yoda100_2008_030351.jpg

yoda100_2008_030352.jpg

yoda100_2008_030353.jpg

yoda100_2008_030354.jpg

yoda100_2008_030355.jpg

yoda100_2008_030356.jpg

2. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

thx,... how do you get on the grounds if you're not in the event? I wanna drive down on Sun and spectate.

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

Yoda.... The targets at Colorado Springs are actually slower that those on typical lower elevation ranges. The ranges are at 6200 feet and you don't have to throw them as hard.

10 years ago I shot on a squad with Rick. He shot a 100 and i shot a 89 the best I have ever shot at this game. It was squad that almost could do no wrong. The altitude bothers me. The last time I shot there I got home to Florida and felt so much better that I was back in the land where there are enough oxygen in the air to sustain life.

Sportshot.... Suggest you call the USA Shooting at the OTC and ask to be put on the access list. I have had visitors come down before. It can be done.

Tom

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

In the last photo, is that Janessa B.??

Hap

5. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

In todays competition, Morgan Harbison, a sophomore at Texas A&M and a young man we help sponser, posted a 73x75!! Good shootin', Morgan!!!

Ken Rucker...Speedbump Stockworks

6. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

Sportshot .... You don't need to get on a list, just show up at the gate and you are there. If you need directions to Gate 7, PM me.

TBaber ... Don't know about slow. They looked pretty damn quick to me when I watched them set to the 80 meter stakes. Rick is still a viable contender in any competition and is one of only a handful to have broken 100x100.

Hap ... That is indeed our own Janessa. She had two good rounds to start today but the wind really got blowing and she faltered a bit.

More sunny skies today and a bit warmer in the mid/upper 80's but with that great 16% Colorado humidity. The wind became a real factor later in the day after starting from the North (fields face north) at maybe 15 mph. It switched later, varying from the southeast to the south at velocities higher than yesterday. I am guessing 35 steady with gusts to 45. Nasty conditions.

Mens top scores are: Brian Burrows/74 - Corey Spruill/74 - Wesley Wilcox/74 - Richard Hadden/73 - Dominic Grazioli/73 - Morgan Harbison/73. They are shooting a 75/50/75/50 format over three days.

Womens top scores are: Kayle Browning/73 - Rachael Heiden/73 - Kelsey Zauhar/70 - Janessa Beaman/69 - Theresa Dewitt/69.

yoda100_2008_030357.jpg

yoda100_2008_030358.jpg

yoda100_2008_030359.jpg

This guy was wandering around incognito. Folks were wondering if he is a closet bunker guy. It is always nice to see and talk to him. Recognize him?

yoda100_2008_030361.jpg

I will try to pay more attention to photos tomorrow. They call for temperatures about 80, maybe 20% rain although none so far. Wind? This is Colorado, it is not if, it is how hard.

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

Yoda.... Slow is a relative thing. Depends what you are use to. One of the biggest difference is that since the air is thinner at 6200 ft there is less resistance so the target does not slow down as fast therefore it does not have to be thrown as hard to maintain velocity to get to the 76 meter line. There is also one other major difference. The CVR's that are typical at ATA shoots have a delay that is not present in the Electro Progretti system used at the OTC and most other bunkers. When you call pull the target is there ... no delay.

You have to shoot bunker to fully appreciate how difficult it is.

TB

8. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

The morning was much better for wind but as usual it picked up velocity in the afternoon and was bothersome. Clouds rolled in late morning but the shooters stayed on target. Only 50 targets today so it was finished in good time and then 75 targets tomorrow.

The link above will take you to the results page for the event which is updated in a very timely manner.

yoda100_2008_030362.jpg

Flags were like this from mid morning through the end of competition, gnarly ...

yoda100_2008_030363.jpg

Rachael Heiden - this kid can shoot ...

yoda100_2008_030364.jpg

Susan Natrass from Canada, a long time bunker competitor ...

yoda100_2008_030365.jpg

yoda100_2008_030366.jpg

Janessa Beaman working hard ...

yoda100_2008_030367.jpg

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

Yoda:

Thanks for the updates and the photos

Tom

10. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

thanx Yoda, lots of surprising scores, (men) favorites are fading [Mullins Colin, Lance] newcomers are charging ---

(women) low participation by them? in fact, the whole event seems low?? -- the top of their board is as expected, except for Corey... too bad. Ques: is Rachel wearing a dress?

I'm surprised they let spectators in without being on a list. I've shot there the last three Nationals. Loved it, but I can't take the time off work anymore (three days to shoot practice and 125 targets). I'll just come down to Pikes Peak for your clinics and matches.

11. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

The mystery guy is Rick Marshall with his oldest son, right??

12. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

It is scary but encouraging watching some of these kids shoot having acquired such ability and focus. It speaks well for the youth and junior programs being offered around the country.

Rachael is not wearing a dress. Like 90% of the women shooters she is wearing black leotard things (I am not up on what current women's fashions are called). She has a towel hanging from her left side which makes it look strangely dress like in the photo. Work is the curse of the shooter for sure.

We are moving ahead with the bunker at PPGC, slowly, but surely. We are using as much volunteer labor as we can and having to work on the volunteers schedule. I am sure we will be shooting warm weather targets. It will be good to have you stop by.

13. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

Dang Mark ... Good eye. I have watched a Zauhar shoot for the last two days, I bet her dad is proud.

14. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

You got that right. Proud for sure.

Kelsey's Dad, Mark

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Thank you YODA for the great pictures and the reports! All have the right to be proud of their daughters involved in this great venture!

I know Janessa Beaman, one of the most mentally tough young lady's I've ever met and shot with!! Her dad Jay is rightfully proud of her too!!!

Hap

16. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Morgan Harbison posted another 73 today to put him in 4th place with a 192 total.......only 2 targets out of 1st!!! 50 targets left to go!!

Ken Rucker

17. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

Didn't make it out today but if it was as windy at Ft. Carson as it was where I was it would have been nasty. Click the link above for the scores through 200 targets. Shootoff tomorrow and my plan is to be there. Lots of position changes from yesterday.

Janessa Beaman broke a 50 on her first two traps today followed by a 20 to move up to sixth place.

More pics tomorrow, it should be an exciting day ...

18. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

"Our boy", Morgan Harbison, finished the shoot today at second place in the Juniors and fourth place overall!! Congratulations, Morgan, on four days of good shooting!!

Ken and Carolyn Rucker

19. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

Well .... A hard fought and exciting trap Championship has come to an end for 2011. It was a great 4 days except for the Colorado wind which seemed to blow harder at shoot off time. Today started out cloudy and cool with little wind but there is never no wind here and it got blowing about 11:00.

I didn't get to follow all the divisions as I was following Pikes Peak Gun Club Jr. women's shooter Janessa Beaman. Janessa just missed the Women's final after a tie with Kelsey Zauhar for the finals in the shoot off for 6th. I inadvertently stumbled into the Zauhar cheering section yesterday and got mauled by their dog. Any dog that will fit in your hat ain't all bad though.

The results for all matches are posted at the USA Shooting link above. Enjoy ...

I am not a skeetie guy but may drop out a day for those matches. I intend to take in the double trap events as much as I can and will post again.

yoda100_2008_030368.jpg

Richard Hadden ...

yoda100_2008_030374.jpg

Janessa Beaman ...

yoda100_2008_030375.jpg
    yoda100_2008_030377.jpg

yoda100_2008_030378.jpg

yoda100_2008_030379.jpg

Jr. women's Final - This guy just would not move ...

yoda100_2008_030381.jpg

20. Sportshot

Sportshot Active Member

Pretty hard to imagine that Rachel Heiden had a 6 target lead going into the final and lost by two targets.

Is Kayle Browning related somehow back to John Y. Browning...

Is Janessa on the USA Shooting Development team? Is that why she's is shooting bunker instead of ATA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

where to buy trap shotgun in colorado springs forum