1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

2011 Grand America big attendance?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by darwinbene, Nov 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darwinbene

darwinbene Member

The Grand for this next ought to have a lot more shooter there. With the $300,000 added money and the $200 entry fee for the Lewis purses what do you think?

RV spaces might be a bit scarce maybe? Been trying to reserve a space but can't, anyone have suggestions. Have tried through the IDNR and ATA but no luck.

Darwin Benedict

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do not know about others, but I plan to be there. The $300,000 is very nice, but I would attend if it were not offered.

Pat Ireland

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I won't go to the Grand as long as its in Sparta, IL.
    Oh wait a minute, i live in Sparta, IL. Guess i'll go too then.

Matt

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I sure hope we have some more eastern state participation. It's not as Grand without them.

5. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Barry, Very good observation----without the eastern shooters it's not the Grand. If they would put in some good restaurants and a dozen new nice motels you just might get some of these people to attend.

Alas--- I doubt this will happen. Neither will consideration of the vendors.

Personally I don't care how much money you throw out there the infrastructure is not in place to handle more than what you are seeing right now. Clearly 2010 showed this.

We can only hope the Grand could maybe some day be Grand again. If I'm not mistaken the sporting clays nationals had a higher attendance than either the Clay Target or the Grand American handicap! In fact I think it was higher than both combined or something like that!

That should not set well with any of us! Phil S.

6. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Well, Phil, it looks like you are mistaken about the 2010 NSCA Championship attendance as compared to the Clay Target Championship (1843) or the Grand American Handicap (1988).

"2010 National Sporting Clays Championship

National Shooting Complex, San Antonio, TX - By Tom Schewe

10/26-31/2010: The 22nd annual National Sporting Clays Championship saw windy conditions early in the week that changed to nearly perfect shooting weather for the Main on Friday, Saturday, & Sunday for the record breaking (1477 registered shooters) number of competitors that participated in this year’s competition. With shooters coming from all over the US as well as an international contingent from Central and South America as well as Europe the Nationals are truly a world class competition. Shooter can compete in as many as 9 different events which are broken down into as many as 11 different classifications. Add to that the nightly entertainment and festivities which feature Top Gun competitions, Halloween Costume Contests, Golf Cart Decorating Contests, supplier sponsored food and beverages, and raffles and promotions the National Championship IS the premier fall event for the Sporting Clays shooter."

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Phil - As V 10 pointed out, one event at the Grand had 1,988 entries and all of the events at the Sporting Clays Championship had a combined entries of 1477.

Pat Ireland

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Please don't let facts get in the way of opinions...

[snicker]

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

I hope to go. The $300k is not a deciding factor for me but should attracted others.

I hate the weather and the location. Bought a 5th wheel this year so I will be looking for a site to ease the location problem. Staying on site makes it much better than driving to O'Fallon.

It is the Grand. It is where it is. That will not change in my lifetime. Make the best of it, or stay home and whine.

Don Verna

10. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

I hate to agree with Phil and Don, but I do, this is a great shoot in a sh t hole place, the best way to have great time is to get a camper which I did but the food and the services still are sub par, we spend a lot of money there and walmart gets it.The design of the property as far as venders and traps suck. The club house should be in the middle and then traps go both way,and venders going both way off the clubhouse. But I will be there as well as the Eastern and western shooter should be, these are our grounds and our association, suck it up and go.It's going to be a long winter. Stan

11. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

The added money is great, fantastic. Truthfully, this money will only affect a small percentage of shooters. If the ATA and the donors of the money want to see increased attendance and added participation, split up the added money over each event, randomly pick out a number from zero to nine, and all those people that shot that number shoots off together for that events designated added cash award. It's not rocket science to increase attendance. Everyone who participates has to feel that they can walk away a big winner, regardless of skill level. If this money is split up the right way, shooters will forget about the heat and every other reason some dislike Sparta.
    Steve Balistreri

12. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Stan, Seems as though you and many others get what I'm saying. I never said I would not go----business dictates this---- however don't try to convince us that we somehow like it.

Too damn hot and VERY inconvenient!

I am well aware it's not going to change but this fact is very disappointing as well! Phil S.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Not trying to make an already sticky issue worse, do you think there was this much hate and opposition when the Grand moved around before Vandalia?? I always wondered if the days before the Internet and TS.COM if people were so quick to hate as they are now. I'm one of the lucky ones that had the Grand relocate into my back yard so of course i'm happy. Was the fact that the earlier Grands moved more often an easier thing to stomach?

Matt

14. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I think people will come just for the Mr. Buns contest. Nobody wants to see the Miss Grand American contest, but we'll hold it anyway just to be fair.

15. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

I just looked at the 2010 Grand Attendance by state. It's a very large MidWestern shoot w/o Western shooters attending in any numbers-National Shoot doesn't look like it!

16. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

I think the Grand is in a great place as it is only a 150 mile drive for me.
    Ohio was over 400 miles away and hot as hell most years
    Couldn't begin to get a trailer space.

I pull a fifth wheel trailer and have all the infrastructure I need during the time I spend at the Grand.

What needs to be considered is the time of the year it is held, a month later would make a great deal of difference.

ed.

17. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

Phil, I agree with you 100%, I know you are going and so am I, and it is a disapointment and too dam hot, it's the eastern shooters and the western shooters that need to come anyway, as I said on other threads, lets rotate the dam thing, if everone shows up they have a vote, can't change things if you don't show up. Thanks Stan

18. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Guys, It's very simple------It is just in the wrong place! Period---nothing more can be or should be said!!!!!!!!! Blackfoot got it right--not a national shoot and never will be as long it stays in Sparta. Phil S.

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

Matt- You asked "do you think there was this much hate and opposition when the Grand moved around before Vandalia??"

Yes there was. The EC decided not to hold the Grand in Kansas City sometime back around 1920. This made some Western shooters very mad and they started the PITA to compete with the ATA. PITA is still alive and well.

Pat Ireland

20. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong,to be in line for the 200,000 added money, you have to pay 200.00 dollars. Now isn't that against ATA rules saying there is to be NO compulsory purses?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.